Quick Question of convergence/divergence of an endpoint of an interval

• Thread starter anniecvc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the interval of convergence for the series Ʃ (xn)/(3nn2), with an endpoint of 3. The speaker has tested the positive endpoint and found it to converge, but is unsure about the negative endpoint. They consider the alternating series test and conclude that the series should converge, but are unsure due to the alternating between larger and larger factors of 3 and -3. Further discussion about the simplified series -Ʃ (xn)/(3nn2) leads to the conclusion that the alternating series test does apply and therefore the series converges.
anniecvc

Homework Statement

I have found the interval of convergence for the series
Ʃ (xn)/(3nn2) to be -3>x>3 and have tested +3 to break down to p series 1/n2 which converges.

However I am unsure of the negative endpoint of 3.
If I plug it in, the series looks like Ʃ(-3)n/(3nn2).
By alternating series test, the series should converge, but that is when the alternation is between -1 and 1. Here I have -3, which will alternate between larger and larger factors of 3 and -3. The denominator is 3n which given alone with the numerator would diverge, even though the denominator is multiplied by n2, I feel it is not sufficiently large enough for the limit to go to 0 as n -> ∞, since an exponential function grows more quickly than a quadratic.

I want to say it diverges, but don't have solid proof. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anniecvc said:

Homework Statement

I have found the interval of convergence for the series
Ʃ (xn)/(3nn2) to be -3>x>3 and have tested +3 to break down to p series 1/n2 which converges.

However I am unsure of the negative endpoint of 3.
If I plug it in, the series looks like Ʃ(-3)n/(3nn2).
By alternating series test, the series should converge, but that is when the alternation is between -1 and 1. Here I have -3, which will alternate between larger and larger factors of 3 and -3. The denominator is 3n which given alone with the numerator would diverge, even though the denominator is multiplied by n2, I feel it is not sufficiently large enough for the limit to go to 0 as n -> ∞, since an exponential function grows more quickly than a quadratic.

I want to say it diverges, but don't have solid proof. Thoughts?

That simplifies to$$
\sum \frac {(-1)^n}{n^2}$$doesn't it? What does the alternating series test say about this?

(-3)^n/3^n=(-1)^n. I'm really not sure what you are worried about.

Related to Quick Question of convergence/divergence of an endpoint of an interval

1. What is the difference between convergence and divergence?

Convergence refers to the property of a sequence or series approaching a specific limit or value as the number of terms increases. Divergence, on the other hand, means that the sequence or series does not approach a limit and may either increase or decrease indefinitely.

2. How do you determine if an endpoint of an interval converges or diverges?

The convergence or divergence of an endpoint of an interval can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the sequence or series at that specific value. This can be done by computing the limit of the sequence or series and checking if it exists and is finite (convergence) or if it does not exist or is infinite (divergence).

3. Can an endpoint of an interval have both convergence and divergence?

No, an endpoint of an interval can only have one of the two properties - convergence or divergence. It cannot have both simultaneously.

4. What is the significance of determining the convergence or divergence of an endpoint of an interval?

Determining the convergence or divergence of an endpoint of an interval is important in understanding the behavior of a sequence or series at that specific value. This information can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in optimization problems and modeling physical phenomena.

5. What are some common methods used to determine the convergence or divergence of an endpoint of an interval?

Some common methods used to determine the convergence or divergence of an endpoint of an interval include the comparison test, the ratio test, and the root test. These tests involve comparing the given sequence or series to a known convergent or divergent sequence or series to determine its behavior.