Quick question on disk defragmentation

• Thread starter Flat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary, if you are able to quit the defragmentation program through its control panel, it should finish before the library closes. Otherwise, the software will continue to run and the final percentage of fragmentation should be significantly reduced when you next check it.
Flat
I'm at the library, and while studying for my last final, I am running disk defragmenter on my laptop. It has been running for a little over 3 hours now and the library closes in 20 minutes. If it is not finished by the time the library closes, will I have to wait another 3+ hourswhen I get home, or will it pretty much pick up where it left off?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally they pick up where they left off... or else it takes very little time for the software to scan through the area that has already been successfully defragmented.

Why don't you just let your laptop run using its battery.

physics girl phd said:
Generally they pick up where they left off... or else it takes very little time for the software to scan through the area that has already been successfully defragmented.

Whew, thanks.

Cyrus said:
Why don't you just let your laptop run using its battery.

I was thinking about that, but I am not sure how I will carry it with my other things (mainly books).

Flat said:
I'm at the library, and while studying for my last final, I am running disk defragmenter on my laptop. It has been running for a little over 3 hours now and the library closes in 20 minutes. If it is not finished by the time the library closes, will I have to wait another 3+ hourswhen I get home, or will it pretty much pick up where it left off?

Thanks!

Not to worry. It's already done 3 hours of shuffling sectors around.

When next you check the % of fragmentation you should see it significantly reduced.

Just be sure that you quit through program control and not abruptly just pulling the plug. (And even at that, it should most likely still be ok. I merely suggest that more from superstition and lack of trust in Microsoft error paths.)

Related to Quick question on disk defragmentation

1. What is disk defragmentation?

Disk defragmentation is the process of reorganizing the data on your hard drive so that it can be accessed more efficiently. Over time, as files are added, deleted, and modified, small pieces of data become scattered across the hard drive, which can slow down your computer. Defragmentation rearranges these fragmented files so that they are stored in contiguous blocks, allowing for faster access.

2. How often should I defragment my hard drive?

It is recommended to defragment your hard drive at least once a month, or whenever you notice a significant decrease in performance. However, if you have a solid-state drive (SSD), defragmentation is not necessary as it does not work the same way as traditional hard drives.

3. Can I use my computer while it is defragmenting?

Yes, you can still use your computer while it is defragmenting, but it is not recommended. The process of defragmentation can use a significant amount of your computer's resources, which can slow down other tasks. It is best to schedule defragmentation for a time when you will not be actively using your computer.

4. How long does disk defragmentation take?

The time it takes to defragment your hard drive depends on the size and fragmentation level of your drive. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. It is best to let the process run overnight or during a time when you will not be using your computer.

5. Is disk defragmentation necessary for newer computers?

Yes, even newer computers can benefit from disk defragmentation. While modern operating systems and hard drives are better at managing data fragmentation, it can still occur and affect performance over time. It is still recommended to perform regular defragmentation to maintain the efficiency of your computer's storage system.