Ralphson-Newton Method And Interval Bisection

In summary, The best starting point for the Ralphson-Newton Method to solve the equation x3-x-1 = 0 is 1.5, as it is halfway between the values of x that result in a sign change in the polynomial. However, any number in the vicinity of 1 and 2 can also work for this method. Other methods, such as the "secant" method, may also be used, but they may only slightly reduce the number of iterations needed to achieve the same accuracy. An "educated guess" of x= 1 is also a suitable starting point for this method.
Procrastinate
I know quite well how to do these. However, most of the time, the starting points are just given to me i.e. the a and b values to starting iterating.

I was just wondering if you were to find a starting point for x3-x-1 = 0, what would be the best starting point to use the Ralphson-Newton Method. My notes say 1.5 but I would like to know the reason behind that.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
An "educated guess". If x= 1, [itex]x^3- x- 1= 1- 1- 1= -2[/itex] and if x= 2, [itex]x^3- x- 1= 8- 2- 1= 5[/itex]. Since the polynomial changes sign between 1 and 2, there is a root between 1 and 2. 1.5, half way between 1 and 2, is a good starting point. That's really applying the "interval bisection" to the first step. But, in fact, any number in the vicinity of 1 and 2 will work.

You might even do this: y goes from -2 to 5, a difference of 7. To go to 0 from -2 is just a difference of 2 so perhaps 2/7 of the way from 1 to 2, 1.289, would be better. (That's the "secant" method.) But that only changes the number of iterations to get the same accuracy by, maybe, one or two. Frankly, I would have been inclined to start with x= 1.

Related to Ralphson-Newton Method And Interval Bisection

1. What is the Ralphson-Newton Method and Interval Bisection?

The Ralphson-Newton Method and Interval Bisection are two numerical methods used in mathematics to approximate the roots of a given function. They are commonly used in optimization problems and numerical analysis.

2. How does the Ralphson-Newton Method work?

The Ralphson-Newton Method is an iterative process that starts with an initial guess for the root of a function and uses the derivative of the function to update the guess and get closer to the actual root. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What is the difference between the Ralphson-Newton Method and Interval Bisection?

The main difference between the two methods is that the Ralphson-Newton Method uses derivative information to update the guess, while Interval Bisection uses the function values at two points to narrow down the interval where the root exists. Additionally, the Ralphson-Newton Method typically converges faster to the root compared to Interval Bisection.

4. When should I use the Ralphson-Newton Method vs Interval Bisection?

The choice between the two methods depends on the nature of the function and the desired level of accuracy. If the function is smooth and has a known derivative, the Ralphson-Newton Method may be more efficient. However, if the function is not differentiable or the derivative is not known, Interval Bisection can still be used to approximate the root.

5. What are the limitations of the Ralphson-Newton Method and Interval Bisection?

Both methods have limitations when it comes to finding roots of certain types of functions. The Ralphson-Newton Method may fail to converge if the initial guess is too far from the actual root or if the function has multiple roots. Interval Bisection may also fail if the function is not continuous or if the root is located at the endpoints of the interval.