Range of Left Multiplication Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of left multiplication and its relation to the matrix A. The conversation also touches on the rank and range of the transformation L_A, as well as clarifying the notation used for matrices and vectors. Finally, there is a brief explanation of how to find the range using row reduction.
nautolian

Homework Statement

Consider the left multiplication L_A:R^4->R^3 corresponding the matrix A:

1 2 -1 3 = 2
2 4 -1 6 = 5
0 1 0 2 = 3

What is the rank of L_A and the Range of L_a?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two main problems with this question. First, what is the left multiplication? I can't seem to find it anywhere and the prof said that we should know it from previous classes, but I have never heard of the left multiplication. Secondly, I understand that that the Range is supposed to be the solution space for Ax=B: is that correct?
Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
nautolian said:

Homework Statement

Consider the left multiplication L_A:R^4->R^3 corresponding the matrix A:

1 2 -1 3 = 2
2 4 -1 6 = 5
0 1 0 2 = 3
Why are the = signs in there?

This is A.
1 2 -1 3
2 4 -1 6
0 1 0 2
nautolian said:
What is the rank of L_A and the Range of L_a?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two main problems with this question. First, what is the left multiplication?
Edit: L_A is a transformation whose matrix representation is A. L_A takes a vector in R4 as input, and produces a vector in R3.

The transformation L_A corresponds to A times a vector. Here A is on the left.

nautolian said:
I can't seem to find it anywhere and the prof said that we should know it from previous classes, but I have never heard of the left multiplication. Secondly, I understand that that the Range is supposed to be the solution space for Ax=B: is that correct?
No. In the equation Ax = b, the range of A is the set {b | b = Ax}

Capital letters are usually used to represent matrices, and lower case letters are usually used to represent vectors.
nautolian said:
Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Oh, I see. Thank you. So for the Range, because they give you what the system of equations equals, would that be your b? or would you solve for Ax=b where b is, say, (x,y,z)?
Thanks again.

Your problem statement isn't very clear. Are they asking whether <2, 5, 3>T is in the range of L_A?

Or are they asking what is the range of L_A?

nautolian said:
or would you solve for Ax=b where b is, say, (x,y,z)?
Your notation is confusing, because in your first equation x is a vector, while in b, x is the first component.

To find the range, write the matrix equation Ax = b as an augmented matrix like so: [A | b], where b = <b1, b2, b3>T. Then row-reduce this augmented matrix. What you're finding is that for any vector b, is there a vector x such that Ax = b?

Related to Range of Left Multiplication Matrix

What is the range of left multiplication matrix?

The range of left multiplication matrix is the set of all possible values that can be obtained by multiplying the matrix with any vector. It is also known as the column space of the matrix.

How is the range of left multiplication matrix calculated?

The range of left multiplication matrix can be calculated by finding the linear combinations of the column vectors of the matrix. These linear combinations form the basis of the range or column space.

Why is the range of left multiplication matrix important?

The range of left multiplication matrix is important because it represents the span of all possible outputs or solutions that can be obtained by multiplying the matrix with any vector. It helps in analyzing the behavior of the matrix in terms of its column vectors.

Can the range of left multiplication matrix be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the range of left multiplication matrix to be empty. This happens when the matrix has linearly dependent column vectors, which means that some of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the others.

How does the range of left multiplication matrix relate to the dimension of the matrix?

The dimension of the range of left multiplication matrix is equal to the number of linearly independent column vectors of the matrix. This is because the range is spanned by these independent vectors and any additional vectors would be redundant.