How Does the Metric Affect Index Position in Tensor Contractions?

• Thread starter S.P.P
  • Start date
In summary, in the conversation, it is discussed that in GR, the metric can raise or lower indices, and the question of which index will be raised in the given case is raised. It is then clarified that the expression \delta^{ij} \partial_i \xi_j is equal to both \partial^j \xi_j and \partial_i \xi^i , and it is noted that the order in which the contractions are done does not matter. Finally, it is mentioned that \delta^{ij} \partial_i \xi_j is a scalar quantity.
S.P.P
In GR the metric can raise or lower indices, but which index will it raise in this case:

[itex] \delta^{ij} \partial_i \xi_j [/itex]

is it,

[itex] \partial^j \xi_j [/itex]

or,

[itex] \partial_i \xi^i [/itex]

Or are these equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
S.P.P said:
In GR the metric can raise or lower indices, but which index will it raise in this case:

is it,

or,

Or are these equal?

Didn't you actually mean [itex] g^{ij} \partial_i \xi_j [/itex]??
In that case, yes, it is equal to both the expressions you gave, which are equal to one another.

Brilliant, thanks very much! :smile:

Note that int both
and
you will be doing a further contract. What you are really saying is that the order in which the contractions are done does not matter.
is a scalar quantity.

Related to How Does the Metric Affect Index Position in Tensor Contractions?

What is the purpose of raising and lowering indices?

The purpose of raising and lowering indices is to simplify and manipulate mathematical expressions involving exponents. By raising or lowering indices, we can rewrite expressions in a more compact form and make them easier to solve.

What is the difference between raising and lowering indices?

Raising indices involves moving an exponent from the base of a term to the top, while lowering indices involves moving an exponent from the top of a term to the base. This process is also known as changing the power of a term.

What are the rules for raising and lowering indices?

The rules for raising and lowering indices include: when raising an index, multiply the exponents; when lowering an index, divide the exponents; when raising an index to a power, multiply the exponents; and when lowering an index to a power, divide the exponents.

How do I simplify expressions using raising and lowering indices?

To simplify expressions using raising and lowering indices, we use the rules mentioned above to rewrite the expressions in a more compact form. This can help us solve equations and perform calculations more easily.

Can I raise or lower any term in an expression?

No, you can only raise or lower terms that have exponents. For example, you can raise or lower the indices of variables, but not of constants or coefficients.