Range of Function D & R: Find the Answers

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the range of a function dependent on two variables, with the function being D=X1-X2 and R=|D|. It is suggested that the range of R is from 0 to infinity and that of D is from -infinity to infinity. The concept of using normal variables to determine the range is introduced, with the mean, variance, and standard deviation of D being calculated. The distribution of D and R is also discussed, with a question about the range of |x-y| and the probability distribution function. A simpler question about the probability of |U| is posed to clarify the concept.
jayknight
Hi guys...I am having big trouble finding the range of a function dependant on 2 variables.
The function is D=X1-X2.
R=|D|
How do you find the range of R and D?Is the range of R from 0 to infinity and that of D from - infinity to infinity?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For the record,this is the question.

Suppose X1 and X2 are independent normal variables with mean m and standard deviation s. Define the difference
D = X1 – X2
Remember that any linear combination of normal variables is itself normally distributed, so it follows that D is normally distributed.
(i) Write down the mean, variance, and standard deviation of D.
(ii) Now define the range ( R ) as the absolute value of D. That is:
R = D|
Sketch the distribution of D, and hence sketch the distribution of R.

if the question was f(x) = x could you figure out the range? Is there a way you could make your function D look and behave like f(x)? The range of |D| is going to be the range of D that is postive union with the positive version of the range of D that is negative.

JonF said:
if the question was f(x) = x could you figure out the range? Is there a way you could make your function D look and behave like f(x)? The range of |D| is going to be the range of D that is postive union with the positive version of the range of D that is negative.

According to my calculations,it is a stright line passing thru x=X1 and y=-X2.For the modulus of this...Id say the y-intercept becomes y=X2.

However the fact that the question suggests the shape of normal distribution confuses me.According to my diagram,the fn is an inverted version of the normal distribution curve but with sharp edges instead of a curve like geometry.

jayknight said:
According to my calculations,it is a stright line passing thru x=X1 and y=-X2.For the modulus of this...Id say the y-intercept becomes y=X2.

This is a function from R^2 to R, so it's graph can't be a line - it is a surface in R^3. Actually it is a plane.

If we use the range in its traditional meaning, then it is the z in R for which there are x and y with f(x,y)=-x-y=z. Clearly, if x,y are in R this poses no restriction on z, so the range is R.
However the fact that the question suggests the shape of normal distribution confuses me.According to my diagram,the fn is an inverted version of the normal distribution curve but with sharp edges instead of a curve like geometry.

The is now something else. x and y are now random variables, and you're asked to sketch the distribution of |x-y|. x-y is normal (and in particular this implies the answer to the first part of your question), so you can plot that distribution and this has nothing to do with the previous question you asked. What is the distribution of x-y? Sketch it. What is the distibution of |x-y|?

Last edited:
matt grime said:
This is a function from R^2 to R, so it's graph can't be a line - it is a surface in R^3. Actually it is a plane.

If we use the range in its traditional meaning, then it is the z in R for which there are x and y with f(x,y)=-x-y=z. Clearly, if x,y are in R this poses no restriction on z, so the range is R.

The is now something else. x and y are now random variables, and you're asked to sketch the distribution of |x-y|. x-y is normal (and in particular this implies the answer to the first part of your question), so you can plot that distribution and this has nothing to do with the previous question you asked. What is the distribution of x-y? Sketch it. What is the distibution of |x-y|?
Hey Matt. Thanks for that. But I still am not very clear about the distribution situation. Isnt the the distribution got using the probability distribution function? And also..the modulus of x-y...I can't picture the modulus of a distribution fn. If the fn is on the positive subaxis inthe graph,the modulud would be the same grapg right? I get the feeling my understanding of this subject is a bit flawed.

jayknight said:
Hey Matt. Thanks for that. But I still am not very clear about the distribution situation. Isnt the the distribution got using the probability distribution function?

the distribution of what?

And also..the modulus of x-y...I can't picture the modulus of a distribution fn.

x-y is normal of mean 0. The probability that |x-y| is in the interval [a,b] (with 0<=a<b) is the probability x-y is in [a,b] plus the probability y-x is in [a,b]. Which is what? (x-y and y-x are identically distributed, remember).

matt grime said:
x-y is normal of mean 0. The probability that |x-y| is in the interval [a,b] (with 0<=a<b) is the probability x-y is in [a,b] plus the probability y-x is in [a,b]. Which is what? (x-y and y-x are identically distributed, remember).
hmm..is it just the positive part of the probability distribution curve?

No. (Though it is not clear what 'it' means.)

Let's try a simpler question.

Suppose U is a random variable, and U=-1 with prob 1/2 and 1 with prob 1/2. What is the probability that |U|=1?

Now suppose that U instead is the uniform distribution on {-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3}. What is the probability that |U| is either 1 or 2?

Related to Range of Function D & R: Find the Answers

What is "Range of Function D & R: Find the Answers"?

"Range of Function D & R: Find the Answers" is a scientific concept that refers to the set of values that a specific function can output for a given set of input values.

What are some examples of functions with a finite range?

Functions such as sine, cosine, and exponential functions have finite ranges, meaning that their output values are limited to a certain range of numbers.

How is the range of a function related to its domain?

The range and domain of a function are closely connected, as the domain represents the set of input values and the range represents the set of output values. The domain determines the possible input values that the function can take, which in turn affects the range of output values.

How can the range of a function be determined?

The range of a function can be determined by graphing the function and observing the set of output values, or by algebraically manipulating the function to solve for the output values.

Why is understanding range of function important in science?

Understanding the range of function is crucial in science as it allows scientists to predict and analyze the behavior of various physical phenomena and systems. It is also essential in solving mathematical equations and making accurate predictions in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.