Quick question about identity elements

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether the equation (w-x)-(y-z) = (w-y)-(x-z) is an identity for real numbers. The concept of an identity element is brought up, but it is clarified that the equation being discussed is not related to the identity element. The equation is referred to as an identity because it holds true for all real values of x, y, z, and w.
Salamon
I saw this question in an abstract algebra text that I was reading.

"Is it true that (w − x) − (y − z) = (w − y) − (x − z) is an identity for real numbers?
Can you say why or why not?"

I know that an identity element does not change the value of a real number. So 0 is the identity element for addition and 1 is the identity element for multiplication.

But how can an equation be an identity element?

I mean I see that (w-x)-(y-z) = (w-y)-(x-z) is a true statement. But unless you know the values of w,x,y,and z, how can you see whether it will be an identity element for real numbers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You misunderstand the statement. It calls the equation an identity, meaning that it holds for all real values of x, y, z, and w. It has nothing to do with the identity element (0) as such.

thanks

Related to Quick question about identity elements

What are identity elements?

Identity elements are specific elements within a mathematical or scientific system that retain their identity when combined with other elements. They are often considered the foundation of a system and play a crucial role in defining the operations and relationships within that system.

What is the purpose of identity elements?

The purpose of identity elements is to provide a reference point or baseline within a system. They allow for consistent and predictable outcomes when performing operations or transformations on other elements within the system.

How are identity elements identified?

Identity elements are typically identified by their properties and characteristics within the system. For example, in mathematics, the identity element for addition is 0, as any number added to 0 remains unchanged. In chemistry, the identity element for a chemical element is its atomic number, which remains constant regardless of its chemical reactions.

Are identity elements unique to each system?

Yes, identity elements are specific to the system in which they are defined. While some systems may have similar or equivalent identity elements, they are not interchangeable and their properties may differ.

Are there any exceptions to the use of identity elements?

In some cases, identity elements may not exist within a system. This is often seen in more complex systems or those that have not yet been fully understood or defined. In these cases, alternative methods or approaches may be used to establish a reference point within the system.