Radial vs Axial Turbine, diff in mechanical stress

This concept can be proved mathematically using Euler's equation, which takes into account the various velocities in both turbine designs.
Chuck 65
I am a hobbyist and I have designed a radial turbine device for use in a tidal stream. I have conducted a couple of experiments to demonstrate that there is less mechanical stress in the radial approach as compared to the axial approach but I would like to prove this concept mathematically (at a basic level). I have been able to find references to Eulers equation but (not being an engineer or physicist) am unable to figure out how to use the formula to show the difference. Can someone out there please explain the basic math principles that show why an axial turbine will have more mechanical stresses than a radial turbine?

W=(U2-U1) + (V2-V1) + (W2-W1) where U = Blade velocity, V = Absolute Velocity, W = Relative Velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
In an axial turbine, U2-U1 is zero, while V2-V1 and W2-W1 are not, which results in more mechanical stress on the turbine. In a radial turbine, U2-U1 is not zero, while V2-V1 and W2-W1 are zero, resulting in less mechanical stress on the turbine.

Related to Radial vs Axial Turbine, diff in mechanical stress

What is the difference between a radial and axial turbine?

A radial turbine has its blades arranged in a circular pattern around the central axis, while an axial turbine has its blades aligned parallel to the central axis. This affects the direction of the air or fluid flow and the resulting mechanical stress on the turbine.

Which type of turbine experiences more mechanical stress?

In general, an axial turbine experiences more mechanical stress due to the linear alignment of the blades. This can cause higher bending and tensile stresses compared to the circular arrangement of blades in a radial turbine.

What are the advantages of using a radial turbine?

A radial turbine has a more compact design, allowing for easy installation in smaller spaces. It also has a higher efficiency in converting the energy of the fluid or air flow into mechanical energy, making it a preferred choice for smaller-scale applications.

How does the mechanical stress impact the performance of a turbine?

The mechanical stress on a turbine can cause it to deform or fail, leading to reduced performance and potential breakdown. It is important to carefully consider the type of turbine and the expected stress levels in its design to ensure optimal performance and longevity.

Can a radial turbine be used in applications that typically require an axial turbine?

In some cases, a radial turbine can be used in place of an axial turbine. However, this may require modifications to the design and may not be as efficient in certain applications. It is important to consult with a professional engineer to determine the best type of turbine for a specific application.