Questions on a modern theory of the differential from a gem of an old Calc text

In summary, the conversation was about a unique approach to variables and differentials in a multivariable calculus text from the 60s called "Modern Multidimensional Calculus" by M. E. Munroe. The text treats x and y as mappings rather than simply variables and distinguishes them from the type usually presented in elementary calculus. It claims that this approach is essential in the modern theory of the differential. The participants also discussed the definition of differentials and increments in traditional calculus and questioned if the same treatment is used in more advanced mathematics like Differential Geometry. The conversation ended with one participant offering to discuss the topics further.
MJC684
Questions on a "modern" theory of the differential from a gem of an old Calc text

I discovered a gem of an multivariable calculus text from the 60s called "Modern Multidimensional Calculus" by M. E. Munroe. First off is anyone familiar with this text by any chance? It presents variables and differentials in way that I have never seen before and was wondering if this how these concepts are defined in Differential Geometry perhaps.

The variables x and y are treated not simply as variables but as mappings. The mapping x and the mapping y map points in the plane to their abscissas and ordinates respectively. So x is x(p) and y is y(p). It then distinquishes these coordinate mappings from the type that is usually presented in elementary calculus that of f(x). A "function" in this text is a mapping that maps numbers into numbers as opposed to points, (physical/geometrical objects) to numbers. In this way f(x) is actually f[x(p)]. It claims that in the modern theory of the differential it is absolutely essential to recognize x and y as mappings themselves.

The text says things that I am not 100% sure that I'm understanding completely like " Should the equation y = F[x(p)] be taken by itself and regarded as an assertion that y and F[x(p)] are two symbols for the same mapping? Unfortunately the answer is no in analytic geometry and yes in calculus"

Why is that?

The way the differential of x and y is defined is just as interesting and new to me as well. It makes a lot more sense than all the double talk concerning differentials and increments in the usual calculus texts. I won't get into the definition it gives for the differential just yet unless someone who is qualified takes an interest in this posting.

My question is has anyone seen this type treatment of calculus before? Is this perhaps the way the x and y variables are treated in more advanced mathematics like Diff Geometry or just this authors own special treatment of the subject? worth studying despite the ill be covering the same material next semester in the traditional way?

If anyone is interested ill get into the differential definition. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

MJC684 said:
I discovered a gem of an multivariable calculus text from the 60s called "Modern Multidimensional Calculus" by M. E. Munroe. First off is anyone familiar with this text by any chance? It presents variables and differentials in way that I have never seen before and was wondering if this how these concepts are defined in Differential Geometry perhaps.

The variables x and y are treated not simply as variables but as mappings. The mapping x and the mapping y map points in the plane to their abscissas and ordinates respectively. So x is x(p) and y is y(p). It then distinquishes these coordinate mappings from the type that is usually presented in elementary calculus that of f(x). A "function" in this text is a mapping that maps numbers into numbers as opposed to points, (physical/geometrical objects) to numbers. In this way f(x) is actually f[x(p)]. It claims that in the modern theory of the differential it is absolutely essential to recognize x and y as mappings themselves.

The text says things that I am not 100% sure that I'm understanding completely like " Should the equation y = F[x(p)] be taken by itself and regarded as an assertion that y and F[x(p)] are two symbols for the same mapping? Unfortunately the answer is no in analytic geometry and yes in calculus"

Why is that?

The way the differential of x and y is defined is just as interesting and new to me as well. It makes a lot more sense than all the double talk concerning differentials and increments in the usual calculus texts. I won't get into the definition it gives for the differential just yet unless someone who is qualified takes an interest in this posting.

My question is has anyone seen this type treatment of calculus before? Is this perhaps the way the x and y variables are treated in more advanced mathematics like Diff Geometry or just this authors own special treatment of the subject? worth studying despite the ill be covering the same material next semester in the traditional way?

If anyone is interested ill get into the differential definition. Thanks in advance

I learned multidimensional calculus from this text (a preprint actually I believe) from Prof Munroe himself at UNH in 1962/63. I just started to reread the book (trying to keep my 70 year-old brain working as much as possible.) if you still are interested in this text i would be pleased to discuss topics with you.
Ron Gove
PhD Math, Brandeis University, 1972

Related to Questions on a modern theory of the differential from a gem of an old Calc text

What is "Questions on a modern theory of the differential from a gem of an old Calc text"?

"Questions on a modern theory of the differential from a gem of an old Calc text" is a collection of questions and answers that explore the concept of the differential in modern mathematics, based on an old calculus textbook. It aims to bridge the gap between traditional and modern approaches to understanding the differential, and to provide clarity on this important mathematical concept.

What is the differential in mathematics?

In mathematics, the differential is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function. It is often used to calculate slopes, tangents, and derivatives of functions, and is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics and engineering.

Why is understanding the differential important?

Understanding the differential is important because it is a key concept in calculus and many other areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to model and analyze real-world phenomena and make predictions, and is essential in solving differential equations, which are used in many fields to describe and understand complex systems.

What makes this text a "gem" of an old Calc text?

This text is considered a "gem" because it presents the concept of the differential in a unique and insightful way, combining traditional and modern approaches. It also offers a comprehensive collection of questions and answers that cover a wide range of topics related to the differential, making it a valuable resource for students and researchers alike.

Who can benefit from reading this text?

Anyone with an interest in understanding the concept of the differential in modern mathematics can benefit from reading this text. It is particularly useful for students and researchers in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields where the differential is a central concept. It can also be a helpful resource for educators looking to enhance their teaching of the differential.