Rate-in rate-out Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation for the concentration of salt in a tank over time. The equation is rearranged and an integrating factor is introduced. The final solution is found to be Q = (20t + (t^2)/10) / (100 + t), with a given initial condition. The answer is confirmed to be correct, but it is noted that it represents the amount of salt in the tank after 100 minutes, not the concentration.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Skjermbilde_2012_04_22_kl_10_55_54_AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I let Q be the concentration of salt in the tank at any time t. Thus, the differential equation should be [itex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = (\frac{1}{10})(2) - \frac{Q(1)}{100 + t} = \frac{1}{5} - \frac{Q}{100 + t}[/itex]. Rearranging terms,

[itex]\frac{dQ}{dt} + \frac{Q}{100 + t} = \frac{1}{5}[/itex]. We construct an integrating factor: [itex]θ(t) = e^{\int \frac{1}{100 + t} dt} = e^{ln(100 + t)} = 100 + t[/itex]. We introduce the integrating factor,

[itex](Q(100 + t))' = 20 + \frac{t}{5}[/itex] and integrate both sides to find [itex]Q(100 + t) = 20t + \frac{t^2}{10} + C[/itex]. Thus,

[itex]Q = \frac{20t + \frac{t^2}{10} + C}{100 + t}[/itex]. Given that [itex]Q(0) = 0[/itex], we can solve for C: [itex]Q(0) = 0 = \frac{20(0) + \frac{(0)^2}{10} + C}{100 + (0)} = \frac{C}{100}[/itex] which implies that C must equal zero. Thus,

[itex]Q(100) = \frac{20t + \frac{t^2}{10}}{100 + t} = \frac{2000 + 1000}{200}[/itex]

Have I done this correctly? I suppose my answer is more like the concentration after 100 minutes, but I'm worried because it seems like I don't have much simplifying to do, as the problem hints that I should. Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good :smile:
And that is the amount of salt in the tank after 100 minutes, not the concentration. As for not simplifying it, that should be okay, unless you just want to plug in 100 for t and do absolutely no simplifying after that.

Related to Rate-in rate-out Differential Equation

1. What is a Rate-in Rate-out Differential Equation?

A Rate-in Rate-out Differential Equation is a mathematical model used to describe the change in a quantity over time. It takes into account the rate at which the quantity is increasing or decreasing, as well as the rate at which it is entering and leaving the system.

2. How is a Rate-in Rate-out Differential Equation different from a regular Differential Equation?

A Rate-in Rate-out Differential Equation is a special type of Differential Equation that includes two additional terms, representing the rates at which the quantity is entering and leaving the system. This allows for a more accurate representation of real-world systems where quantities are constantly changing due to inputs and outputs.

3. What are the applications of Rate-in Rate-out Differential Equations?

Rate-in Rate-out Differential Equations are commonly used in fields such as biology, chemistry, economics, and engineering to model dynamic systems. They can be used to study population growth, chemical reactions, economic trends, and many other phenomena where quantities are constantly changing.

4. How do you solve a Rate-in Rate-out Differential Equation?

There is no general method for solving Rate-in Rate-out Differential Equations, as the solution depends on the specific system being modeled. However, there are various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods that can be used to find approximate solutions.

5. What are the limitations of using Rate-in Rate-out Differential Equations?

Rate-in Rate-out Differential Equations assume that the rates of change are constant, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. They also do not take into account external factors that may affect the system, and the accuracy of the model depends on the accuracy of the input data. Therefore, they should be used with caution and in conjunction with other modeling techniques.