Radial equation for atoms that are not hydrogen?

In summary, an electron in an Am atom undergoes alpha decay to a Neptunium atom, emitting x-rays. The electron has a certain energy depending on the nucleus and when the nucleus is changed from an Americum atom to a Neptunium atom, the electron's energy changes and the x-rays are emitted. My job is to calculate the frequency of the x-rays and compare it to the spectrum that I have detected. Without a computer program, this is an inaccurate calculation that would require a lot of precision.
pbeierle
So I've seen radial equations for Hydrogen out there (eg http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydrad.html), where can I find one for more any arbitrary atom?

admitedly, I realize that the equations become more and more complicated the larger the atom is. This is especially problematic considering that i need to calculate radii for electrons in Am-241, Np-237 etc, but unless there is an easier way to calculate the frequencies of these electrons, I don't have much of an option ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no analytical solutions for the SE for atoms other than hydrogen. What are you trying to solve?

I need to find the characteristic xray frequencies from the emitted electrons as they move from their original orbits in Am-241 to their lower energy orbits in Np-237. My thought was I can calculate the wavelengh of these electrons knowing their radial equations, and calculate the frequency difference from there to calculate the xray frequencies. Obviously If I know the orbital energies this problem will be even easier, but I could not find such expressions either.

Wait, wait, wait. What phenomenon is this? Electrons are going from an Americum atom to a Neptunium atom?

sorry, i guess I was not very clear. As Am-241 undergoes alpha decay to Np-237, x-rays are emitted and can be detected. These xrays are not gamma rays that come from the nucleus as one might initially think.

The electrons in the Am atom have a certain energy whose wavefunction depends on the nucleus (because the nucleus provides a potential). when the nucleus suddenly drops 2 protons, the potential of the wavefunctions of the electrons will also change one would expect for the electrons to drop down to lower energy states as a result, which is how the xrays are produced.

my job is to calculate the frequency of the xrays that are produced and compare this to the spectrum that I have detected (in order to calibrate the detector). again though, i don't know how to calculate the orbital energy or radial equation for electrons that are this low on the periodic table

I know quite a bit about spectroscopy, but not very much about nuclear physics. But I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this is not the kind of calculation that you can do accurately without a computer program.

Related to Radial equation for atoms that are not hydrogen?

1. What is the radial equation for atoms that are not hydrogen?

The radial equation for atoms that are not hydrogen is a mathematical expression that describes the probability of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus in an atom. It takes into account the effects of the nuclear charge and the distribution of electrons in the atom.

2. How is the radial equation for non-hydrogen atoms different from that of hydrogen?

The radial equation for non-hydrogen atoms is different from that of hydrogen because it takes into account the presence of more than one electron in the atom. This results in a more complex equation that includes terms for electron-electron repulsion and electron-nucleus attraction.

3. What is the significance of the radial equation for non-hydrogen atoms?

The radial equation for non-hydrogen atoms is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of electrons in atoms and predict their energy levels. This is crucial for understanding chemical bonding and the properties of different elements.

4. How is the radial equation used in atomic spectroscopy?

The radial equation is used in atomic spectroscopy to calculate the energy levels and transitions of electrons in atoms. By analyzing the spectral lines produced by these transitions, we can identify elements and determine their electronic configurations.

5. Are there any limitations to the radial equation for non-hydrogen atoms?

Yes, there are limitations to the radial equation for non-hydrogen atoms. It is based on the assumption that the electron density is spherically symmetric, which is not always the case in real atoms. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of relativity, which become important for heavier elements with high atomic numbers.