Questions of Conjecture in Physics.

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help in finding a topic for a philosophy paper on a question of conjecture related to their major, physics. The student initially considers the topic of the Big Bang theory, but is struggling to find arguments against it. Another participant suggests focusing on the scientific process and the concept of forming rational expectations from evidence. The conversation ends with a question about the difference that expectations make in physical systems.
B-80
Hey, I am a junior in physics at penn state and am currently in a philosophy class. We have an assignment to argue a question of conjecture(my professor specified he wanted a problem of the "did/does anything actually happen") in our fields(majors). I am kind of struggling to find a good topic for this paper. The basic idea is to play out both sides of the argument and then pick a side(it's more about reasoning skills than actually solving the problem). I am having some trouble picking a good topic for this paper(3-4 pages double spaced).

I have taken some higher level EM and Mechanics classes, but I have yet to really delve into the thicket of the theoretical side(plus they don't teach you anything that is heavily under debate at the Undergrad level).
First I thought the big bang might be a nice topic for this because it's something we can't observe and is put together by third hand evidence/observation. But I am having a lot of trouble finding people arguing against the big bang(other than religious groups). So does anyone know of a nice topic that is accessible to myself with my meager physics knowledge? Something that I can really find a debate on with two equalish sides. Or at least point me towards a list problems with big bang theory...

Thanks in advance.
-Bobak

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd focus on the general structure of theories, and the scientific process.

B-80 said:
"did/does anything actually happen"
something we can't observe and is put together by third hand evidence/observation.

Is there such a thing as an ultimate first hand evidence? More plausibly I think everything is ultimately about judging evidence at various levels of confidence, and them form an expectation of what did or did not happen.

One may consider how this works. Ie. how does this process of forming a rational expectation from evidence look like?

And is is really possible to tell knowing wether something really happened, or is there simply not difference? Then the question is, what differnce does any expectation make?

If we look at what difference expectations of a human player is, we soon realize we know the answer. Now, what would that mean in terms of physical systems?

/Fredrik

Related to Questions of Conjecture in Physics.

1. What is the definition of "conjecture" in physics?

In physics, a conjecture is a statement or idea that is proposed as a possible explanation for a phenomenon, but has not yet been proven or tested.

2. How are questions of conjecture different from established theories in physics?

Questions of conjecture are different from established theories in physics because they are not yet supported by evidence or observations. They are simply ideas or hypotheses that need to be tested and proven.

3. What is the process for testing and proving a question of conjecture in physics?

The process for testing and proving a question of conjecture in physics involves conducting experiments and gathering data to support or refute the hypothesis. This data is then analyzed and reviewed by other scientists to determine if the conjecture is valid.

4. Can a question of conjecture in physics ever become an established theory?

Yes, a question of conjecture in physics can become an established theory if it is supported by strong evidence and has been tested and replicated by multiple scientists. This process can take years or even decades.

5. What is the importance of questions of conjecture in the field of physics?

Questions of conjecture in physics are important because they drive scientific progress and lead to new discoveries and understandings of the physical world. They allow scientists to explore new ideas and challenge existing theories, leading to a deeper understanding of the laws of nature.