Quick sense check on deflection calculation

In summary, the conversation was about a user asking for a quick check on their uploaded images of a free body diagram and some calculations for a deflection calculation on a box section frame. They questioned if they should use two multiples of their second moment of area for the calculation, to which they were advised to ignore the value "Seis.x" as it was just a scaling factor. The user mentioned feeling overwhelmed from using MathCad all day, but later updated that they were able to solve the problem after getting a good night's sleep.
Mech King
Hi guys,

I just wanted a quick sense check. I have uploaded two images; one showing basic free body diagram, one showing some quick scoping calculations.

My question is, to do a simple deflection calc on the box section legs of the frame, do I just use two multiples of my second moment of area in the deflection calculation, as I have done on the second image? Since there are two ventricle legs? Ignore the value "Seis.x" in the calculation, this is just a seismic load scaling factor!

Simple problem I think, but my brain is fried from MathCad all day :/

Cheers

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1374246289.440818.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1374246317.552456.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, all sorted now. Good nights sleep was all that was needed :)

Sorry, all sorted now. Good nights sleep was all that was needed :)

Related to Quick sense check on deflection calculation

1. What is a quick sense check on deflection calculation?

A quick sense check on deflection calculation is a method used to estimate the approximate deflection of a structure or material under a given load. It is typically done by using simplified formulas and assumptions to quickly assess the feasibility of a design or to identify potential issues that require further analysis.

2. How is a quick sense check on deflection calculation performed?

A quick sense check on deflection calculation is performed by using basic engineering principles and equations to estimate the deflection of a structure or material. This may include using the equations for bending stress, shear stress, and material properties such as modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia. Some software programs also have built-in tools for performing quick deflection calculations.

3. What are the limitations of a quick sense check on deflection calculation?

A quick sense check on deflection calculation is limited by the simplified assumptions and formulas used. It is not as accurate as a full analysis and may not account for all factors that can affect deflection, such as non-uniform loading, material properties, and structural imperfections. Therefore, it should only be used as a preliminary assessment and further analysis may be necessary for a more accurate result.

4. When should a quick sense check on deflection calculation be used?

A quick sense check on deflection calculation should be used when a quick estimation of deflection is needed, such as during the initial design phase or when evaluating multiple design options. It can also be used to identify potential issues that require further analysis. However, for critical or complex structures, a more detailed analysis should be performed to ensure accuracy and safety.

5. How can the accuracy of a quick sense check on deflection calculation be improved?

To improve the accuracy of a quick sense check on deflection calculation, more accurate and detailed equations and assumptions can be used. This may require more time and resources, but it can provide a more precise estimate of deflection. Additionally, using software programs with advanced analysis capabilities can also improve accuracy by accounting for more factors that can affect deflection.