Range of a trigonometric function

In summary, the range of the function y=(2cosx+1)/(2cosx-1) algebraically can be found by reducing it to y= tan(3x/2)/tan(x/2) and considering the discontinuity at x=pi/6. The range is (-oo,1/3] U [3,+oo), with the function approaching infinity and minus infinity at certain points.
terabite22

Homework Statement

Find the range of the function: y=(2cosx+1)/(2cosx-1) algebraically

Homework Equations

Reducing it, I obtained: y= tan(3x/2)/tan(x/2), but the discontinuity confuses me

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it with my calculator and this is the result:

Ran = (-oo,1/3] U [3,+oo) but I hope I can get help with the algebraic solution.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The discontinuity is quite useful, as that informs you that the range of the function reaches infinity and minus infinity. If cosx=1/2, then x=pi/6(along with a variety of other numbers). 2cos(pi/6)+1=2. So we have something like 2/e, where e is a small number, when x is near pi/6. If x is less than pi/6, e is negative, and can be arbitrarily small. If x is greater than pi/6, e is positive and arbitrarily small. So if e is negative, it goes to negative infinity, if e is positive it goes to positive infinity.

It's similar to how the graph of 1/x works

Related to Range of a trigonometric function

1. What is the definition of range in a trigonometric function?

The range of a trigonometric function refers to the set of all possible output values of the function. In other words, it is the collection of all y-values that the function can produce.

2. How do you determine the range of a trigonometric function?

To determine the range of a trigonometric function, you can use the properties and characteristics of the specific trigonometric function. For example, the range of sine and cosine functions is always between -1 and 1, while the range of tangent and cotangent functions is all real numbers.

3. Can a trigonometric function have an infinite range?

Yes, certain trigonometric functions, such as tangent and cotangent, have an infinite range as their output values can be any real number.

4. How does the amplitude affect the range of a trigonometric function?

The amplitude of a trigonometric function affects the range by limiting the maximum and minimum values that the function can produce. For example, the amplitude of a sine function is the distance from the midline to the maximum or minimum point, which determines the range of the function.

5. Can the range of a trigonometric function be negative?

Yes, the range of a trigonometric function can be negative depending on the function and the input values. For example, the range of the cosine function can be any real number, including negative values.