Differences between tier-1, tier-2 and tier-3 ISPs-:

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
In summary: For example, if you are a web developer, you might offer your customers a host of related services such as web design, web development, search engine optimization (SEO), and so on.Tier 2 isps provide a variety of services, including web development, ecommerce, and search engine optimization (SEO).
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
explain distinguishing fature of tier-1, tier-2 and tier-3 ISPs
Relevant Equations
none
Question is to help me add more distinguishing features between these 3 types of isps.

So here are the basis of difference-:
1) Peering
2) Transit
3) Service
4) Customer type
5) Level of work
6) Speed and reliability

tier-1 isp-:
1) it peers with isps at same level.
2) it sells transit to tier-2 isps.
3) it owns internet backbone ie optical fiber cable, router and intermediate devices that make up internet backbone. it is the service that it provides.
4) it deals with ? type of customers(government, business, residential??whom...it seems it is business but please clarify if there is sth concrete in this).
5) they work in intercontinental level.
6) Faster speed and Higher reliability

tier-2 isp-:
1) it peers with isps at the same tier
2) it sells transit to tier-3 isps.
it purchases from tier-1 isp.
3) what service does it provide(more at bottom of the post)
4) it deals with business customers.
5) they work in national level.
6) they are slower than tier 1 and lesser reliable than tier 1 isps.

tier-3 isps-:
1) it doesn't peer
2) it purchases transit from tier-1 isp.
3) it provides services like connectivity and support.
4) it deals with home and office customers.
5)they work in local and regional(within country) level.
6) slower than tier 2, lesser reliable than tier 2services provided by tier-2 isp-:

lhxdylk3kwUlmeVSb-0-h4ZASNEXfesQfg9EGu0xt3tZf_sMCg.png

Why do tier 2 isps provide those services? I don’t really understand.

So tier 1 isp provide optical fiber connection services.
Tier 2 isp i am confused here.i know they sell internet to tier 3 isps. But what do they actually do? Like tier 1 does optical fiber cable in oceans and tier 3 brings all those cabling and setup box to our homes…Help me understand this.

Tier 3 isp provide connectivity and support to customers,

also what does tier 2 isps own? just like tier 3 isps own those cables that come towards our home, setup box, routers, modems...and tier 1 isps own the internet backbone..what do tier 2 isps own?

Source-:
https://books.google.com.np/books?id=l5OfXe8atikC&pg=PA206&dq=tier-1+tier-2+tier-3+ISP&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi-nZfThd73AhUT82EKHSsdCdYQ6AF6BAgHEAI#v=onepage&q=tier-1 tier-2 tier-3 ISP&f=false

edit-: if say someone like starlink starts selling internet. will it become tier 1 or tier 2 isp? i believe it should be tier 2 isp (more like a mixture of tier 2 and tier 3)...but i found satellite internet in "internet backbone network" topic...and as said earlier T1 isps owns the internet backbone network...can you clear this confusion? i know knowing what is tier 1 or tier 2 might seem not very important, but this is what this subject is mostly about.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
4) it deals with ? type of customers(government, business, residential??whom...it seems it is business but please clarify if there is sth concrete in this).
You have already written the answer to this question (although Tier 1 also sell to Tier 3).
shivajikobardan said:
2) it sells transit to tier-2 isps.

shivajikobardan said:
Why do tier 2 isps provide those services?
To make money?

shivajikobardan said:
Tier 2 isp i am confused here.
Yes you are. The only significant difference between Tier 2 and Tier 3 is that Tier 2 networks have peering arrangements (i.e. allow free passage for traffic) with other Tier 2 networks. Tier 3 networks have no peering arrangements so pay for all their traffic.

pbuk said:
You have already written the answer to this question (although Tier 1 also sell to Tier 3).
To make money?Yes you are. The only significant difference between Tier 2 and Tier 3 is that Tier 2 networks have peering arrangements (i.e. allow free passage for traffic) with other Tier 2 networks. Tier 3 networks have no peering arrangements so pay for all their traffic.
do u know what service tier 2 isps provide? those website development, ecommerce etc are confusing me..why would they provide it?

If you have a customer you are selling a product to you can earn more profit by selling them other products.

Last edited:
Likes shivajikobardan

1. What is the main difference between tier-1, tier-2, and tier-3 ISPs?

The main difference between tier-1, tier-2, and tier-3 ISPs is their level of connectivity and network infrastructure. Tier-1 ISPs have their own global network and exchange traffic with other tier-1 ISPs, while tier-2 and tier-3 ISPs rely on tier-1 ISPs for connectivity.

2. How do tier-1, tier-2, and tier-3 ISPs impact internet speeds?

Tier-1 ISPs have the fastest internet speeds because they have direct connections to the internet backbone. Tier-2 and tier-3 ISPs may have slower speeds because they rely on tier-1 ISPs for connectivity.

3. What types of customers do tier-1, tier-2, and tier-3 ISPs serve?

Tier-1 ISPs primarily serve large businesses and other ISPs, while tier-2 and tier-3 ISPs serve smaller businesses and individual consumers. Tier-2 and tier-3 ISPs may also serve as internet service providers for rural or remote areas.

4. How do pricing and service offerings differ between tier-1, tier-2, and tier-3 ISPs?

Tier-1 ISPs typically have higher prices and offer more advanced services such as dedicated internet access and cloud services. Tier-2 and tier-3 ISPs may have lower prices and offer more basic services such as broadband internet and phone service.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a tier-2 or tier-3 ISP?

One potential disadvantage of using a tier-2 or tier-3 ISP is that they may have slower speeds and less reliable connections compared to tier-1 ISPs. Additionally, they may have less advanced services and fewer resources for customer support. However, they may also be more affordable for smaller businesses and individual consumers.