Questions regarding "Thermal History of the Early Universe"

In summary, the article discusses the different types of particles and their properties in the field of particle physics. The "g" value represents the number of different varieties of particles of each type, taking into account the particle and antiparticle, as well as polarization. The photon is special as it has a g value of 2, and its mass is believed to be extremely small according to current theories. The article was written in 2006, so the information on the photon mass may be outdated.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I do not have any education in particle physics, and I am trying to read the paper
http://www.helsinki.fi/~hkurkisu/cosmology/Cosmo6.pdf .
I would much appreciate some help regarding the specific questions below.

The following is from the first page of the article.
ThermalHistoryTable1.png

I gather that g is a count of the different varieties of particles of different types. There are some oddities in the table I can't figure out, and I hope someone will be able to explain them to me.
1. Under Quarks, g = 2⋅2⋅3. I get that one "2" is for the particle and its antiparticle, and the "3"is for 3 colors. What is the other "2"? Is it +1/2 and -1/2 spin values?
2. For each of τ, μ, and e, g = 2⋅2=4, making 12 altogether. One "2" corresponds to the particle and antiparticle. What is the other "2" Is it +1/2 and -1/2 spin values?
3. For Electroweak gauge bosons, g=3. Is this because there are 3 spin values: +1, 0, and -1?
4. Under Electroweak gauge bosons, there is a single line for γ, the photon. Why is g = 2 for the photon?
5. Also, what is the photon mass value in parentheses, "< 6×10-17 eV"?
Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
1. Under Quarks, g = 2⋅2⋅3. I get that one "2" is for the particle and its antiparticle, and the "3"is for 3 colors. What is the other "2"? Is it + and - spin values?
2. For each of τ, μ, and e, g = 2⋅2=4, making 12 altogether. One "2" corresponds to the particle and antiparticle. What is the other "2" Is it + and - spin values?
The thing you are missing in both your first questions is polarisation. Both particle and anti-particle come with two spin possibilities.

Buzz Bloom said:
3. Under Electroweak gauge bosons, there is a single line for γ, the photon. Why is g = 2 for the photon?
Same as for the quarks and leptons. It is the two polarisation directions.

Buzz Bloom said:
4. Also, what is the photon mass value in parentheses, "< 6×10-17 eV"?
Most likely because it is zero according to theory and that is the upper bound.

Hi Orodruin:

Thanks a lot for your prompt and useful answers.

I have been updating the post, and I think I added a question after your answer post. Please look at the revised questions #3.

Regards,
Buzz

It is from 2006, so the experimental upper limit on the photon mass is a bit outdated. See the current status. Most of those values are a bit model-dependent, but they are all extremely tiny.

Related to Questions regarding "Thermal History of the Early Universe"

What is the "thermal history" of the early universe?

The thermal history of the early universe refers to the changes and developments in its temperature and energy over time, from its initial state after the Big Bang to its current state. This includes the expansion and cooling of the universe, the formation of particles, and the creation of different elements.

How is the thermal history of the early universe studied?

Scientists study the thermal history of the early universe through various methods, including theoretical models, observations of cosmic microwave background radiation, and experiments at particle accelerators. These methods help us understand the fundamental physical processes that shaped the universe.

What is the significance of studying the thermal history of the early universe?

Studying the thermal history of the early universe allows us to understand the origins and evolution of the universe, as well as the fundamental laws of physics that govern it. It also helps us understand the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets, and the distribution of matter in the universe.

Are there any unanswered questions about the thermal history of the early universe?

Yes, there are still many unanswered questions about the thermal history of the early universe, such as the exact nature of dark matter and dark energy, the origins of inflation, and the possibility of multiple universes. These questions continue to motivate scientific research and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

How does the thermal history of the early universe relate to current scientific research?

The thermal history of the early universe is a vital area of research in modern cosmology and particle physics. It provides valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and helps us understand the evolution of the universe. Understanding the thermal history of the early universe also has practical applications, such as improving our understanding of the behavior of matter at extreme temperatures.