Quick Integral (U-substitution and partial fractions) Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem set where the person is seeking help with various questions involving integration by parts and substitution. They provide a summary of their approach and doubts for each question. They also mention the importance of following the limit of two questions per thread on the forum.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I'd really appreciate it if I could get some quick help for this problem set I'm working on.

1391f1257f53a17199f9_1.jpg

1391f1257f53a17199f9_2.jpg
For question one, I just did a quick u substitution for x^4 and managed to get x^4 * sin(x^4)+cos(x^4) + C.
For part b, I used integration by parts and took ln(4t) as u and the rest as the dv value. I got (2/3)t^(3/2)*ln(4t) - (4/9)t^(3/2) +C

For question two, I'm really doubting my response, especially for part b. I ended up proving the solution by taking u=(cos(x))^(n-1), expanding the n-1 when doing ibp, carrying over the n*(integral) and then dividing the other side by n.

Also, for question two part b, I'm almost clueless as to what I (thought) I did. I broke down cosx^4 to (cosx)^3 * sinx and (cosx)^2 sinx ^2 respectively. Then I changed sinx^2 to (1-cos2x)/2 via the double angle identity. Then I repeatedly performed ibp to get (-1/2)((cosx)^3)(sinx) + (3/4)cosxsinx - (3/4)x + c. Is that even remotely close to the answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

I'd really appreciate it if I could get some quick help for this problem set I'm working on.

1391f1257f53a17199f9_3.jpg

For question one, I just did a quick u substitution for x^4 and managed to get x^4 * sin(x^4)+cos(x^4) + C.
For part b, I used integration by parts and took ln(4t) as u and the rest as the dv value. I got (2/3)t^(3/2)*ln(4t) - (4/9)t^(3/2) +C

For question two, I'm really doubting my response, especially for part b. I ended up proving the solution by taking u=(cos(x))^(n-1), expanding the n-1 when doing ibp, carrying over the n*(integral) and then dividing the other side by n.

Also, for question two part b, I'm almost clueless as to what I (thought) I did. I broke down cosx^4 to (cosx)^3 * sinx and (cosx)^2 sinx ^2 respectively. Then I changed sinx^2 to (1-cos2x)/2 via the double angle identity. Then I repeatedly performed ibp to get (-1/2)((cosx)^3)(sinx) + (3/4)cosxsinx - (3/4)x + c. Is that even remotely close to the answer?

Finally, for question 7a, I used
1/2 * 4/8 [1f(x) + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1.. etc]
and computed 1.732865 as the answer.

For part b, I used 1/4, 3/4.. (etc.).. up to 15/4 for the midpoints, added the f(x) values of those points together, and divided by four. Oddly enough, I only got 0.893713 this time.

Finally, for question 7c, I used
1/3 * 4/8 [1f(x) + 4 + 2+ 4+ 2 + 4.. etc]
and computed 1.719693 as the answer, which is close to the trapezoidal approximation, but the midpoint approximation is what's throwing me off.

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate the help guys.

Well I can tell straight away your first question has at least one mistake in it, since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left( x^4 \right) = 4x^3 \end{align*}$, you are definitely out by a factor of 4.

When you substitute $\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = x^4 \implies \mathrm{d}t = 4x^3\,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$ you should have

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ x^7 \cos{ \left( x^4 \right) } \,\mathrm{d}x} &= \frac{1}{4} \int{ x^4 \cos{ \left( x^4 \right) } \, 4x^3 \, \mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \frac{1}{4} \int{ t\cos{ \left( t \right) } \, \mathrm{d}t } \end{align*}$

and now try integration by parts with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = t \implies \mathrm{d}u = \mathrm{d}t \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{d}v = \cos{ (t) } \,\mathrm{d}t \implies v = \sin{(t)} \end{align*}$...Your answer to (b) is correct.

ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

I'd really appreciate it if I could get some quick help for this problem set I'm working on...

Again, please post no more than two questions per thread. If a question contains multiple parts, then only post that one question in a thread.

When you post a large number of question in one thread, then the thread can become convoluted and hard to follow. Our rule regarding the limit of the number of questions per thread is designed to make MHB more efficient for everyone involved, for those posting questions, for those giving help, and for those doing searches.

ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

1391f1257f53a17199f9_3.jpg

Finally, for question 7a, I used
1/2 * 4/8 [1f(x) + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1.. etc]
and computed 1.732865 as the answer.

For part b, I used 1/4, 3/4.. (etc.).. up to 15/4 for the midpoints, added the f(x) values of those points together, and divided by four. Oddly enough, I only got 0.893713 this time.

Finally, for question 7c, I used
1/3 * 4/8 [1f(x) + 4 + 2+ 4+ 2 + 4.. etc]
and computed 1.719693 as the answer, which is close to the trapezoidal approximation, but the midpoint approximation is what's throwing me off.

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate the help guys.

To do 2. a) which is to come up with the reduction formula $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \cos^n{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{1}{n}\cos^{n-1}{(x)} \sin{(x)} + \frac{n - 1}{n} \int{ \cos^{n-2}{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} \end{align*}$, we use integration by parts with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \cos^{n - 1}{(x)} \implies \mathrm{d}u = -\left( n - 1 \right) \sin{(x)} \cos^{n-2}{(x)} \,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{d}v = \cos{(x)} \,\mathrm{d}x \implies v = \sin{(x)} \end{align*}$, then

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} I &= \int{ \cos^n{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ I &= \sin{(x)}\cos^{n-1}{(x)} - \int{ - \left( n - 1 \right) \sin^2{(x)} \cos^{n-2}{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x } \\ I &= \sin{(x)}\cos^{n-1}{(x)} + \left( n - 1 \right) \int{ \sin^2{(x)}\cos^{n-2}{(x)} \,\mathrm{d}x} \\ I &= \sin{(x)}\cos^{n-1}{(x)} + \left( n - 1 \right) \int{ \left[ 1 - \cos^2{(x)} \right] \cos^{n - 2 }{(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x } \\ I &= \sin{(x)} \cos^{n - 1}{(x)} + \left( n - 1 \right) \int{ \cos^{n - 2}{(x)} - \cos^n{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ I &= \sin{(x)}\cos^{n-1}{(x)} + \left( n - 1 \right) \int{ \cos^{n-2}{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} - \left( n - 1 \right) \int{ \cos^n{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ I &= \sin{(x)} \cos^{n-1}{(x)} + \left( n - 1 \right) \int{ \cos^{n-2}{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} - \left( n - 1 \right) I \\ I + \left( n - 1 \right) I &= \sin{(x)}\cos^{n-1}{(x)} + \left( n - 1 \right) \int{ \cos^{n-2}{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ n\,I &= \sin{(x)}\cos^{n-1}{(x)} + \left( n - 1 \right) \int{ \cos^{n-2}{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ I &= \frac{1}{n}\sin{(x)}\cos^{n-1}{(x)} + \frac{n - 1}{n} \int{ \cos^{n-2}{(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x} \end{align*}$

For part (b) you're literally just replacing n with 4 here, then in the resulting integral using the same formula replacing n with 2...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \cos^4{(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x} &= \frac{1}{4} \sin{(x)} \cos^3{(x)} + \frac{3}{4} \int{ \cos^2{(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x} \\ &= \frac{1}{4}\sin{(x)}\cos^3{(x)} + \frac{3}{4} \left[ \frac{1}{2} \sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + \frac{1}{2} \int{ \cos^0{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} \right] \\ &= \frac{1}{4}\sin{(x)}\cos^3{(x)} + \frac{3}{8} \sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + \frac{3}{8}\int{ 1\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ &= \frac{1}{4}\sin{(x)}\cos^3{(x)} + \frac{3}{8}\sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + \frac{3}{8}x + C\end{align*}$

Hello, ardentmed!

Here is some help . . .

[tex](a)\;\;I \;=\;\int x^7\cos(x^4)\,dx[/tex]

By parts: $\:\begin{Bmatrix}u &=& x^4 && dv &=& x^3\cos(x^4)\,dx \\ du &=& 4x^3\,dx && v &=& \frac{1}{4}\sin(x^4) \end{Bmatrix}$

$\displaystyle I \;=\;\tfrac{1}{4}x^4\sin(x^4) - \int x^3\sin(x^4)\,dx $

$ I \;=\;\frac{1}{4}x^4\sin(x^4) + \frac{1}{4}\cos(x^4) + C$
[tex](b)\;\;I \;=\;\int \sqrt{t}\,\ln(4t)\,dt[/tex]

By parts: $\:\begin{Bmatrix}u &=& \ln(4x) && dv &=& x^{\frac{1}{2}}dx \\ du &=& \frac{dx}{x} && v &=& \frac{2}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}} \end{Bmatrix}$

$\displaystyle I \;=\;\tfrac{2}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}}\ln(4x) - \tfrac{2}{3}\int x^{\frac{1}{2}}\,dx $

$I \;=\;\frac{2}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}}\ln(4x) - \frac{4}{9}x^{\frac{3}{2}} + C$

$I \;=\;\frac{2}{9}x^{\frac{3}{2}}\big[3\ln(4x) - 2\big] + C$

MarkFL said:
Again, please post no more than two questions per thread. If a question contains multiple parts, then only post that one question in a thread.

When you post a large number of question in one thread, then the thread can become convoluted and hard to follow. Our rule regarding the limit of the number of questions per thread is designed to make MHB more efficient for everyone involved, for those posting questions, for those giving help, and for those doing searches.

Duly noted, I edited the post and posted question seven in a new thread. Sorry about that.

Related to Quick Integral (U-substitution and partial fractions) Questions

1. What is u-substitution in integration?

U-substitution, also known as the substitution rule, is a technique used in integration to simplify integrals by substituting a variable with a function. This allows for more complex integrals to be solved using simpler methods.

2. How do you determine which variable to substitute in u-substitution?

In u-substitution, the variable to be substituted is chosen based on the function inside the integral. The goal is to choose a variable that will make the integral simpler, so it is often helpful to look for patterns or familiar functions within the integral.

3. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. It is used in integration to convert complex rational functions into a sum of simpler integrals.

4. How do you determine the partial fraction decomposition of a rational function?

To determine the partial fraction decomposition of a rational function, the denominator must first be factored. Then, the coefficients of the decomposed fractions can be found using a system of equations by substituting in values for the variable in the original function.

5. What are the common mistakes made in solving quick integral questions using u-substitution and partial fractions?

Some common mistakes include choosing the wrong variable in u-substitution, not factoring the denominator before applying partial fraction decomposition, and making errors in solving the resulting integrals. It is important to carefully check the steps and calculations to avoid these mistakes.