(R/I)-Modules .... Dummit and Foote Example (5), Section 10.1 ....

In summary: M$.I wonder why some characters are printed in red.The backslash in $R\I$ is interpreted by TeX as introducing a command name. Since no command with the name \I has been defined, it gets printed in red as a warning that you have used an undefined command. You presumably meant to use a forward slash, which TeX would have happily printed as $R/I$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote's book: "Abstract Algebra" (Third Edition) ...

I am currently studying Chapter 10: Introduction to Module Theory ... ...

I need some help with an aspect of Example (5) of Section 10.1 Basic Definitions and Examples ... ... Example (5) reads as follows:

View attachment 7999
View attachment 8000

I do not fully understand this example and hence need someone to demonstrate (explicitly and completely) why it is necessary for \(\displaystyle am = 0\) for all \(\displaystyle a \in I\) and all \(\displaystyle m \in M\) for us to be able to make \(\displaystyle M\) into an \(\displaystyle (R/I)\)-module. ...
Help will be much appreciated ..

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
You can prove that $M$ is a (left) $R/I$ module by proving that the map $R/I \times M \longrightarrow M$ satisfies (1) and (2) of the definition on page 337, applied to $R/I$.
But, the most important thing you have to do is to prove that this map is well-defined, i.e., that the multiplication $(r+I)m=rm$ is well-defined.

steenis said:
You can prove that $M$ is a (left) $R/I$ module by proving that the map $R/I \times M \longrightarrow M$ satisfies (1) and (2) of the definition on page 337, applied to $R/I$.
But, the most important thing you have to do is to prove that this map is well-defined, i.e., that the multiplication $(r+I)m=rm$ is well-defined.
Thanks steenis ... appreciate your help ...

You write:

" ... ... But, the most important thing you have to do is to prove that this map is well-defined, i.e., that the multiplication $(r+I)m=rm$ is well-defined. ... ... "But how exactly do we prove that the map is well-defined ... ...?

Do we have to show that if \(\displaystyle (r_1 + I)m_1 = (r_2 + I)m_2\) then \(\displaystyle r_1 m_1 = r_2 m_2\) ...

... ... is that right ...Can you help ...

Peter***EDIT***

Another question that you may be able to help with ... I am puzzled about the definition and nature of the "multiplications involved in the equation

\(\displaystyle (r+I)m = rm\) ... ... ... ... ... (1)It seems to me that there are two multiplications involved and I am not sure how they are defined ... indeed suppose the two multiplications are \(\displaystyle \star\) and \(\displaystyle \circ\) ... ... then, (1) becomes \(\displaystyle (r+I) \star m = r \circ m\) But how are \(\displaystyle \star\) and \(\displaystyle \circ\) defined ... where do they come from ... what is their nature ,,,Can you help ... ...

Last edited:
Almost right.
You have to prove that if $r_1+I=r_2+I$ then $r_1m=r_2m$.
(Strictly, you have to prove that if $r_1+I=r_2+I$ and $m_1=m_2$ then $r_1m_1=r_2m_2$. But you can see that this is the same.)

steenis said:
Almost right.
You have to prove that if $r_1+I=r_2+I$ then $r_1m=r_2m$.
(Strictly, you have to prove that if $r_1+I=r_2+I$ and $m_1=m_2$ then $r_1m_1=r_2m_2$. But you can see that this is the same.)
Thanks Steenis ...

Another question that you may be able to help with ... I am puzzled about the definition and nature of the "multiplications involved in the equation

\(\displaystyle (r+I)m = rm\) ... ... ... ... ... (1)It seems to me that there are two multiplications involved and I am not sure how they are defined ... indeed suppose the two multiplications are \(\displaystyle \star\) and \(\displaystyle \circ\) ... ... then, (1) becomes \(\displaystyle (r+I) \star m = r \circ m\) But how are \(\displaystyle \star\) and \(\displaystyle \circ\) defined ... where do they come from ... what is their nature ,,,Can you help ... ...

Peter

Given is that $M$ is a (left) R-module, so it has a multiplication $\phi :R \times M \longrightarrow M$ denoted by $\phi (r,m) = rm$. This map defines the action of the ring $R$ on $M$. $rm$ is the notation of the mutiplication in $M$ as $R$-module. For $r \in R$ and $m \in M$ we know the values of $\phi (r,m)$ in $M$.

Now you want to change $M$ into a (left) $R/I$-module, so you have to define the action of the ring $R/I$ on $M$, by defining a new multiplication $\psi : R/I \times M \longrightarrow M$. You can notate the multiplication by $\psi (r+I,m)=(r+I) \star m$, for $r+I \in R/I$ and $m \in M$. But this is a notation and not a definition of the multiplication in $M$ as $R/I$-module. You still have to define $(r+I) \star m$ and you can do so by defining the value $(r+I) \star m$ in the $R/I$-module $M$ equal to the value $rm$ in the $R$-module $M$. (more difficult $\psi (r+I,m)= \phi (r,m)$).
In the above you have proven that the multiplication $\psi$ is well-defined and has valid vlaues in $M$.

(I wonder why some characters are printed in red.)

Last edited:
steenis said:
The backslash in $R\I$ is interpreted by TeX as introducing a command name. Since no command with the name \I has been defined, it gets printed in red as a warning that you have used an undefined command. You presumably meant to use a forward slash, which TeX would have happily printed as $R/I$.

Of course, thank you. I have changed it in my post above.

steenis said:
Given is that $M$ is a (left) R-module, so it has a multiplication $\phi :R \times M \longrightarrow M$ denoted by $\phi (r,m) = rm$. This map defines the action of the ring $R$ on $M$. $rm$ is the notation of the mutiplication in $M$ as $R$-module. For $r \in R$ and $m \in M$ we know the values of $\phi (r,m)$ in $M$.

Now you want to change $M$ into a (left) $R/I$-module, so you have to define the action of the ring $R/I$ on $M$, by defining a new multiplication $\psi : R/I \times M \longrightarrow M$. You can notate the multiplication by $\psi (r+I,m)=(r+I) \star m$, for $r+I \in R/I$ and $m \in M$. But this is a notation and not a definition of the multiplication in $M$ as $R/I$-module. You still have to define $(r+I) \star m$ and you can do so by defining the value $(r+I) \star m$ in the $R/I$-module $M$ equal to the value $rm$ in the $R$-module $M$. (more difficult $\psi (r+I,m)= \phi (r,m)$).
In the above you have proven that the multiplication $\psi$ is well-defined and has valid vlaues in $M$.

Hi steenis,

... your post was most helpful...

I very much appreciate all your assistance with all the above issues ...

Peter

Related to (R/I)-Modules .... Dummit and Foote Example (5), Section 10.1 ....

1. What is a module in abstract algebra?

A module is a generalization of the concept of vector space in linear algebra. It is an algebraic structure that consists of a set together with two binary operations, addition and scalar multiplication, satisfying certain axioms. Modules can be defined over different types of algebraic structures, such as rings, fields, or even other modules.

2. How is a (R/I)-module defined?

A (R/I)-module is a module that is defined over a ring R, with an ideal I as its submodule. This means that the elements of I are also elements of R, and the submodule inherits the binary operations from the ring R. The quotient ring R/I is then used to define the scalar multiplication in the (R/I)-module.

3. What is the significance of the (R/I)-module in abstract algebra?

The (R/I)-module is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra, as it allows for the study of the algebraic properties of modules over different types of rings. It also has important applications in other areas of mathematics, such as coding theory and algebraic geometry.

4. Can you give an example of a (R/I)-module?

One example of a (R/I)-module is the set of polynomials over a ring R, with the ideal generated by a monic polynomial f(x). In this case, the quotient ring R/I is the ring of coefficients of the polynomial f(x), and the scalar multiplication is defined as multiplying each coefficient by an element of R.

5. What is the significance of Section 10.1 in Dummit and Foote's Abstract Algebra textbook?

Section 10.1 in Dummit and Foote's textbook covers the basic definitions and properties of (R/I)-modules. It serves as a foundation for understanding more advanced topics in abstract algebra, such as homological algebra and representation theory. It also provides important examples and applications of (R/I)-modules in other areas of mathematics.