Questioning the Possibility of Immortality: A Forum Discussion

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of immortality and whether or not it is possible to achieve through technology. The speaker believes that in order to truly achieve immortality, our existence would become no different from a computer program. They also question how the mind, which is controlled by the laws of the universe, can contemplate things beyond the universe itself. The conversation also touches on the idea of imagination and the potential for technology to evolve in the future.
alexsok
The other day I was browsing a forum dealing with immortality and I read people taking their idiotic ideas to absolutely mind-bending directions.

I quote:

"I do fully agree with you about creating our own universe and stuff (just don't think it's going to happen any time soon). But, there is a problem. You can't live forever when your body is still biological. You will one day have to replace your organs and your brain. But if you can do that, where will it end? Eventually, we'll end up as digital codes. We'll be no different from a computer program. Only then can you truly be immortal, but you won't be alive at all, right? If our lives end up into becoming mindless drones to an almighty supercomputer, then what's the freaking point? I'm sure you don't want to be somekind of firewall instead of a soldier I'm talking to everyone, I just use "you" a lot."

Can someone tell me, how come a mind embedded inside a universe, by all means absolutely controlled by it (physical laws, etc), surely going to vanish into oblivion upon death, can contemplate things that are beyond the universe itself, that are completely baseless, idiotic, self-centered and unjustified?

Is it because of language or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone likes to think about what they don't know an even better; what they can never become or experience. I don't specifically think the guy who wrote the comment is wasting his time. A few decades ago, wormholes and black holes were like this philososphy, yet today, they are generally accepted as scientific fact. In all, people philosophize all the time; it's like imagination. And everyone knows you can't stop a person's imagination :)

alexsok said:
The other day I was browsing a forum dealing with immortality and I read people taking their idiotic ideas to absolutely mind-bending directions.

I quote:

"I do fully agree with you about creating our own universe and stuff (just don't think it's going to happen any time soon). But, there is a problem. You can't live forever when your body is still biological. You will one day have to replace your organs and your brain. But if you can do that, where will it end? Eventually, we'll end up as digital codes. We'll be no different from a computer program. Only then can you truly be immortal, but you won't be alive at all, right? If our lives end up into becoming mindless drones to an almighty supercomputer, then what's the freaking point? I'm sure you don't want to be somekind of firewall instead of a soldier I'm talking to everyone, I just use "you" a lot."

Can someone tell me, how come a mind embedded inside a universe, by all means absolutely controlled by it (physical laws, etc), surely going to vanish into oblivion upon death, can contemplate things that are beyond the universe itself, that are completely baseless, idiotic, self-centered and unjustified?

Is it because of language or what?

I don't understand your question.

I don't get it. I don't know what the context of that quote was, so I have no idea what he's talking about, or how justified he is. What does "create our own universe" mean? Is that the only part you were referring to as "beyond the universe itself, completely baseless, idiotic, self-centered and unjustified?" Are you saying the entire concept of artificial intelligence is ridiculous to talk about?

Related to Questioning the Possibility of Immortality: A Forum Discussion

1. Is immortality scientifically possible?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of immortality. While there have been many advancements in medicine and technology that have increased human lifespan, there is no known way to achieve true immortality.

2. What are the potential benefits of immortality?

Some potential benefits of immortality could include being able to continue pursuing goals and relationships without the fear of death, experiencing new technological advancements and societal changes, and potentially being able to contribute to the world in a more meaningful way.

3. What are the potential drawbacks of immortality?

Some potential drawbacks of immortality could include boredom and a sense of purposelessness, witnessing the deaths of loved ones and potentially outliving all connections, and overpopulation and resource depletion.

4. Is there a difference between biological immortality and technological immortality?

Yes, there is a difference between biological immortality, which refers to the ability of an organism to cease aging and live indefinitely, and technological immortality, which refers to the ability to transfer one's consciousness or memories into a machine or artificial body.

5. What ethical considerations should be taken into account when discussing immortality?

Some ethical considerations that should be taken into account when discussing immortality include the potential for unequal access and distribution of immortality, the impact on society and the environment, and the potential for negative consequences such as loss of diversity and the perpetuation of social inequalities.