What happens when a strong base is added to a weak acid?

• Thread starter lha08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Weak
In summary, when adding a base to a weak acid like acetic acid, it will form an equilibrium and produce hydronium ion and acetate ion as products. The added base, typically in the form of NaOH, will react with the strong conjugate acid to neutralize it and favor the reverse reaction. This will result in the formation of water and a solution dominated by hydrolysis of the acetate ion. Ultimately, the pH can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
lha08

Homework Statement

In my textbook, they don't necessarily explain what happens when we add a base to a weak acid (e.g. acetic acid)...so I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I got it down:

-Like if we have acetic acid (which is a weak base) in water, it will form an equilibrium and form the hydronium ion (is this a strong conjugate acid?) and the acetate ion (strong conjugate base) as products.

-If we add NaOH, this will dissociate into Na+ and OH-...the OH- being a strong base will likely react with the strong conjugate acid (hydronium ion) in order to negate the effects of the added base.

-So essentially, this will favour the reverse reaction (does it bring it to completion since its a strong conjugate acid?)

-In the end, the OH- that reacts with the hydronium ion will form water which doesn't affect the pH...?

I don't really feel confident about my understanding though...it seems that I'm overthinking it...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
lha08 said:
Like if we have acetic acid (which is a weak base)

Let's call it a weak acid.

When you add strong base it will neutralize the acid, you may assume neutralization was quantitative. There is always some hydrolysis of the conjugate base, at the same time acid left dissociates lowering pH. Safest way of calculating pH is to assume neutralization went to completion and use Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

When all acid has been neutralized (which means there is just a solution of sodium acetate) situation is dominated by hydrolysis, and you can calculate pH assuming you have a solution of a weak base (acetate).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What happens when a strong base is added to a weak acid?

1. What is the purpose of adding NaOH to a weak base?

Adding NaOH to a weak base is commonly done in order to neutralize the weak base and form a salt. This can also result in the formation of water, depending on the chemical equation.

2. How does adding NaOH affect the pH of a weak base solution?

Adding NaOH to a weak base solution will increase the pH, making it more basic. This is due to the strong basic nature of NaOH, which can easily react with the weak base and increase the concentration of hydroxide ions in the solution.

3. Can adding NaOH change the concentration of the weak base?

Yes, adding NaOH can change the concentration of the weak base in the solution. This is due to the neutralization reaction between the two compounds, resulting in a decrease in the concentration of the weak base and an increase in the concentration of the salt formed.

4. How much NaOH should be added to neutralize a weak base?

The amount of NaOH needed to neutralize a weak base will depend on the concentration of the weak base and the volume of the solution. This can be calculated using the equation M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 and V1 are the initial concentration and volume of the weak base, and M2 and V2 are the final concentration and volume after adding NaOH.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when adding NaOH to a weak base?

Yes, NaOH is a strong base and can be corrosive and harmful if not handled properly. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to handle the solution with caution. It is also recommended to add NaOH slowly and in small amounts to avoid splashing or spills.