Radius of curvature of a Projectile

In summary, the radius of curvature is the distance from the center of a curved object to the point where the curvature of the object is equal to 1.
konichiwa2x
Hi,
A particle is projeted with a velocity 'u' at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the horizontal. Find the radius of curvature of the parabola traced out by the particle at the point where the velocity makes an angle [tex]\theta/2[/tex] with the horizontal.
I got [tex]u^2[/tex]/gcos[tex]\theta/2[/tex] but my book gives a different answer.
Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since you do not claim to have difficulty with the concept of radius of curvature or anything else, I sugest you post your work so we can see where you've gone wrong.

radius of curvature = velocity^2/acceleration acting normal to the path towards the centre

when the angle the velocity makes with the horizontal becomes [tex]\theta/2 , v = ucos\theta/2 + u sin\theta/2[/tex]

resul v = [tex]u^2[/tex]
resolving 'g' along the perpendicular towards the centre, I got gcos[tex]\theta/2[/tex]

so [tex] Radius of c = \frac{u^2}{gcos\theta/2}[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]
v_y ^2= u_y ^2+ 2a_ys
[/tex]
Let the upward direction as positive
For the y-components and
[tex]\theta[/tex]
[tex]
0 = u^2{ \sin^2{\theta}} -2gh
[/tex]
[tex]
h = \frac {u^2 {\sin^2{\theta}}}{2g}
[/tex]

For the [tex]\frac {\theta}{2}[/tex]
[tex]h = \frac {u^2 {\sin^2{\frac {\theta}{2}}}}{2g}[/tex]

Last edited:
The velocity should include both the x- and the y-velocity components. The normal acceleration is fine since the velocity is tangential to the path of the projectile. The x-component of the velocity will be [tex]u\cos(\theta)[/tex], but the y-component changes, since the projectile is accelerating in the y direction. The problem here is that the angle that the projectile makes with the origin is not [tex]\theta /2[/tex].

Last edited:
so is the velocity vector [tex]ucos\theta + usin\theta/2[/tex] ??

For the y-component of the velocity at the point where its angle with the horizontal is [tex]\theta / 2[/tex] you can use the fact that

[tex]\tan(\theta /2) = v_y/v_x[/tex]

This comes for the fact that the velocity vector at any stage in the motion is the resultant of the x-velocity component and y-velocity component of the motion. The angle theta/2 is the angle that the velocity vector is making at that stage with its x-velocity component.

To be mathematically correct you should rather write you equation in vector notation

[tex]\vec{v} = \hat{i}v_x + \hat{j}v_y[/tex]

where the hat vectors are unit vectors in the direction of the x- and y-axes. Just writing a plus between the two components is misleading.

Last edited:
yup i did all that first itself

[tex]tan\theta/2 = \frac{usin\theta - gt}{ucos\theta}[/tex]

so do i do this?
[tex]v = (ucos\theta) + (usin\theta - gt)[/tex]

so do i take the magnitude of this and divide it by [tex]gcos\theta/2[/tex]

Last edited:
Close, but you do not know the time. From the first equation in my previous post we have that

[tex]v_y = v_x \tan(\theta / 2)[/tex]

which gives us the unknown y-velocity component in terms of the known x-velocity component.

Last edited:
ok thanks

so [tex] v = utan\theta/2j + ui [/tex]

[tex] v^2 = u^2tan^2\theta/2 + u^2[/tex]
[tex] v^2 = u^2sec^2\theta/2[/tex]

[tex] radius of curvature = \frac{u^2sec^2\theta/2}{gcos\theta/2}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{u^2}{gcos^3\theta/2}[/tex]

is it correct now?

The x-component of the velocity stays the same during all of the motion of the projectile and is given by

[tex]u\cos(\theta)[/tex]

which means that accoding to the formula in my presvious post that the y-component of the velocity at the required position will be

[tex]u\cos(\theta)\tan(\theta /2)[/tex]

hi,
could you please help me,how to write an algorithm to calculate the radius is measured in steps of 3 degree of projected objects (irregular shaped objects in an image), then the algorithm will be converted to Matlab code.

Related to Radius of curvature of a Projectile

What is the radius of curvature of a projectile?

The radius of curvature of a projectile is the distance between the center of curvature and the trajectory of the projectile at any given point. It represents how much the projectile's path deviates from a straight line.

How does the radius of curvature affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The radius of curvature plays a crucial role in determining the shape and height of a projectile's trajectory. A smaller radius of curvature results in a more curved trajectory, while a larger radius of curvature creates a flatter trajectory.

What factors can influence the radius of curvature of a projectile?

The radius of curvature of a projectile can be influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the gravitational force acting on the projectile. These factors can affect the projectile's speed and direction, thus altering its trajectory and radius of curvature.

Can the radius of curvature change during a projectile's flight?

Yes, the radius of curvature of a projectile can change throughout its flight. This is because the factors that influence it, such as air resistance and gravitational force, can vary as the projectile moves through space. Additionally, the shape of the projectile's trajectory may also change, resulting in a different radius of curvature.

How does the radius of curvature differ for different types of projectiles?

The radius of curvature can vary significantly depending on the type of projectile. For example, a bullet fired from a gun will have a much smaller radius of curvature than a basketball thrown by a player. This is because the factors that influence the projectile's trajectory, such as speed and air resistance, are different for each type of projectile.