Questions about Communication Protocols

In summary, a connector is the physical connection between two devices, and a cable is the physical transmission medium between two connectors. Different connectors and cables are required for different types of networks. For example, RS232 is used with serial ports and RS485 is used with power circuits, so you need to choose the right connector and cable for the network.
F.ono
I work as a project engineer of electrical equipment for substations.
More and more I have to deal with the communication of these equipment with PLC and other equipments. But I really don't know much about this area.
For example, we have Modbus, Profibus, IEC-61850... every now and then I have to verify if we have the components required to connect some equipment to some network.
So the following questions arise:
- What type of connector do I need? When do I use RS232, RS485, DB9, etc?
- What type of cable do I need? When do I use fiber optic, twisted pair or whatever?

I have searched and read parts of books about it, but they don't really get straight to the point.
I would really appreaciate if someone could give me an introduction about it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your answers depend on the bandwidth and environmental requirements, and more important on the historical accidents of convention. RS232 for example, has been implemented with dozens of connector and cable combinations.

An "accident" might be that a manufacturer chose to use DB9 connectors. You have to accommodate that even if he had no good reason for choosing DB9 over alternatives.

I'm afraid that my answer amounts to no answer of your question.

F.ono said:
I work as a project engineer of electrical equipment for substations.
More and more I have to deal with the communication of these equipment with PLC and other equipments. But I really don't know much about this area.
For example, we have Modbus, Profibus, IEC-61850... every now and then I have to verify if we have the components required to connect some equipment to some network.
So the following questions arise:
- What type of connector do I need? When do I use RS232, RS485, DB9, etc?
- What type of cable do I need? When do I use fiber optic, twisted pair or whatever?

I have searched and read parts of books about it, but they don't really get straight to the point.
I would really appreaciate if someone could give me an introduction about it.

I googled Modbus, Profibus, IEC-61850, and got some good hits on summary pages. I'd suggest reading through some of them, and following some of the reference links at the Wikipedia pages. That should start to give you a better understanding. If you have specific questions about that reading, please do post them here so we can help out. :-)

Related to Questions about Communication Protocols

What is a communication protocol?

A communication protocol is a set of rules and guidelines that govern how devices or systems communicate with each other. It determines the type and format of data that can be exchanged, as well as the sequence of steps required for successful communication.

Why are communication protocols important?

Communication protocols are important because they allow devices and systems from different manufacturers to communicate with each other. They also ensure that data is transmitted accurately and efficiently, reducing the chances of errors or data loss.

What are the different types of communication protocols?

There are several types of communication protocols, including wired and wireless protocols. Wired protocols use physical cables to transmit data, while wireless protocols use radio waves. Some common types of communication protocols include TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, and Bluetooth.

How do communication protocols differ from networking protocols?

While communication protocols govern the exchange of data between devices, networking protocols determine how devices are connected and how data is routed between them. In other words, communication protocols are responsible for the content of data, while networking protocols are responsible for the delivery of data.

What are the potential security concerns with communication protocols?

Some communication protocols may have vulnerabilities that can be exploited by hackers, making it important to regularly update and secure them. Additionally, if data is transmitted in an unencrypted format, it can be intercepted and accessed by unauthorized parties. Implementing strong security measures, such as encryption and authentication, can help mitigate these concerns.