Radius of a Solid of Revolution

In summary, the radius of a solid of revolution is the distance between the curve and the axis of rotation. The radius is different depending on which axis the curve is rotated around. The radius is simply the distance between the curve and the axis of rotation.
GRB 080319B
Is there a simple or generalized way (formula) to generate the radius of a solid of revolution? How does the orientation of the function relative to the axis of revolution affect the radius (radius= 4-f(x) or 4+f(x))? Why is the radius sometimes only x or y , and other times some other function? I consistently get the radius wrong in the solid of revolution problems with non-zero axis, and don't know if its a conceptual problem or that I just never learned the correct way to determine the radius. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What axis is the curve being rotated about? The radius is the distance from that line, along a line perpendicular to it, to the curve. IF the curve is rotated around the x-axis, then that distance is the y-coordinate of a point on curve. If the curve is rotated around the y-axis then that distance is the x-coordinate.

If the curve is rotated around the line y= -4, the distance is, first 4 up to the x-axis, y=0, and than the y-axis of the point: y+ 4.

HallsofIvy said:
What axis is the curve being rotated about? The radius is the distance from that line, along a line perpendicular to it, to the curve. IF the curve is rotated around the x-axis, then that distance is the y-coordinate of a point on curve. If the curve is rotated around the y-axis then that distance is the x-coordinate.

If the curve is rotated around the line y= -4, the distance is, first 4 up to the x-axis, y=0, and than the y-axis of the point: y+ 4.

When you say the distance between the curve and axis of rotation is the y-coordinate, is the y in (y+4) equal to the function of the curve, or just the y variable, if it's on the curve? I seem to be having this problem understanding when to use just the variable or the function of the curve with work and hydrostatic force questions as well. Also, does it matter where the curve is relative to the axis of rotation and the x and y axes, or just the axis of rotation, when finding the radius? Is finding the radius just a matter of adding or subtracting the value of the axis of rotation depending on if the curve is "above" or "below" the axis of rotation wrt the x and y axes. I'm sorry if you have answered the question already in your reply, I'm just not sure if I'm understanding it completely. Thank you.

GRB 080319B said:
When you say the distance between the curve and axis of rotation is the y-coordinate, is the y in (y+4) equal to the function of the curve, or just the y variable, if it's on the curve? I seem to be having this problem understanding when to use just the variable or the function of the curve with work and hydrostatic force questions as well.
There is no difference. The variable "y" in a coordinate system, is, by definition, the distance from the x-axis to a given curve.

Also, does it matter where the curve is relative to the axis of rotation and the x and y axes, or just the axis of rotation, when finding the radius? Is finding the radius just a matter of adding or subtracting the value of the axis of rotation depending on if the curve is "above" or "below" the axis of rotation wrt the x and y axes.
It is a matter, as I said before, of distance from one point to another. How that is written in terms of x and y will, of course, depend on where the curve is relative to the x and y axes. There is no fixed rule, it depends on the geometry of the situation. When you are rotating around the x or y axes, or axes parallel to them, it is pretty simple and, just like in finding differences between points on an axis, a matter of adding or subtracting. If you were, for example, rotating a curve around the line y= x, that would be more difficult.

I'm sorry if you have answered the question already in your reply, I'm just not sure if I'm understanding it completely. Thank you.

Related to Radius of a Solid of Revolution

1. What is the definition of the radius of a solid of revolution?

The radius of a solid of revolution is the distance from the axis of rotation to any point on the surface of the solid. It is a key measurement used to calculate the volume and surface area of the solid.

2. How is the radius of a solid of revolution calculated?

The radius of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the formula r = y, where y represents the distance from the axis of rotation to the function being revolved around the axis. In some cases, the radius may also be calculated using other geometric formulas, such as the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What is the difference between the radius and diameter of a solid of revolution?

The radius of a solid of revolution is the distance from the axis of rotation to the surface of the solid, while the diameter is the distance across the solid at its widest point. In many cases, the diameter is simply twice the radius.

4. How do you find the radius of a solid of revolution when the function is not a perfect circle?

When the function being revolved is not a perfect circle, the radius may vary at different points along the surface of the solid. In this case, the radius must be calculated for each point and then integrated over the entire surface to find the average radius.

5. What is the significance of the radius of a solid of revolution in real-world applications?

The radius of a solid of revolution is an important factor in many real-world applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used to calculate the volume and surface area of objects such as cylinders, cones, and spheres, and is crucial in determining the strength and stability of structures.