Rate of change of population after 2.5 hours?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate of change of a population after 2.5 hours, given a function that represents the total number of people in millions at a given time. The suggestion is to find the derivative of the function, using the product rule and chain rule.
Math Sucks
Rate of change... derivative?

Homework Statement

the total number of people(in millions) present in a population at a given time is given by the function:

2t(5t+9)^1/2+12

where t represents time (in hours) find the rate in change of the population after 2.5 hours...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

im so confused do i find the derivative ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Math Sucks said:

Homework Statement

the total number of people(in millions) present in a population at a given time is given by the function:

2t(5t+9)^1/2+12

where t represents time (in hours) find the rate in change of the population after 2.5 hours...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

im so confused do i find the derivative ?

Sounds like a good idea to me. The derivative is the rate of change.

i got 10t+9..

10(2.5)+9... 34?

Math Sucks said:
i got 10t+9..

Now how did you get that? Your expression looks like [itex]2 t \sqrt{5 t + 9}+12[/itex], is that right? Looks like you'll need the product rule and chain rule etc to differentiate it.

Last edited:

Related to Rate of change of population after 2.5 hours?

1. What is the definition of rate of change derivative?

The rate of change derivative is the slope of a curve at a specific point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a given point.

2. How is the rate of change derivative calculated?

The rate of change derivative is calculated using the limit definition of the derivative. This involves taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0 of the difference quotient of the function.

3. What is the relationship between rate of change derivative and slope?

The rate of change derivative and slope are essentially the same concept. They both represent the steepness of a curve at a given point. However, the rate of change derivative is a more precise measure as it considers the instantaneous rate of change, rather than the average rate of change over an interval.

4. How is the rate of change derivative used in real-world applications?

The rate of change derivative is used in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems that are constantly changing, such as the velocity of an object or the growth of a population.

5. What is the significance of the rate of change derivative in calculus?

The rate of change derivative is a fundamental concept in calculus. It is used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function, as well as to determine the concavity and inflection points of a curve. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of functions and their graphs.