Rare Band Names: How Many Have You Heard Of? Share Your Count Now!

• Thread starter Dmitry67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, this experiment is flawed because it is not realistic, and people are not likely to take the time to answer if they do not know the band.
Dmitry67
This is an experiment, I want to check how rare my music preferences are.
Could you read the list below
if any band name rings a bell for you then post the band name, and the total number of the bands you know in that list.
If it is 0 please post 0.
Thank you

After Forever
Artrosis
Atargatis
Bloodflowerz
Dark Princess
Dark Sanctuary
DarkWell
Delain
Draconian
Dream Of Sanity
Edenbridge
Epica
Evanescence
Evig Natt
Forever Slave
Godyva
Heavenly Bride
Imperia
Lacrimosa
Lacuna coil
L'ame Immortelle
Leaves' Eyes
Luca_Turillis_Dreamquest
Lunatica
Macbeth
Magica
Mandragora Scream
Mechanical Moth
Midnattsol
Missa Mercuria
Mortal Love
Nemesea
Nemesis
Nightwish
Octavia Sperati
Odes of Ecstasy
Peccatum
Penumbra
Seducia
Sengir
Silentium
Sirenia
Stream of Passion
The Gathering
Theatre of Tragedy
To Elysium
Tristania
Visions of Atlantis
Within Temptation
Xandria

Science news on Phys.org
Dmitry67 said:
This is an experiment, I want to check how rare my music preferences are.
Why do you expect this experiment will work ? I expect that, most people reading your message will skim through the first names. If they find a name they know, they will relate to you and be more likely to answer than if they do not. If they do not find any name they know, they will most likely get bored and not take the time to answer. If your goal is to prove to yourself that your music preferences are somehow unusual, you may therefore underestimate your unusualness. If your goal is to prove that your musical tastes are shared by many, you may be fooled into thinking they are. In any case, I think your test is biaised.

See, for instance, I would not have answered, were it for the fact that I like to debunk statistical tests :-p

humanino said:
Why do you expect this experiment will work ? I expect that, most people reading your message will skim through the first names. If they find a name they know, they will relate to you and be more likely to answer than if they do not. If they do not find any name they know, they will most likely get bored and not take the time to answer. If your goal is to prove to yourself that your music preferences are somehow unusual, you may therefore underestimate your unusualness. If your goal is to prove that your musical tastes are shared by many, you may be fooled into thinking they are. In any case, I think your test is biaised.

See, for instance, I would not have answered, were it for the fact that I like to debunk statistical tests :-p

How flawed is this experiment? humanino responded and still didn't answer the question!

BobG said:
How flawed is this experiment? humanino responded and still didn't answer the question!
Are you calling me a saboteur !?

edit
Maybe there are not only conceptual problems with the design of the experiment, but practical ones related to where it takes place.

Not to mention that people might be tempted to say that they know these bands just to yank his chain.

One, Evanesence edit oops didn't see lacuna coil,,, two.

Last edited:
Your music preferences are totally rare.

BTW, if we just post "0" we don't meet the 4-character minimum required for posting.

If Any of these bands on this long list were real bands then they would have to have some kind of following or they would not exist outside the garage. They would not be selling music.
If I posted that I listen to the music sung by the woman who sang UmPaPa in the movie Oliver and claimed to be unusual because I do and no one else does, I am really saying "I need a hug and i need it fast" please.

glondor said:
One, Evanesence
Same.

Evanesence

2, lacuna coil and evanescence... and both of them sound the same so i can only come to the conclusion that all of the bands on that list sound like those two as well.

YOUR MUSICAL TASTES AREN'T SO OBSCURE AFTER ALL, ITS A HOAX!

I know 32 of the 60 total bands, but have not the 10 minutes needed to jot them all down. Flawed!

humanino said:

Your logic is flawless, I am supremely impressed.

ok, thank you
all these bands are real, and some of them are well-known, for example Nightwish, Within Temptation, After Forever, L'ame Immortelle

I thinkthe problem is that most of you are from the US, so you know only Evanescence (the only US band in that list)

For some reason there is almost no goth music in the US

all of them actually.

Dmitry67 said:
I thinkthe problem is that most of you are from the US, so you know only Evanescence (the only US band in that list)
These was a poll open once on where people are from IIRC.

May I ask what kind of music these bands play?

Evanescence.

They all seem to have a dark feeling to them...am I correct? lol

You just listed about 50 bands that are almost exactly the same. So it's definitely not rare.

I'm sure there are a lot of Goth Rock fans who have the same list.

Yes, any of my goth friends could probably name most of those bands. I can recognize a few.

Why are you concerned with how obscure your musical tastes are?

I have to admit, I was more interested in why music tastes in US and Europe do not intersect... It appears I was right...

Dmitry67 said:
I have to admit, I was more interested in why music tastes in US and Europe do not intersect... It appears I was right...

Enrique Iglesias, Cascada, DHT?

I'm not sure you've proved your tastes are rare. Only that if you plotted a venn diagram of physicists and goths, there'd be a very small overlap ;-)

Only Evanescence for certain. A couple others sound very remotely familiar, but even if I have really heard of them, I almost certainly haven't heard any of their music.

Redbelly98 said:
BTW, if we just post "0" we don't meet the 4-character minimum required for posting.

but if you post "zero" you would... (of course instructions say "0").

I picked one randomly from the list, Penumbra. Found a live number off of Youtube, "Torrent of Fears."

I don't think the genre is rare.

Last edited:
Dmitry67 said:
ok, thank you
all these bands are real, and some of them are well-known, for example Nightwish, Within Temptation, After Forever, L'ame Immortelle

For some reason there is almost no goth music in the US

Perhaps, but I could just as easily post a list of obscure bands that I like. For example, here's a short list of my favorite bands:
Wild Asparagus
Uncle Gizmo
Jay Ungar and Molly Mason
Elftones
Skip Gorman​
And then I could say (to anybody who hasn't heard of any of them) that the problem is you don't go to contra dances.

About two or three that I KNOW.

Draconian
Evanescence
Lacrimosa
Lacuna coil
Nightwish
Within Temptation

6: I listen to 4 of them and 2 ring a bell

I only need to recognise one of them to realize that you taste in music is indicative of a fat 17 year old goth.

Not that there's anything wrong with fat gothsIs rareness a quiality you look for in the music you listen to? does it add to your appreciation of it?

(2) Evanescence and Nemesis.

Three maybe four. Not really into goth.

Thank you
So it is not hopeless...

Back