Ratio & Root Tests: Convergence & Divergence

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for determining convergence and divergence in two different series. The first series is evaluated using the ratio test and is found to diverge, but the book states that it converges. The second series involves taking the limit as n approaches infinity and simplifying the expression, but there is some confusion about the correct reasoning. The conversation also includes a nitpicky note about the notation used for the sum and a reminder to be consistent with variables when working with infinite sums.
zonk

Homework Statement

Test for convergence and divergence.

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{n!}{3^n}[/itex]

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{{(log (n))}^{1/n}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I get [itex]\frac{(n+1)}{3}[/itex] After applying the ratios. Taking the limit as n approaches infinity, it is greater than 1, so it should diverge. But the book says it converges.

For the second one, I think we have to take the (1/n)th root, which converts it to [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{(log (n))}[/itex]. Is this correct resoning?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind the first one. I was reading the wrong answers.

For the second one,
sum [itex]\frac{1}{{log (n)}^{1/n}}[/itex]
we've already got an nth root in the denominator.
It's tempting to take the nth root, because it's similar to nth root of [itex]x^n[/itex].
Taking the nth root of an nth root isn't what we want.Different, Simpler Method:
What is
[itex]lim {(log (n))}^{1/n}[/itex] as i->oo
?Nitpicky note:
Technically, as given each term is a constant.
The entire sum would evaluate to [itex]\frac{n}{{(log (n))}^{1/n}}[/itex]
because a constant term added n times, is n * constant.
Don't you mean
[itex]\sum_{i=1}^{oo} \frac{1}{{(log (i))}^{1/i}}[/itex] ?
I've assumed that's what you mean throughout my post.

Rule of thumb: with the oo above the sum, it doesn't matter if the variable is i or n, just be consistent that the variable underneath the sum and the variable in the term is the same.
It becomes less nitpicky and more important to distinguish, when you start doing radius of convergence.

Finally, please let us know if you can work it from here, or have further questions.

Related to Ratio & Root Tests: Convergence & Divergence

1. What is the difference between the ratio test and the root test?

The ratio test and the root test are two methods used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. The main difference between them is the type of limit they use to determine convergence or divergence. The ratio test uses the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms, while the root test uses the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of each term.

2. How do you know when to use the ratio test or the root test?

The ratio test is typically used when the series contains factorials, exponentials, or powers of n. The root test is typically used when the series contains nth roots or factorials raised to the power of n. However, in some cases, both tests can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.

3. What is the general rule for determining convergence or divergence using the ratio or root test?

If the limit of the ratio or root is less than 1, the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1 or the limit does not exist, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used to determine convergence or divergence.

4. Can the ratio or root test be used for all series?

No, the ratio and root tests are only applicable to infinite series. They cannot be used for finite series or series with alternating signs. Additionally, they may not be effective for series with complicated terms or terms that do not have a clear pattern.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the ratio and root tests?

While the ratio and root tests are useful for determining the convergence or divergence of many series, they are not foolproof. They may give inconclusive results for some series, and in those cases, other methods such as the comparison test or integral test should be used. Additionally, the tests may provide false results for some divergent series, known as the limit comparison test paradox.