Range of Uniform convergence of dirchlet series

In summary: The textbook you're using is Arfken et al. (2013), and the person who wrote the answer you are asking for is Euge J. Weierstrass.
They are different stated like that because (p...) excludes p, and [p ...] includes p. But once we have that p > 0, they then both exclude p?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that's not true. The open interval $(a, b)$ is defined as the set of real numbers $x$ such that $a < x < b$; the half-open interval $[a, b)$ is defined as the set of real numbers $x$ such that $a \le x < b$. Here, we may allow $b = \infty$. Thus $(a,\infty)$ consists of those $x$ which satisfy $a < x < \infty$; similarly for $[a,\infty)$. For all real numbers $a$, $a\in [a,\infty)$ but $a\notin (a,\infty)$.

After some more fiddling with trying to grasp this, (from what you have explained, but also from what my prof said - he will be setting the end of year exam), I came up with the following:

If I was asked to write $ p \lt x \lt \infty $ as an interval, by definition I would write $ x \epsilon (p, \infty) $

If I was then told that $ p \gt 1 $ is a fixed parameter and that we had previously found that p is included in the interval, then I would write $ x \epsilon [p, \infty), p > 1 $ - I hope this is correct and well reasoned?

Then, if I wanted to try and write this semi-closed interval as an algebraic inequality, I would write $ 1 \lt p \lt x \lt \infty $, with p 'fixed' as P > 1

Have I got it?

You're so close! If you remove the "$x\in$" then you would be absolutely correct. [emoji2]

Thanks, Euge - but why remove the $ x \epsilon $ ... and do you mean from both places I have used it? ? x is the variable that we are trying to find the range for?

The notation $x\in (a, b)$ is not interval notation, but it express membership; it's $(a, b)$ itself that's interval notation. That's what I meant.

Hi Euge, I thought you might like to know, I found that the radius of convergence with the Weierstrauss test MUST be a closed interval, that helped. But what finally put my mind at rest, was to check convergence using the integral test - that showed me very clearly where the parameter (s) comes from.

A sincere thanks for your patience, it all finally came together for me - joy!

Last edited: