Radial and Circumferential Components in terms of t

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the radial and circumferential components of acceleration for a moving particle at time t, denoted by position vector R. The tangential component of acceleration is found to be the derivative of the magnitude of velocity with respect to time, and the remaining component is the circumferential component, which is the difference between the total acceleration and the radial component. The unit vector for motion in the radial direction is given by r/|r|.
Trapezoid

Homework Statement

Let [itex] \vec{R} = (t + \sin t) \hat{i} + (t + \cos t) \hat{j} [/itex] denotes at time t the position of a moving particle. Determine the radial and circumferential components of acceleration as a function of t.

Homework Equations

[tex] v_r = \dot{r} [/tex]
[tex] v_{\theta} = r\dot{\theta} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to write r in terms of t using [itex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} [/itex], but the derivative was complicated. I do not know how to write [itex]\theta[/itex] in terms of t. We were asked to determine the tangential and normal components of acceleration in the previous part of the question, but I do not see how they will avail me. Could anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Trapezoid

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Trapezoid! :smile:
Trapezoid said:
Determine the radial and circumferential components of acceleration as a function of t.

The tangential component (i assume that's what they mean by circumferential) is just d|v|/dt :wink:

(and you know the magnitude and direction of the total acceleration)

Hi tiny-tim,

It is my understanding that the tangential and circumferential components are different. When I say the circumferential component of acceleration, I refer to the acceleration in the direction of [itex]\theta[/itex], ie: the change in the rate of change of [itex]\theta[/itex]. I'm having trouble finding [itex]\theta[/itex] as a function of t..

Does that make sense? Have I misunderstood?

Thanks,
Trapezoid

Trapezoid said:
When I say the circumferential component of acceleration, I refer to the acceleration in the direction of [itex]\theta[/itex], ie: the change in the rate of change of [itex]\theta[/itex]. I'm having trouble finding [itex]\theta[/itex] as a function of t..

ah, not a terminology I've come across before :redface:

ok, then r is the position, r'' is the acceleration, r''.r/|r| is the radial component, and what's left is the circumferential component :smile:

Thanks tiny-tim,

Let me make sure that I understand correctly. Is [itex]\frac{r}{|r|}[/itex] the unit vector for motion in the radial direction?

yes, the unit vector in the radial direction is r/|r|

Related to Radial and Circumferential Components in terms of t

What are the radial and circumferential components in terms of t?

The radial and circumferential components in terms of t refer to the components of a vector or quantity that are aligned with the radial and circumferential directions, respectively, at a given point in time t.

What is the difference between radial and circumferential components?

The radial component is a vector that points directly away from the center of a circle or sphere, while the circumferential component is a vector that is tangent to the circle or sphere at a given point. In other words, the radial component is directed towards or away from the center, while the circumferential component is directed tangentially.

How are radial and circumferential components related to polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the radial component is represented by the distance from the origin to a point, while the circumferential component is represented by the angle between the radial vector and a fixed reference axis. This allows for a more intuitive understanding of the direction and magnitude of these components.

What are some examples of quantities that have radial and circumferential components?

Some examples include velocity, acceleration, and force. In the context of circular motion, the radial component of velocity and acceleration represents the speed towards or away from the center, while the circumferential component represents the tangential speed or change in direction.

How do you calculate the magnitude of radial and circumferential components?

The magnitude of the radial component can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, while the magnitude of the circumferential component can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine. These calculations depend on the given magnitude and direction of the vector or quantity in question.