Rate of Change: How Fast is the Length of a Shadow Decreasing?

In summary, the man's shadow is decreasing at a rate of 10m/s as he walks towards the street lamp, which is 7m above the ground. This can be determined by using similar triangles and setting up a relation between the man's position and the length of his shadow.
jakealucard
A man 1.8 m tall walks at speed of 10m/s towards a street lamp which is 7m above the ground. How fast is the length of the man's shadow decreasing?

My attempt:

Let the man's shadow and the lamp's length be l, and the distance be d and time be t. Given, dd/dt = 10.

I am supposed to find dl/dt.

dd/dt= dl/dt X dd/dl

So how do I find dd/dl?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can imagine the man walking on the x-axis towards the y-axis. Call his position x and the length of his shadow s.
The key to these types of problems is using similar triangles. So we can get a relation between s and x.

(1.8/s) = (7/x+s)

Get s on one side and differentiate with respect to t. And remember dx/dt = -10 since x is decreasing.

I hope i didn't make any mistake. Check the book to make sure if you have the answer.

Draw a picture and think "similar triangles".

Related to Rate of Change: How Fast is the Length of a Shadow Decreasing?

1. What is the definition of rate of change?

The rate of change is a measure of how quickly a quantity is changing over a certain period of time. It is typically represented as a slope or derivative of a function.

2. How do you calculate the rate of change?

The rate of change is calculated by finding the difference in the value of the quantity between two points on a graph, and then dividing that difference by the difference in the corresponding time or distance values.

3. What is the unit of measurement for rate of change?

The unit of measurement for rate of change depends on the quantity being measured. For example, if the quantity is distance and the time is measured in seconds, then the unit for rate of change would be meters per second (m/s).

4. What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated over an interval of time, while the instantaneous rate of change is calculated at a specific point in time. The average rate of change can be thought of as the slope of a line connecting two points on a graph, while the instantaneous rate of change is the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph.

5. How is rate of change used in real life?

Rate of change is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed of a car, the growth rate of a population, or the rate at which a disease is spreading. It is also used in physics to understand the motion of objects, and in economics to track changes in prices and trends.