Radial vs Tangential acceleration

In summary: Since I don't know what your reasoning was that led you to af/ai = (32/2)1/2, I can't say if you worked it correctly.
MathewsMD
I ma having a little bit of trouble distinguishing radial and tangential acceleration.

For example:

The magnitude of the acceleration of a point on a spinning wheel is increased by a factor of 4 if:

A. the magnitudes of the angular velocity and the angular acceleration are each multiplied by a factor of 4
B. the magnitude of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 4 and the angular accel- eration is not changed
C. the magnitudes of the angular velocity and the angular acceleration are each multiplied by a factor of 2
D. the magnitude of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2 and the angular accel- eration is not changed
E. the magnitude of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2 and the magnitude of the angular acceleration is multiplied by a factor of 4
ans: E

But if ar = v2/r = ω2r so if angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2, this works. But, doesn't αt = ω? So a = α2t2r is also valid, right? Therefore, 2 is also the factor the angular acceleration should be multiplied.

I realize a = αr, but isn't this tangential acceleration and isn't the question assessing radial acceleration?
Any help in differentiating the two types of acceleration would great! Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
I realize a = αr, but isn't this tangential acceleration
Yes

and isn't the question assessing radial acceleration?

The question is asking about the magnitude of the total (or net) acceleration (with contribution from both the centripetal and tangential acceleration).

[EDIT]
But, doesn't αt = ω? So a = α2t2r is also valid, right? Therefore, 2 is also the factor the angular acceleration should be multiplied.
ω = αt assumes constant angular acceleration. This is not assumed in this problem.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Yes

The question is asking about the magnitude of the total (or net) acceleration (with contribution from both the centripetal and tangential acceleration).

[EDIT]
ω = αt assumes constant angular acceleration. This is not assumed in this problem.

Oh, thank you! So, then using components, the end result would af/ai = (32/2)1/2 and this gives a factor of 4. Exactly what I was looking for!

MathewsMD said:
Oh, thank you! So, then using components, the end result would af/ai = (32/2)1/2 and this gives a factor of 4. Exactly what I was looking for!

Since I don't know what your reasoning was that led you to af/ai = (32/2)1/2, I can't say if you worked it correctly. But maybe it's fine.

Radial acceleration is the component of acceleration that is directed towards or away from the center of rotation. It is perpendicular to the tangential direction and is caused by changes in the direction of motion. This type of acceleration is responsible for the change in speed of the rotating object.

Tangential acceleration, on the other hand, is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the tangential direction. It is caused by changes in the magnitude of the angular velocity and is responsible for the change in direction of the rotating object.

In the given scenario, if the magnitude of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2 and the magnitude of the angular acceleration is multiplied by a factor of 4, the resulting acceleration will have both radial and tangential components. This is because the change in angular velocity affects both the direction of motion (radial) and the magnitude of motion (tangential).

It is important to differentiate between the two types of acceleration in order to accurately analyze the motion of rotating objects. In this case, the correct answer is E because it takes into account both the changes in radial and tangential acceleration.

Related to Radial vs Tangential acceleration

What is the difference between radial and tangential acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration towards or away from the center of a circular motion, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of the circle at any given point.

How are radial and tangential acceleration related?

Radial and tangential acceleration are always perpendicular to each other, but they can both exist at the same time in circular motion.

What is the formula for calculating radial and tangential acceleration?

The formula for radial acceleration is ar = v2/r, where v is the tangential velocity and r is the radius of the circle. The formula for tangential acceleration is at = αr, where α is the angular acceleration and r is the radius of the circle.

How do radial and tangential acceleration affect an object in circular motion?

Radial acceleration causes the object to change its direction, while tangential acceleration causes the object to change its speed. Together, they determine the overall acceleration and motion of the object.

Can radial and tangential acceleration be negative?

Yes, both radial and tangential acceleration can be negative. A negative radial acceleration means the object is moving away from the center of the circle, while a negative tangential acceleration means the object is slowing down.