Quick Calculus book uses Δ by itself, ex: (ln(x+Δ)-lnx)/Δ

In summary: Yes, all letters are available for use as names of sets, objects, and functions (a category which includes operators). However, they may be reused for different purposes depending on context.
lonely_nucleus
On the section on differentiation of logarithms and exponentials the book shows equations like this
(ln(x+Δ)-lnx)/Δ and it gives values for Δ, I do not understand why there is no variable following the Δ.

if you want to see the exact question I am trying to explain please look at page number 119 in this online version of the book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lonely_nucleus said:
On the section on differentiation of logarithms and exponentials the book shows equations like this
(ln(x+Δ)-lnx)/Δ and it gives values for Δ, I do not understand why there is no variable following the Δ.
I'm not able to view page 119 from the link below. As to the notation, I believe the author is using Δ as a shorthand notation for Δx. That's a bit sloppy IMO.
lonely_nucleus said:
if you want to see the exact question I am trying to explain please look at page number 119 in this online version of the book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes lonely_nucleus
Mark44 said:
I'm not able to view page 119 from the link below. As to the notation, I believe the author is using Δ as a shorthand notation for Δx. That's a bit sloppy IMO.
I really appreciate you clearing that up for me friend.

Well, the title of the book was Quick Calculus. It was apparently so quick that Δx became just Δ. Or there was a disagreement with the typesetter, who got back a little on his own.

there must be (x)

Likes lonely_nucleus
Emmanuel_Euler said:
there must be (x)
It would be better if the author used Δx, but if he explains somewhere that he is using a shortcut, then no harm done, IMO.

The author can use whatever symbol s/he wants? I've seen x +Δx, x + Δ, x+h. A book should usually be consistent in that it uses the same notation, but be used to several different notations for the same thing. Different notations usually have upsides depending on what is being discussed.

Likes pasmith
Mark44 said:
It would be better if the author used Δx, but if he explains somewhere that he is using a shortcut, then no harm done, IMO.
you are right

Mark44 said:
As to the notation, I believe the author is using Δ as a shorthand notation for Δx. That's a bit sloppy IMO.

[itex]\Delta[/itex] is a perfectly good variable name, although [itex]h[/itex] is more usual in that context.

pasmith said:
[itex]\Delta[/itex] is a perfectly good variable name, although [itex]h[/itex] is more usual in that context.
I do not like Δ being used as a variable name because it is an operator and it caused me confusion, I will have to deal with it but using Δ by itself is similar to using + by itself. Thank you for the reply, it gave me a good heads up..

lonely_nucleus said:
I do not like Δ being used as a variable name because it is an operator

Not inherently so, in the way that +, -, [itex]\times[/itex], [itex]\circ[/itex], [itex]\wedge[/itex] ... are operators.

All letters are available for use as names of sets, objects and functions (a category which includes operators), and may be reused for different purposes depending on context.

Related to Quick Calculus book uses Δ by itself, ex: (ln(x+Δ)-lnx)/Δ

1. What is the purpose of using Δ in calculus?

The symbol Δ (delta) is commonly used in calculus as a shorthand for "change in" or "difference between." It represents the infinitesimal change in a variable, and is used to express the concept of a limit and calculate derivatives and integrals.

2. Can you provide an example of how to use Δ in a calculus problem?

One example of using Δ in a calculus problem is in the calculation of the derivative of a function. For instance, in the expression (ln(x+Δ)-lnx)/Δ, Δ represents a small change in the variable x. This allows us to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the curve.

3. Why is Δ often used in conjunction with other symbols, such as ln or x?

In calculus, Δ is often used in conjunction with other symbols to represent changes in specific variables. For instance, ln(x+Δ) represents the natural logarithm of a value that is slightly greater than x. This allows for more precise calculations and a better understanding of the behavior of a function.

4. Is Δ only used in calculus or can it be applied to other areas of math?

While Δ is most commonly associated with calculus, it can also be used in other areas of math, such as geometry and algebra. In geometry, Δ is used to represent the area of a triangle, and in algebra, it can represent a change in a variable or the difference between two values.

5. Are there any other symbols or notations that are commonly used in calculus?

Yes, there are several other symbols and notations that are commonly used in calculus, such as d/dx for derivatives, ∫ for integrals, and lim for limits. These symbols and notations are essential for effectively communicating mathematical concepts and solving complex problems in calculus.