Random thoughts: computers, Internet, security and privacy

In summary, @jim hardy and @WWGD started a thread concerning politics elsewhere and @jim hardy's son loaded Ghostery and Adblock on @jim hardy's machine. This made a difference and some of the sites that earlier wouldn't let @jim Hardy in now will. @jim Hardy is happy with the combination of Linux for security and AdBlock plus.
jim hardy said:
Agreed it's all speculation. I just like to see what creative people are up to. I guess that's why i like PF, hoping some of the smart will rub off on me. I'm a bit slow...

I share your sadness over the decline of the family.
My parents' generation made great progress in mechanizing our everyday life. My Mom remembered her family's first Model T Ford. I remember when only rich people had air-conditioning, indeed i was about five when my Grandparents got electricity.

Zbigniew Brzezinski's phrase "Permissive Cornucopia" in a search engine returns thoughtful essays on the subject of your last paragraph.

If my generation has any accomplishment to brag on i would say it was the explosion of psychology into the mainstream. Self help and 12 step programs abound and if you think there's not a need look at that section in any bookstore.
There's no longer a stigma attached to seeing a "shrink" and US employers over a certain size are required to have one available - see "Employee Assistance program". We're realizing mental health needs nurturing too.
A pair of US comedians Homer and Jethro(sometimes called"Thinking man's hillbilly singers" ), presciently quipped around 1960 "Soon the'll have psychaiatrists in every Sears and Roebuck store."

Eric Hoffer is being translated into Arabic. Saudi Arabia's king was on Charlie Rose a couple years back advocating his International University . Little things like that give me hope for civilization.

Hope this didn't sound "down" . At my age it's easy to find fault but it's healthier to "Accentuate the Positive" .

On that note,

[End Hijack] icon

old jim

I could copy this whole post to Today I Learned thread because I had to google 5 terms/names I was not familiar with: shrink, Model T Ford- I knew it was a car, didn't know what it looks like, Permissive Cornucopia, Eric Hoffer, Charlie Rose + there were Homer and Jethro that you explained :):iseewhatyoudid:
I fully agree with the ending- let's be positive!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAs6rShaQFqeNjZ4C9ufvF_GQmyiHgcP8pEz7FD86iygRj1lrqCg.jpg

Likes jim hardy
Computer science news on Phys.org
Sophia said:
...because I had to google 5 terms/names...
Sorry , i didnt mean to be obscure.
I feel really honored you took the trouble to check into them.
Thank you for the kind words !

And for your thoughtful posts .

old jim

jim hardy said:
Sorry , i didnt mean to be obscure.
I feel really honored you took the trouble to check into them.
Thank you for the kind words !

And for your thoughtful posts .

old jim
I'm glad that I learned something, no need to apologize! :)

Likes jim hardy
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Everything I hate about computers has a logical explanation :smile:

It sure does!

Since this thread is about internet and privacy, let's quickly go through the basics:

1) There's a (good) reason for (almost) every technique used on internet (few will be successful in proposing a new standard to the IETF that "would make life miserable for every internet user" ;).

2) Things that initially are designed to be good/useful, has over time a slight tendency to 'degenerate' (if not supervised), into something not so nice (second law of thermodynamics ;).

3) No matter what you do, when browsing the web, there must/will be an IP address, so that web server knows where to answer the request (though it must not necessarily be your 'private' IP ;).

4) When requesting a web page, your browser will always expose the User Agent String to the web server, that can look something like this "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_5) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/45.0.2454.101 Safari/537.36" (though it must not necessarily be your true User Agent String ;). Why!? Well, if the web server doesn't know what type of browser the web page should be adjusted for, there's a chance the page will be rendered wrong (beyond that, there's whole bunch of 'personal' information in the array $_SERVER, after your request is received).

5) If JavaScript is enabled, there's more goodies to grab, like: Cookies Enabled, Device Pixel Ratio, Screen Resolution, Browser Window, etc, and there's not much you can do about it (note, everything this far is completely independent of Cookies on/off).

6) If Cookies are enabled, the website will have en option to store a small text file on your computer, that is (primary) used for 'identification', i.e. last time you visited the site you made this or that setting, that now will be remembered by the site. Please note; there is still nothing personal about this, the site does not know your real name, just because you enabled Cookies (howere if you do something really really bad, your IP address will in most cases assist in sending you to jail ;).

7) If you do enter personal information on a site, this info is normally stored in a database, and not in Cookies.

8) The problem with Cookies (IMHO), comes with Third-party Cookies. What's that!? Well, if you visit a_very_nice_site.org and then go to this_site_is_even_nicer.org, and both sites have an 'embedded' banner (i.e. the request goes to a third-party site) from we_are_going_to_steal_your_life.com, the "bad guys" will know (and have the option to store) what you did on internet this day.

9) Now imagine some super smart prodigy came up with the brilliant idea to put a 'prefabricated third-party thumb', on almost every website on the internet... Man, that kid could gather some serious information... and make some serious money... (why didn't I think of this before!? :rolleyes:)

10) And we haven't even touched search engines yet ...​

So, the brutal truth is — you are being watched and tracked, and this is BIG business.

Collusion has changed name to Lightbeam

In the light of all this, one don't know if the following 1989 policy statement from the IAB committee (charged with oversight of the development of internet by ISOC), should bring laughter or cry:

[emphasis mine]
RFC 1087 - Ethics and the Internet

Network Working Group Internet Activities Board
Request for Comments: 1087 January 1989

Ethics and the Internet

Status of this Memo

This memo is a statement of policy by the Internet Activities Board
(IAB) concerning the proper use of the resources of the Internet.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited

[...]

The IAB strongly endorses the view of the Division Advisory Panel of
the National Science Foundation Division of Network, Communications
Research and Infrastructure which, in paraphrase, characterized as
unethical and unacceptable any activity which purposely:

(a) seeks to gain unauthorized access to the resources of the Internet,

(b) disrupts the intended use of the Internet,

(c) wastes resources (people, capacity, computer) through such actions,

(d) destroys the integrity of computer-based information,

and/or

(e) compromises the privacy of users.
P.S: (please forgive me Greg) I did a Livescan on physicsforums.com, and it shows that not even in 'heaven' can we expect the trackers to leave us alone (even if this is very tiny/innocent compared to other monsters out there) ...

2jcarts.jpg

Likes Sophia
Wow @devil, that was so very thorouogh! Thanks :)
DevilsAvocado said:
8) The problem with Cookies (IMHO), comes with Third-party Cookies. What's that!? Well, if you visit a_very_nice_site.org and then go to this_site_is_even_nicer.org, and both sites have an 'embedded' banner (i.e. the request goes to a third-party site) from we_are_going_to_steal_your_life.com, the "bad guys" will know (and have the option to store) what you did on internet this day.
I just want to turn this into a poster for my bedroom :biggrin:

Likes DevilsAvocado
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I just want to turn this into a poster for my bedroom :biggrin:

Send me a copy when it's done! :biggrin:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky

Lol, if it wasn't for NSA 10 Windows 10, one would actually think MS is on the right path. :rolleyes:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
Disclaimer: I guess most on this forum gets it — There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

But to be sure, a short comment on paragraph 8 and "we_are_going_to_steal_your_life.com".

If you're a user on this forum (and have not contributed directly, i.e. Gold member), using Ad blocking/filtering (to avoid third-party tracking) — You are actually stealing Greg's life! :confused:

Greg has invested a big chunk of his life on this site, and expecting him to work as your private slave, for free, must be considered at least as immoral, as third-party trackers making money on your surfing habits ...

This Catch-22 is tricky to find a good answer/solution for. In the business world, it would be considered immoral/stupid not to make easy money (that's available in front of your nose), and the natural assumption must therefore be that 99.9% of the advertisers do take advantage of this additional revenue.

Of course, the obvious solution on PF — Become a Gold Member! :kiss:
[and I think Greg then could live with you blocking DoubleClick...]

Beside this, there are other Easy ways you can support Physics Forums.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Greg Bernhardt
DevilsAvocado said:
If you're a user on this forum (and have not contributed directly, i.e. Gold member), using Ad blocking/filtering (to avoid third-party tracking) — You are actually stealing Greg's life! :confused:

Greg has invested a big chunk of his life on this site, and expecting him to work as your private slave, for free, must be considered at least as immoral, as third-party trackers making money on your surfing habits ...
Ah . . . I'm fully aware of this :smile:

Which is why I tell everybody who even utters a word that has to do with science about PF. I share PF with my classmates (whether they want it or not) all the time.

Actually, ever since I posted the link to PF on my blog, I received a couple messages from people saying thanks for linking (even though one person mentioned that it was extremely weird to link a physics forum on an digital art blog, but whatever).

I'd put flyers in my campus, too, but I lack flyers :confused:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
DevilsAvocado said:
Disclaimer: I guess most on this forum gets it — There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

But to be sure, a short comment on paragraph 8 and "we_are_going_to_steal_your_life.com".

This Catch-22 is tricky to find a good answer/solution for. In the business world, it would be considered immoral/stupid not to make easy money (that's available in front of your nose), and the natural assumption must therefore be that 99.9% of the advertisers do take advantage of this additional revenue.

Of course, the obvious solution on PF — Become a Gold Member! :kiss:
[and I think Greg then could live with you blocking DoubleClick...]

Beside this, there are other Easy ways you can support Physics Forums.

I buy eBooks from Amazon about once a month or two on average. So should I click the link provided in that thread, search for a book and PF will get 7% from the purchase? Is it that simple?

Sophia said:
I buy eBooks from Amazon about once a month or two on average. So should I click the link provided in that thread, search for a book and PF will get 7% from the purchase? Is it that simple?
I believe that that's it :)

It hurts, but I got everything that I needed for school this year right before I learned about that link o:)

ProfuselyQuarky said:
I believe that that's it :)

It hurts, but I got everything that I needed for school this year right before I learned about that link o:)
That's cool :-)
That's probably the most convenient way to donate.
There could be a banner or a large button on the home page with the link.
Something to remind us all the time that would not be burried in the depths of the site.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Which is why I tell everybody [...]

Keep up the good work! :wink:

Sophia said:
There could be a banner or a large button on the home page with the link.

Yup, if I was Greg, I would put up a BIG banner on login, saying:

Ask not what PF can do for you — ask what you can do for PF!
Be smart; buy ALL your books from here!

[but I guess Greg is a little bit too 'moderate' for this kind of steve-ballmer-ish messages... and maybe we should all be grateful...]

:smile:

Likes Sophia and ProfuselyQuarky
DevilsAvocado said:
Yup, if I was Greg, I would put up a BIG banner on login, saying:
lol . . . that does look kinda gaudy :-p

Perhaps someone could make a PDF flyer with the PF logo and whatnot and then put up the link somewhere so anyone can just print and share? :smile:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
lol . . . that does look kinda gaudy :-p

Yup, it's a dirty work, but someone has to do it. :biggrin:

Nonetheless, you can always relax, knowing that Steve Ballmer is (was) always (much) louder:

OMG, no wonder Win10 looks like it does ... o0)

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Perhaps someone could make a PDF [...]

Great idea! Tell Greg!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
jim hardy said:
They set up an electrolysis cell using heavy water and a palladium electrode...
They were pretty thoroughly discredited
HIJACK ALERT

Referencing post #10.

As I recall, some of the other researchers that tried it also got positive results. A few years ago I ran across a report that all of the occassional positive results used the same lot number of one of the reagents. Turns out that particular lot was contaminated with something radioactive.

So, bad results: Yes
Intentional: Not Necessarily

In an effort to respect the privacy of PF members I have disabled Google Analytics for logged in members. That is one less tracker.

Likes Bran, Sophia, Tom.G and 1 other person
So I am thinking of buying new glasses. I talked about it with a couple of people in a few days while having my phone in the bag or pocket. I am 100% sure I didn't search for anything about glasses on the internet and i haven't written any email, facebook post, chat or forum message about it. Suddenly I see youtube videos about "best glasses for your face shape" and similar and an ad for glasses.
I googled about android listening to people's conversations and it seems that many people have similar stories and it is technically possible.
Am I paranoid?
What do you think about that?

Here is something about it (and a math professor has something to say about it): http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35639549

I googled and found various people talking about the same thing. It is clear beyond reasonable doubt that it can happen. Programmers know it can happen and it is a reproducible event to the extent of recognizing the words that has been spoken. Just sit down, open Android Studio and write a program to make it do what is being described. But as to it actually happening, I don't know. So in resume: It can happen, but Google rejects the idea of it happening when it responded.
[PLAIN]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproducibility said:
Reproducibility[/PLAIN] is the ability of an entire experiment or study to be duplicated, either by the same researcher or by someone else working independently.
You are not paranoid. Your worry is legitimate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Sophia
Sophia said:
I googled about android listening to people's conversations and it seems that many people have similar stories and it is technically possible.
There's a blogger named Denninger i follow who's been ranting about this for a year.
Smart TV's, Smart Phones are all capable of that. So is a smart voice command automobile entertainment system..
Are they doing it ? I don't know , i own none of the above and won't .
Big Advertising is more annoying than Big Brother.

The walls DO have ears nowadays. Electronic ones.

Likes Sophia
I did a small experiment. I took the phone and talked for a long time about something with high commercial value that I normally never talk about and I have never googled it. I will repeat those words a couple of times and see if it works. It probably won't do anything, but I was bored and curious :-)

I'll also have a look at Denningers blog.

Likes Bran
Sophia said:
The what? :oldconfused:

If it serves you of something, recognizing in Android, if done through the Google API, (to my knowledge) requires the audio stream to be sent to a server since it is the servers the ones that do the speech recognition. Meaning that if used constantly, you would notice heavy network activity and possibly a drain in battery.
The implementation of this API is likely to stream audio to remote servers to perform speech recognition. As such this API is not intended to be used for continuous recognition, which would consume a significant amount of battery and bandwidth.

-Source (which to recognize speech without displaying a dialog also requires the implementation of another interface: RecognitionListener)

I once, while using the speech recognition API for Android for a project at uni experimented with the Japanese engine. It appears the little amount of Japanese I speak, I speak it clearer than English because it was very accurate to recognize my Japanese while when recognizing my English it changed words I had spoken with other words. So either I speak Japanese better than I speak English or the Japanese engine is better at recognizing than the English engine.

How does one even pronounce "though" anyway. Is it like "thought"? I'm going to use the text to speech from Google to show me... Done...

And is it Even though? or Even thought? :confused:

Psinter said:
The what? :oldconfused:

If it serves you of something, recognizing in Android, if done through the Google API, (to my knowledge) requires the audio stream to be sent to a server since it is the servers the ones that do the speech recognition. Meaning that if used constantly, you would notice heavy network activity and possibly a drain in battery.I once, while using the speech recognition API for Android for a project at uni experimented with the Japanese engine. It appears the little amount of Japanese I speak, I speak it clearer than English because it was very accurate to recognize my Japanese while when recognizing my English it changed words I had spoken with other words. So either I speak Japanese better than I speak English or the Japanese engine is better at recognizing than the English engine.

How does one even pronounce "though" anyway. Is it like "thought"? I'm going to use the text to speech from Google to show me... Done...

And is it Even though? or Even thought? :confused:
Jim Hardy mentioned that blog you are confused about. I haven't been there yet.
The thing about huge traffic and battery sounds logical. I didn't notice anything like that.
And I've got strong accent when speaking English as well :-/ I was surprised when Google Now was able to get what I said in English. But when I spoke to my 5yrs old cousin from Australia, sometimes he stared at me like whaaat? And sometimes his grandparents just repeated my words, only with the correct accent and he understood :-D

Last edited:
Sophia said:
Jim Hardy mentioned that blog you are confused about. I haven't been there yet.
The thing about huge traffic and battery sounds logical. I didn't notice anything like that.
Oh, I see.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Great thread idea!

Sophia said:
Now I am happy with the combination of Linux for security and AdBlock plus. It is the right balance between security and usability for me.

I also rely on Linux for personal use. I used to be a Windows user; but too many factors coalesced (efficiency when it comes to use of hardware resources, control over the OS, cost, business philosophy, and hubris with regards to the rights and needs of customers / users), and I decided to give Linux a try (which you can do without even installing Linux - a so-called LiveCD will load in memory and provide a barebones experience, without needing to reside on the hard drive). I scrapped Windows that same day and started using Linux, and have not looked back since. I also use a few privacy-minded extensions in Firefox and am overall quite pleased. A small degree of tracking / profiling is something I can live with, as it does help web-based companies develop and deliver a higher quality service and experience. I also have nothing worth hiding on my computer - for me it is more the issue that I simply prefer to retain control over what I share or do not share. That being said, AdBlock, NoScript, and my browser set to open in private mode work well enough for me. Browser empties on close. I don't mind manually allowing scripts when a page loads - it's still faster than dial-up.

Sophia said:
I don't want to sound like a Linux preacher here. Obviously, there are pros and cons to each OS. It's important to say that many games and some professional programs run only on Windows.

With WINE installed on Linux, you can run a fair amount of Windows programs, to include games. In some cases, gamers have actually reported a performance increase when playing a Microsoft game on Linux using WINE ... that this setup, using a middle man, is as fast or even faster than playing directly on Windows, is a testament to how efficient Linux can be when it comes to using hardware. Then there is also Steam for gaming enthusiasts. The problem with WINE, though, is that at least in theory, Windows-based viruses run over it just as well as any other software written for Microsoft products. I don't game, and I don't use the Windows Emulator; so my experience here is limited to what I have read in various Linux forums.

Psinter said:
The problem I find with most popular linux distribution like Ubuntu, Kubuntu is that they always introduce the last cutting edge technology that is always full of bugs and non-working (too many broken things). I was incredibly happy with my Kubuntu 14.04, but suddenly I could not download packages anymore because it said the sources could not be found so I upgraded. Fatal Error. The new KDE is so full of bugs and I couldn't even launch a terminal.

Cutting edge distros always have something that breaks and makes your life impossible.

First I abandoned Ubuntu because of Unity full of bugs and moved to Kubuntu (I still tried Ubuntu later when Unity was more stable, but I still didn't like it). Then I recently abandoned Kubuntu because the new KDE is so full of bugs (I may try it again when it is more stable). Now I'm looking for something else that is stable.

Upgrades are optional with Linux ... I usually stay on the bleeding edge, though. I back up personal data before upgrading, and prefer to do a clean installation from a disk I've burned with data integrity I've verified before and after the burning process. I also keep in mind what one of my instructors taught me in school, that there are only two kinds of data that exist: the data one has lost, and the data one has not lost yet. That having been said, the new Kubuntu releases I've worked with do seem to have a bit of bugginess to them. I switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu after about six months of use, as it was a little too much like Windows in a few ways. I love Kubuntu / KDE, and as long as I have my personal data backed up, I can handle the occasional re-install of the operating system ... it takes nearly no time at all to install a functioning and fully-updated OS, especially when compared to Windows. I also enjoy tinkering quite a lot, as it helps me better understand what I have in front of me.

Sophia said:
Where will development of home computers /electronic lead?
What I mean is that after watching several reviews of computers, some tablets and recently kindle readers it seems like the difference between older and newer generations is not so big for mainstream consumers who only want to browse the Internet, use office and watch videos.
The resolution of screens had reached the point where human eye can't see the difference in higher resolution. Browsing the Internet has become reasonably fast.
What will persuade/ force this type of customer to buy new models each couple of years when they can do all they want on older machines?
What features will attract them in the future? Or will they be forced to buy new machines as only limited storage will be offered and short - lived non removable battery will eventually make the device unusable?
This is only anecdotal, but it seems that domestic appliances such as fridges or washing machines are built to last for a limited amount of time. Definitely shorter time than used to be in the past.
Will this be the scenario for electronics as well? Or will the developers invent new features to make non-gamer, non-teenager (who suffer from peer pressure) users want to buy new stuff?

Disposability is a business model. Some companies want you to throw away your older products for newer ones, as it increases their revenue. Factors that tech companies use to justify steady upgrades (and with many companies, it's important to point out that these factors are legitimate) include security, stability, and energy / resource efficiency. Personally, I have no problem with this in theory; but in practice, I feel not enough is being done with regards to recycling.

Psinter said:
Here is something about it (and a math professor has something to say about it): http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35639549

I googled and found various people talking about the same thing. It is clear beyond reasonable doubt that it can happen. Programmers know it can happen and it is a reproducible event to the extent of recognizing the words that has been spoken. Just sit down, open Android Studio and write a program to make it do what is being described. But as to it actually happening, I don't know. So in resume: It can happen, but Google rejects the idea of it happening when it responded.

You are not paranoid. Your worry is legitimate.

I agree 100%.

Sophia said:
I did a small experiment. I took the phone and talked for a long time about something with high commercial value that I normally never talk about and I have never googled it. I will repeat those words a couple of times and see if it works. It probably won't do anything, but I was bored and curious :-)

Thus the mind of a true scientist is revealed :-)

Likes Sophia
Bran said:

With WINE installed on Linux, you can run a fair amount of Windows programs, to include games. In some cases, gamers have actually reported a performance increase when playing a Microsoft game on Linux using WINE ...

, I can handle the occasional re-install of the operating system ... it takes nearly no time at all to install a functioning and fully-updated OS, especially when compared to Windows..

Thus the mind of a true scientist is revealed :-)

Great to see another Linux fan here :-)

Yes, Wine is a very useful tool and it had helped me a few times. But I once had a dvd that I needed for work and it was impossible to install it even with wine. I had to create a virtual machine with Windows to make it work. That can be done but for an average user that would be too much I think. So there is still some room for imprisonment when it comes to things like compatibility, installation and making programs and hardware run. In many cases everything can be solved easily, but definitely there are still things that could put an average user off. But once things are installed, Linux is perfect and I wouldn't ever use Windows on my machine again! I love how reliable it is and also the community behind it.
What I like about Linux mint is that you can upgrade straight from the update manager so there is no need for clean install every 6 months. You simply download the upgrade and next time you restart your computer, there's a new version and all your data are still there. (backup is still necessary, of course, but I didn't have to use it).
I also love another thing about the Mint update manager and that is that all updates are rated on scale 1-5 according to their safety and you can choose to install only ones you want. So you are not forced to install all or nothing.

Likes Bran
Sophia said:
What I like about Linux mint is that you can upgrade straight from the update manager so there is no need for clean install every 6 months. You simply download the upgrade and next time you restart your computer, there's a new version and all your data are still there. (backup is still necessary, of course, but I didn't have to use it).

I also love another thing about the Mint update manager and that is that all updates are rated on scale 1-5 according to their safety and you can choose to install only ones you want. So you are not forced to install all or nothing.

I'm generally a fan of any free and open approach to knowledge and technology - most Linux distros seem to share this idea. I'm also always happy to encounter Linux fans (:penguin: - imagine this icon waving 'hello!' in your general direction)!

The clean install is an old habit of mine, from the Windows days, that was reinforced by a catastrophic attempt to upgrade Linux over the Internet. Granted, that was also over a Wi-Fi connection when I was first getting to know Ubuntu. The other reason why I tend toward clean installations is because it gives me the chance to play a little further with different partition setups. What you wrote about the Mint update manager - the rating system - is something I find very attractive and think is a wonderful idea. Which DE are you using with Mint?

What I love most about the update / upgrade process with Linux is the speed at which it happens. When I decide to do a clean installation, from the moment I download, verify and burn and re-verify the OS to the time I am sitting in front of a fully-installed, fully-updated system is a matter of an hour or so. I've performed fresh installations of Windows and seen it take.. so... much... longer. And I know it's a petty thing to nit-pick over, but it seems every update (not upgrade) from Windows used to result in a mandatory restart of the machine, with the obnoxious message "Windows is updating. Do not turn off your machine." It always bothered me that this message seemed more like an order, and I saw it as symbolic for Microsoft's arrogance toward its users. That may have changed lately; but at least for personal computing, I will stay with Linux.

Bran said:
I'm generally a fan of any free and open approach to knowledge and technology - most Linux distros seem to share this idea. I'm also always happy to encounter Linux fans ([emoji14]enguin: - imagine this icon waving 'hello!' in your general direction)!

The clean install is an old habit of mine, from the Windows days, that was reinforced by a catastrophic attempt to upgrade Linux over the Internet. Granted, that was also over a Wi-Fi connection when I was first getting to know Ubuntu. The other reason why I tend toward clean installations is because it gives me the chance to play a little further with different partition setups. What you wrote about the Mint update manager - the rating system - is something I find very attractive and think is a wonderful idea. Which DE are you using with Mint?

What I love most about the update / upgrade process with Linux is the speed at which it happens. When I decide to do a clean installation, from the moment I download, verify and burn and re-verify the OS to the time I am sitting in front of a fully-installed, fully-updated system is a matter of an hour or so. I've performed fresh installations of Windows and seen it take.. so... much... longer. And I know it's a petty thing to nit-pick over, but it seems every update (not upgrade) from Windows used to result in a mandatory restart of the machine, with the obnoxious message "Windows is updating. Do not turn off your machine." It always bothered me that this message seemed more like an order, and I saw it as symbolic for Microsoft's arrogance toward its users. That may have changed lately; but at least for personal computing, I will stay with Linux.
Oh yeah, that Windows message is just great! [emoji14] no one asks you if you want to update right now, it just happens. It was sure a result of Murphy law that updates of Firefox usually took place when I was in a hurry and really needed to check something or send my assignment ASAP.

I prefer not to play with disc partitions because that's too advanced topic for me. But I'm sure it gives you even more control of the machine and you can learn a lot by experimenting with it.

I use cinnamon desktop on mint. I find it the prettiest one. For example, KDE with its x special effects is too much, while Mate is too old fashioned and not pleasant to look at. Cinnamon is the right combination of modernity and simplicity, at least for my taste :-) but that is the magic of Linux, everyone can choose exactly what he likes. You've got full control of your machine and you can make it as simple, fancy, secure or comfortable to use as you like. What's your favourite DE?

Nothing is 100% safe though, as was shown by attack on the mint website a few months ago. One still has to be alert and careful about what he does online. But compared to Windows and the number of viruses and issues I used to get there... Omg that can't be even compared :-)

Likes Bran
Sophia said:
Oh yeah, that Windows message is just great! [emoji14] no one asks you if you want to update right now, it just happens. It was sure a result of Murphy law that updates of Firefox usually took place when I was in a hurry and really needed to check something or send my assignment ASAP.

I prefer not to play with disc partitions because that's too advanced topic for me. But I'm sure it gives you even more control of the machine and you can learn a lot by experimenting with it.

Partitioning is easier than you might think; but I remember how intimidating it was when I was first learning how to do it. I do it because I like the modular approach, and don't much like having to use a partition manager after I've already installed the OS.

Sophia said:
I use cinnamon desktop on mint. I find it the prettiest one. For example, KDE with its x special effects is too much, while Mate is too old fashioned and not pleasant to look at. Cinnamon is the right combination of modernity and simplicity, at least for my taste :-) but that is the magic of Linux, everyone can choose exactly what he likes. You've got full control of your machine and you can make it as simple, fancy, secure or comfortable to use as you like. What's your favourite DE?

Nothing is 100% safe though, as was shown by attack on the mint website a few months ago. One still has to be alert and careful about what he does online. But compared to Windows and the number of viruses and issues I used to get there... Omg that can't be even compared :-)

I'm using Kubuntu; so KDE is my thing. I like what I've seen with Cinnamon; but I guess I just sort of fell in love with KDE, bugs quirks and all, and have yet to fall out of love with it.

Way back when, when I was still a student taking a course on basic networking, our instructor made a big deal about giving a presentation on network security - he invited pretty much every student he could find in the building to attend. Once everyone was there, he asked class members to leave their computers on and walk away from our desks. Then he asked the class who felt brave enough to see just how secure their workstation was. Four people in the class volunteered me - at which point our instructor held up his cell phone and proclaimed that he was going to show that you could force a computer to shut down from outside the network with a cell phone. It was a pretty good idea, and it worked once he tried it on someone else's machine, because as soon as I heard he was giving a big network security demonstration in our class, I quietly disconnected the network cable from my machine. Later in class, after the demonstration was over, I crashed the computer and lost my notes for that day. The moral of this story is that you are 100% correct: nothing is 100% safe, even when you think you have just guaranteed your data's safety, or perhaps especially when you think you have just guaranteed your data's safety. That, and before making changes to the system, it's a smart idea to first backup said system :-)

Likes Sophia
Bran said:
I'm generally a fan of any free and open approach to knowledge and technology - most Linux distros seem to share this idea. I'm also always happy to encounter Linux fans (:penguin: - imagine this icon waving 'hello!' in your general direction)!
Haha, I like that smiley.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Bran
Has anyone run across this Apple Music Subscription deleting your music ?

https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/
When I signed up for Apple Music, iTunes evaluated my massive collection of Mp3s and WAV files, scanned Apple’s database for what it considered matches, then removed the original files from my internal hard drive. REMOVED them. Deleted. If Apple Music saw a file it didn’t recognize—which came up often, since I’m a freelance composer and have many music files that I created myself—it would then download it to Apple’s database, delete it from my hard drive, and serve it back to me when I wanted to listen, just like it would with my other music files it had deleted.

If you’re wondering why Apple hasn’t been sued yet, it’s because the iTunes Terms of Use vaguely warn of this issue, then later indemnify Apple and preclude any litigation from users who’ve been boned:

“iCloud Music Library is turned on automatically when you set up your Apple Music Subscription…When your Apple Music Subscription term ends, you will lose access to any songs stored in your iCloud Music Library.
another blogger's take on it
Companies come into your private property and destroy what you own.

Seriously, that really happens today, and there's nothing you'll do about it. You signed away your right to sue, and what's worse you still buy products and services from firm that do this sort of thing.

Apple Music is a new "subscription" music service. But it has a twist -- when you sign up it will root around your hard drive (and, presumably, any network-attached drives) and any music it "thinks" it has in the "cloud" that it deems to be the "same" was(sic) what you own it will remove from your computer entirely...
...I have never owned a piece of fruit technology and never will.

This sort of outrageous practice, which I remind you began in the music realm for Apple with their iPods and "secured" music that was not transportable to anything else even though you bought it, is why.
https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231367 (caution, strong language)
I've kept my vinyl albums and a turntable.

Likes Sophia