Radius of convex spherical mirror?

In summary, the problem was to determine the radius of a convex spherical mirror located 25 ft from a convenience store door, in order for the clerk to be able to see a 6 ft person entering the store at a height of at least 3 inches in the mirror. Using the mirror equation and the magnification formula, the radius was found to be 24 inches, producing a virtual, upright image of the person for the clerk to see. The discrepancy between the expected result of 26 inches and the actual result of 24 inches is due to the use of a convex mirror, which produces a virtual image instead of an inverted one.
gmmstr827
The problem:
"A convex spherical mirror is 25 ft from the door of a convenience store. The clerk needs to see a 6 ft. person entering the store at least 3 inches tall in the mirror to identify them. What is the radius of the mirror?"

d_obj = do = 25 ft = 300 inches
h_img = hi = 3 inches
h_obj = ho = 6 ft = 72 inches

The formulas I tried using:

focal point = f = radius/2 = r/2
1/do+1/di = 1/f = 1/r/2 = 2/r
For convex mirror: m = magnification = hi/ho = -di/do

Work:

hi/ho = -di/do
3/72 = -di/300
di=-12.5 inches

1/do + 1/di = 2/r
1/300 - 1/12.5 = 2/r
r=26 inches

I found the radius to be 26 inches, which seems a bit too large. Is it correct or am I doing something wrong? I feel as though I must somehow incorporate the magnification, but I'm not sure how. It would be -24X but looking at something normally you'll see it as smaller than it is if you're at a greater distance so I'm not sure how to compensate for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
The image is real and upside down, so the height of the image is negative. Therefore, di is positive.

ehild

Edit: I was wrong: The mirror is convex, so the image is upright (virtual). Di is positive!

Last edited:
ehild said:
The image is real and upside down, so the height of the image is negative. Therefore, di is positive.

ehild

d_obj = do = 25 ft = 300 inches
h_img = hi = -3 inches
h_obj = ho = 6 ft = 72 inches

hi/ho = -di/do
-3/72 = -di/300
di=12.5 inches

1/do + 1/di = 2/r
1/300 + 1/12.5 = 2/r
r=24 inches

So the radius of the mirror is precisely 24 inches? That still seems like a rather large convenience store mirror.

It is the radius of the curvature. A spherical mirror is a part of a spherical surface, its diameter can be as small as you like.

ehild

Okay, thank you!

Sorry I was wrong, mixed convex and concave. The clerk does not want to see people upside down! He/she uses a convex mirror, that produces virtual, upright image. For such an image, di is positive, but the focal distance is negative. From the mirror equation, you get f=-13 inch. So the 26 inch for the radius was correct.

ehild

Okay, thanks. I was wondering about the inverted image, though the result seemed better.

Related to Radius of convex spherical mirror?

1. What is the radius of curvature of a convex spherical mirror?

The radius of curvature of a convex spherical mirror is the distance between the center of the mirror and its focal point. It is represented by the letter "R" and is half the diameter of the sphere from which the mirror is cut.

2. How is the radius of a convex spherical mirror measured?

The radius of a convex spherical mirror can be measured by placing the mirror on a flat surface and measuring the distance from the surface to the center of the mirror. It can also be calculated by measuring the distance from the mirror to its focal point using the mirror equation (1/f = 1/R + 1/r), where f is the focal length and r is the distance from the object to the mirror.

3. Does the radius of a convex spherical mirror affect the size of the image produced?

Yes, the radius of a convex spherical mirror does affect the size of the image produced. A smaller radius of curvature will result in a larger image, while a larger radius of curvature will result in a smaller image. This is due to the inverse relationship between the radius of curvature and the magnification of the mirror.

4. How does the radius of a convex spherical mirror affect the focus of the reflected light?

The radius of a convex spherical mirror determines the focal length of the mirror, which in turn affects the focus of the reflected light. A larger radius of curvature will result in a longer focal length, which means that the reflected light will converge at a greater distance from the mirror. A smaller radius of curvature will result in a shorter focal length and a closer point of convergence.

5. Is there a limit to how large or small the radius of a convex spherical mirror can be?

Yes, there is a limit to how large or small the radius of a convex spherical mirror can be. In order for the mirror to function as a spherical mirror, the radius must be greater than or equal to the diameter of the mirror. Additionally, if the radius is too small, the mirror will have a very short focal length and produce distorted images. If the radius is too large, the mirror may not be able to reflect light effectively, resulting in a blurry or dim image.