Rack and pinion in an Ultra-High Vacuum

• Thread starter LaunyO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vacuum
In summary, the conversation involves a question about using a rack and pinion mechanism in a confined space of less than 10mm, specifically in an ultra-high vacuum (UHV) environment. The participants discuss materials that can be used, with concerns about out-gassing and magnetic properties. Some suggestions include brass, bronze, and zinc. There is also discussion about the vacuum level, with a range of 1 E-8 mbar to 1 E-7 mbar mentioned. Suggestions for resources and materials include NASA, cube-sat sites, and non-magnetic stainless steel such as 316L. Ultimately, the consensus is to avoid using stainless steel due to its potential for becoming magnetic during machining.
LaunyO
TL;DR Summary
Rack and pinion mechanism in UHV
Hi everybody, I have a question with no clear answer so far.

Does the rack and pinion mechanism work in UHV ?

I have to translate an object in very confined scace (less than 10 mm), all in UHV.

Any response is welcome :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
1) How are you going to get a rack and pinion into 10mm ? Might be possible (I'm not familiar w/ micro-machines) but seems unlikely.

2) I see no reason why it would not work in a less confined space. Presumably the drive mechanism would have a sealed lubrication system.

3) What does "translation" mean in this context?

Likes LaunyO
Presumably the pinion is in a region of rougher vacuum.

Waht is your concern? Cold-welding of the rack to the pinion? Materials choice should solve that, no?

Likes LaunyO
Thanks for your answer phinds.

1) Yes it is possible. I am working on a prototype with elements from 0.1 to 6 milimeters.

2) I was afraid that some air could be blocked between the rack and the pinion.

3)I have a rod and inside it I have another one that must be able to move perpendicularly to the axis (100nm to 500nm)

LaunyO said:
2) I was afraid that some air could be blocked between the rack and the pinion.
The rack and pinion is mechanical and does not require air to operate.

Out-gassing from a metal component may be a problem, depending on the material and foundry process. You have not identified the materials.

You do not mention contact forces, the number of cycles, or lubrication requirement. The steel ball bearings for the rotating anode X-ray tube motors were lubricated with lead dust because it did not evaporate.

• Informative
Likes LaunyO and berkeman
Thanks for your answers.

I read about out-gassing and looked at materials that can be used in UHV but my other constraint is that it must be non-magnetic. Even slightly magnetic is out of the question.

Baluncore said:
You do not mention contact forces, the number of cycles, or lubrication requirement. The steel ball bearings for the rotating anode X-ray tube motors were lubricated with lead dust because it did not evaporate.
I do not fully understand what you mean. (Btw I am French, so I get by in English but it is not my native language...)

Use Google translate ...
"Vous ne mentionnez pas les forces de contact, le nombre de cycles ou les exigences de lubrification.
Les roulements à billes en acier des moteurs à tube à rayons X à anode tournante ont été lubrifiés avec de la poussière de plomb car elle ne s'est pas évaporée."

Ask specific questions. Posez des questions spécifiques.

Baluncore said:
Use Google translate ...
"Vous ne mentionnez pas les forces de contact, le nombre de cycles ou les exigences de lubrification.
Les roulements à billes en acier des moteurs à tube à rayons X à anode tournante ont été lubrifiés avec de la poussière de plomb car elle ne s'est pas évaporée."

Ask specific questions. Posez des questions spécifiques.
Yeah thanks I know google translate... I still do not understand your last sentence, even translated in French.

Do any of you know with certainty a non-magnetic metal that can be use in UHV.

On some websites they say Brass or 304L Stainless steel are good and on others they say that they can be slightly magnetic...

Do NOT use stainless steel.
Use brass or bronze.

Likes LaunyO
Pure zinc from electrolytic refinery.
Zinc can be machined, or cast into a high temperature silicon rubber mold.

Likes LaunyO
How much vacuum are we talking about? 10-7 Pa? 10-9? Lower?

Likes LaunyO
Would NASA or cube-sat sites have advice on compatible non-galling, non-outgassing materials ?

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
Vanadium 50 said:
How much vacuum are we talking about? 10-7 Pa? 10-9? Lower?

1 E-8 mbar to 1 E-7 mbar

That's not crazy high (much softer than the LHC vacuum). I'm not an expert, but see no reason 316L stainless wouldn't work.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's not crazy high (much softer than the LHC vacuum). I'm not an expert, but see no reason 316L stainless wouldn't work.
Because 316L can be slightly magnetic.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not an expert, but see no reason 316L stainless wouldn't work.
When you machine non-magnetic stainless steel the surface and the swarf become magnetic. Then the magnetic state changes over time as the crystal structure evolves.

Baluncore said:
When you machine non-magnetic stainless steel the surface and the swarf become magnetic. Then the magnetic state changes over time as the crystal structure evolves.

That's why I am not going to use stainless steel at all. I will use brass or beryllium copper.

Related to Rack and pinion in an Ultra-High Vacuum

1. What is rack and pinion in an Ultra-High Vacuum?

Rack and pinion refers to a type of mechanical actuator commonly used in Ultra-High Vacuum (UHV) systems to control the movement of components. It consists of a gear (the pinion) and a toothed bar (the rack) that engage with each other to convert rotational motion into linear motion.

2. How does rack and pinion work in an Ultra-High Vacuum?

In an Ultra-High Vacuum, the rack and pinion actuator is typically driven by a motor or a manual hand crank. The motor rotates the pinion gear, which in turn moves the rack in a linear direction. This movement can be used to open and close valves, adjust the position of samples, or control other components in the UHV system.

3. What are the advantages of using rack and pinion in an Ultra-High Vacuum?

Rack and pinion actuators are preferred in UHV systems due to their high precision and repeatability. They also have a compact design, making them suitable for use in confined spaces. Additionally, they have a low outgassing rate, which is crucial in maintaining the high vacuum environment.

4. Are there any limitations to using rack and pinion in an Ultra-High Vacuum?

One limitation of rack and pinion in UHV systems is its susceptibility to contamination. The gear teeth can become clogged with debris, affecting the precision and smoothness of movement. To mitigate this, regular cleaning and maintenance are necessary. Additionally, the gear lubricant used must be compatible with UHV conditions to prevent contamination.

5. Are there any alternatives to using rack and pinion in an Ultra-High Vacuum?

Yes, there are other types of actuators that can be used in UHV systems, such as linear and rotary feedthroughs and piezoelectric actuators. However, rack and pinion remains a popular choice due to its reliability, precision, and cost-effectiveness.