Ranking Lewis Acids: Weak to Strong - Resources & Tables

In summary, the lewis acids listed are all soft acids and can be classified as either strong or weak based on their electron withdrawing and electron releasing properties.
endy
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone could post some resources on lewis acids: ie weak to strong lewis acid ranking
or maybe some table or chart of lewis acids and their reactivity

I haven't been able to find any resources thus far regarding lewis acids and their reactivity rankings...

... thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done any research on the problem?

well after checking out couple organic synthesis books... yes, and results aren't as clear cut as expected

I understand that the metal's unoccupied molecular orbitals and the electronegativity of its subsituents affect its ability to accept electrons but all the material I've read categorizes them as either strong or weak lewis acids (vague). There seems to be no numerical way of evaluating the acidity of a lewis acid. So i was wondering if anyone could give a general ranking.

These are what I might be interested in working with:
Comments on what would be more acidic than the other and why would be appreciated...
(To start off i know AlCl3 is a strong lewis acid, and what is typically used for F-C alkyl/acylations...)

Aluminum isopropoxide ≥98%
Aluminum chloride anhydrous
Aluminum bromide anhydrous

Boron trichloride
Boron trifluoride
Boron trifluoride tetrahydrofuran complex

Iron(III) chloride anhydrous,
Iron(III) bromide

Montmorillonite

Tin(IV) chloride

Titanium(IV) chloride

Titanium(IV) isopropoxide

You are actually asking several questions in one. Lewis acids are not usually ranked for strength like mineral acids are but many of the same principles apply. In general, electron withdrawing groups increase the acidity of the metal and electron releasing groups lower the acidity. If the substituted group is bulky and prevents close approach by the reacting species, effective acidity can be lowered. Hard/soft acid analysis is important. Hard acids are acids with high charge and small size while soft acids have lower charge and larger size. Iron(II) chloride is a softer acid than iron(III) chloride, for example. Zinc(II) chloride is a stronger Lewis acid than cadmium(II) chloride.
Since Lewis acids are electron acceptors, some knowledge of electron affinity is useful as well. Does that help?

Related to Ranking Lewis Acids: Weak to Strong - Resources & Tables

1. What is a Lewis acid?

A Lewis acid is a chemical species that can accept a pair of electrons from another species, known as a Lewis base, to form a chemical bond. It is named after American chemist Gilbert N. Lewis.

2. How do you rank Lewis acids from weak to strong?

The ranking of Lewis acids from weak to strong is determined by their ability to accept electrons. The stronger the acid, the better it is at accepting electrons. This is often measured by the acid's electronegativity or its tendency to form a strong bond with a Lewis base.

3. What are some common examples of Lewis acids?

Some common examples of Lewis acids include metal ions such as aluminum, boron, and zinc; non-metallic elements such as phosphorus, sulfur, and chlorine; and molecules such as carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide.

4. Where can I find resources and tables for ranking Lewis acids?

There are many resources and tables available for ranking Lewis acids, including textbooks, scientific journals, and online databases. Some commonly used resources include the Pearson Hardness Scale, the ECW Model, and the HSAB Principle.

5. Why is it important to understand the ranking of Lewis acids?

Understanding the ranking of Lewis acids is important because it helps predict the reactivity of different chemical species and their ability to form new chemical bonds. This information is crucial in many fields of chemistry, including organic synthesis, catalysis, and materials science.