Quotient groups related problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving a finite group and a normal subgroup, where it is shown that if an element raised to the power of the subgroup's order is equal to the identity element, then that element must be a part of the subgroup. The conversation includes a sketch of the proof and some clarifications on notation and assumptions.
zcahana

Homework Statement

Let G be a finite group and N[tex]\triangleleft[/tex]G such that |N| = n, and gcd(n,[G:N]) = 1.
Proof that if x[tex]^{n} = e[/tex] then x[tex]\in[/tex]N.

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined |G| = m and and tried to find an integer which divides both n and m/n.
I went for some X which is not in N, for which X^n = e.
I defined o(X) = q and then q | n.
No luck showing that q | m/n.Any other ideas?Thanks ahead,
Zvi

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not true! Take some subgroup H of the Klein group K of order 2. It is normal as K is abelian. K/H also has order 2, and so gcd(H,[K:H]) = 2. But there is certainly an element of order 2 in K that is not in H.

Did you mean to write that the gcd is 1?

mrbohn1 said:
Did you mean to write that the gcd is 1?

Yes I did, sorry for the mistake...
*Corrected*

Here's a rough sketch:

Suppose x is not in N. Let M=<x>. If xn=e then M has order dividing n. |MN|=mn/|M[tex]\cap[/tex]N|, where m is the order of M. MN is a subgroup of G by the second (or third, depending on your numbering!) isomorphism theorem. So mn/|M[tex]\cap[/tex]N| divides |G|.

Now, |G| = tn, where t=[G:N] is coprime to n. So m/|M[tex]\cap[/tex]N| must divide t. But this is impossible, as m divides n, and t is coprime to n. So x is in N.

As a disclaimer, it's a while since I did any group theory! So you should check all this carefully.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

By stating that M[tex]\cap[/tex]N = <1> did you mean M[tex]\cap[/tex]N = e?
If so, it seems to me that it is not necessarily true.
If you meant something else, please elaborate.Zvi.

hmmm..yes, sorry about that. I've modified the argument above. Still no guarantee it is right!

Yes, when I say <1> I mean e...itis just to distinguish the identity element from the trivial group.

Sorry... I still see a problem with the conclusion that mn divides |G|...

That was just an error with my previous editing. Hopefully it is fixed now.

If you spot another problem, try filling in the details yourself...it's the only way to learn! I have done this very much off the cuff, and intended it to be a "suggested method" rather than a full solution to be copied down.

Thanks for you help!...

Related to Quotient groups related problem

1. What is a quotient group?

A quotient group is a mathematical group that is formed by dividing a larger group by a subgroup. It consists of all the possible cosets of the subgroup within the larger group.

2. How do you find the order of a quotient group?

The order of a quotient group is equal to the index of the subgroup within the larger group. This is calculated by dividing the order of the larger group by the order of the subgroup.

3. What is the significance of quotient groups in group theory?

Quotient groups are important in group theory because they allow us to study the structure of a larger group by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable pieces. They also help us to understand the relationship between different subgroups within a group.

4. Can you give an example of a quotient group problem?

One example of a quotient group problem is finding the quotient group of Z (the integers) divided by 2Z (the even integers). This would result in a quotient group of Z/2Z, which consists of two cosets: {0,1} and {2,3}.

5. How are quotient groups used in real-world applications?

Quotient groups have various applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. They can be used to classify and study symmetries in different systems, and to solve complex problems involving group structures and operations.