Quick question about the range of a sine function

In summary, the range of sin(n^3-2n)/n for all n is in between -1/n and 1/n. This can be determined by considering the range of sin(n) and manipulating it for the given function. It is also important to find the limit as n approaches 0 and define the function at n=0 to ensure continuity. Additionally, the local maxima and minima can be found by taking the derivative of the function.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

I am doing a proof about limits, and I need to know the range that sin(n^3-2n)/n is within for all n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that sin(n) is in between -1 and 1 for all n, so sin(n)/n would be in between -1/n and 1/n for all n. However, I don't know how to manipulate the range if the inside of the sin(n) function is changed. Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this for n->infinity?
if so
sin(n^3-2n) is between -1 and 1
is what you need
then consider 1/n

yes this is for n as n approaches infinity. Would it be between -(n^2-2)/(n^3-2n) and (n^2-2)/(n^3-2n)?

nevermind i misread your comment, i see that it is in between -1/n and 1/n. Thanks for the help!

I would find the limit as n->0 and define the function at n=0 to make it continuous. Then find its local maxes and mins from its derivative.

Related to Quick question about the range of a sine function

1. What is the range of a sine function?

The range of a sine function is typically between -1 and 1. This means that all possible output values of a sine function will fall within this range.

2. How do you find the range of a sine function?

To find the range of a sine function, you can use the amplitude and vertical shift of the function. The amplitude represents the distance between the maximum and minimum values of the function, while the vertical shift represents the displacement from the x-axis. The range will then be the vertical shift plus or minus the amplitude.

3. Can the range of a sine function be negative?

Yes, the range of a sine function can be negative. This can occur if the vertical shift is a negative value or if the amplitude is a negative value.

4. What is the difference between the range and period of a sine function?

The range of a sine function refers to the set of all possible output values, while the period refers to the length of one complete cycle of the function. The period can affect the range of the function, as it determines how many times the function will repeat within a given interval.

5. How does the graph of a sine function change when the range is altered?

Changing the range of a sine function can affect the amplitude and vertical shift, which in turn can change the shape and position of the graph. A larger range will result in a more spread out graph, while a smaller range will result in a more condensed graph.