Random Walk on a Circle: How Does the Last Unique Position Visited Distribute?

In summary, we are considering a random walk on a circle of N points and looking at the distribution of the last unique position visited, denoted X[T]. By using results from the Gambler's Ruin problem and considering the state of the random walk based on the number of unique points discovered and their direction, it can be shown that the distribution of X[T] is uniform over the set {1,...,N-1}.
sam_bell

Homework Statement

Consider a random walk on a circle of N points, labeled {0,1,...,N-1}. Let the initial state be X = 0 and define T to be the first time all points have been visited at least once. Show that the distribution of X[T] (i.e. last unique position visited) is uniform over {1,...,N-1}.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the basic formulas for Markov chains; including absorption probabilities, invariant distribution, and return times. The book makes an analogy to the Gambler's Ruin problem to show E[T] = N(N-1)/2. Still, I don't know where to start.

Thanks for the help,
Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
I made some progress. I borrowed a result from the Gambler's Ruin problem: For the finite segment {0,...,n} the probability of being absorbed to x = n starting from x = 1 is 1/n. Knowing this, I can consider the state of the random walk on a circle by how many unique points have been discovered, and whether the last discovery was a counterclockwise point (akin to x = n) or a clockwise point (akin to x = 0). For clarity, I attached a picture of the corresponding Markov chain. Then, the final discovered point is determined by how this Markov chain is traversed. If the last discovered point is x = 1, then the Markov chain must have made a CW choice at each step. That has probability p = 1/2 * 2/3 * 3/4 ... * (N-2)/(N-1) = 1/(N-1). For x = 2 there must have been one CCW step. There are N-2 possibilities for this, i.e. p = sum( 1/2*2/3* ... (k-2)/(k-1) * 1/k *1/(k+1) * (k+1)/(k+2) * ... * (N-2)/(N-1) for k=2..N-2) + (special case for k is N-1) = sum( 1/(k(k-1)(N-1)) for k = 2 .. N-2 ) + 1/((N-2)(N-1)) = 1/(N-1) sum( 1/(k-1) - 1/k for k = 2 .. N-1 ) + 1/((N-2)(N-1)) = 1/(N-1). So for x = 1 and x = 2, the probability is p = 1/(N-1) as expected. But this expression gets cumbersome for larger x. There must be an easier way to prove this.

Attachments

• markov_disc.png
    markov_disc.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 912

Related to Random Walk on a Circle: How Does the Last Unique Position Visited Distribute?

1. What is a random walk on a circle?

A random walk on a circle is a mathematical concept where a point or object moves randomly along the circumference of a circle. It is similar to a random walk on a line, but instead of moving in one direction, the point can move in any direction around the circle.

2. How is a random walk on a circle different from a random walk on a line?

A random walk on a circle is different from a random walk on a line because the point can move in any direction around the circle, while a random walk on a line can only move forward or backward. Additionally, a random walk on a circle has a finite number of directions it can move in, while a random walk on a line has an infinite number of directions.

3. What is the purpose of studying random walks on circles?

The study of random walks on circles has applications in various fields, such as physics, biology, and finance. It can help researchers understand and model complex systems, such as the movement of particles in a liquid, the behavior of animals searching for food, or the fluctuation of stock prices.

4. How is a random walk on a circle simulated?

A random walk on a circle can be simulated using a computer program or by physically moving an object around a circular path. The movement of the point is determined by a random number generator, which determines the direction and distance of each step.

5. Are there any real-life examples of random walks on circles?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of random walks on circles. Some examples include the movement of molecules in a gas, the flight patterns of birds searching for food, and the navigation of ships and airplanes around the globe. Random walks on circles can also be seen in sports, such as the movement of a ball during a game of billiards or the trajectory of a golf ball on a putting green.