Radial component of a velocity vector - cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about determining the radial component of a velocity vector in a disk. The vector can be pointed in any direction and its magnitude and direction are given. The problem is working in cylindrical coordinates and the goal is to find the radial component of the body's velocity as measured in the frame of reference of the centre of the disk. The person seeking help is familiar with cylindrical coordinates but is unsure of where to start with this problem. They are willing to provide additional variables and a small velocity approximation would suffice for now.
Matty Mooo
Hi there,

I'm trying to determine the radial component of a velocity vector in a disk. The vector doesn't (necessarily) start from the centre of the disk and can be pointed in any direction. I've attached a .pdf with the schematics - it seems like a simple problem but it has me stumped.

The magnitude and a direction are given (see the attachment).

If someone could direct me in the right direction that would be awesome. I am familiar with cylindrical coordinates, but I just don't know where to start with this one..

Matty.

PS; This isn't homework!

Attachments

• RadV.pdf
    20.1 KB · Views: 334
Physics news on Phys.org
The "radial component" of a vector is the length of its projection onto the line y= x.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Although, I'm not sure you understand the problem.

Imagine looking down on top of a disk (with centre at R=0). Then imagine a body, somewhere on the disk (R [tex]\neq[/tex] 0). This body is then given a 'kick' with velocity v0 in a direction determined by the "known angle" in the above attached file. In the frame of the centre of the disk, the body will have a [tex]\phi[/tex] velocity component and an R velocity component. Is it possible to find vR, the radial component of the body's velocity, as measured in the frame of reference of the centre of the disk?

The above problem is working in cylindrical coordinates (R, [tex]\phi[/tex], h), where h, the thickness of the disk, is neglected.

Apologies if I'm not explaining myself properly!

Matty.

PS; There are some other variables I can provide. Also, even a small velocity approximation would suffice for now.

Last edited:

Related to Radial component of a velocity vector - cylindrical coordinates

What is the radial component of a velocity vector in cylindrical coordinates?

The radial component of a velocity vector in cylindrical coordinates is the component of the vector that points directly away from or towards the origin of the coordinate system. It is measured in the radial direction, which is perpendicular to the tangential direction.

How is the radial component of a velocity vector calculated in cylindrical coordinates?

The radial component of a velocity vector in cylindrical coordinates can be calculated by taking the dot product of the velocity vector with the unit vector in the radial direction. This can also be calculated using the formula Vr = Vcos(ϕ), where V is the magnitude of the velocity vector and ϕ is the angle between the velocity vector and the radial direction.

What is the relationship between the radial component of a velocity vector and the tangential component in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, the radial and tangential components of a velocity vector are perpendicular to each other. This means that the magnitude of the velocity vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the sum of the squares of the two components is equal to the square of the magnitude of the vector.

How does the radial component of a velocity vector change with respect to the angle in cylindrical coordinates?

The radial component of a velocity vector in cylindrical coordinates is dependent on the angle ϕ. As the angle increases, the radial component decreases and vice versa. This is because the radial direction is perpendicular to the tangential direction, so any change in angle will result in a change in the radial component.

What is the significance of the radial component of a velocity vector in cylindrical coordinates?

The radial component of a velocity vector is an important quantity in cylindrical coordinates as it represents the speed at which an object is moving directly away from or towards the origin. It also helps to define the magnitude and direction of the velocity vector in relation to the cylindrical coordinate system.