Question which the teacher cant help with

• Thread starter bob4000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, the value of sec^2x-tan^2x is 1. The angle A is such that secA + tanA = 2. By manipulating this equation, we can find that secA-tanA=1/2. Using this, we can find the exact value of cos A to be 1/2. It took the class half an hour to solve this problem, but by looking at it from a different perspective, it becomes much easier to solve.
bob4000
a)state the value of sec^2x-tan^2x
b) the angle A is such that secA + tanA = 2. show that secA-tanA=1/2, and hence find the exact value of cos A.

part a was a doddle so to speak, however, part b was on the contrary; it took our class half an hour, but to avail

if someone could shed light on this problem, i would be much obliged

thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all that difficult, surely.
[tex] sec A= \frac{1}{cos A}[/tex] and [tex]tan A\frac{sin A}{cos A}[/tex]
so [tex]sec A+ tan A= \frac{1+ sin A}{cos A}= 2[/tex]
Looks to me like an obvious thing to try is to multiply numerator and denominator of that equation by 1- sin A:
[tex]\frac{(1+ sin A)(1- sin A)}{(cos A)(1- sin A)}= 2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1- sin^2 A}{(cos A)(1- sin A)}= \frac{cos^2 A}{(cos A)(1- sin A)}= \frac{cos A}{1- sin A}= 2[/tex]
Then
[tex] \frac{1- sin A}{cos A}= \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{cos A}- \frac{sin A}{cos A}= sec A- tan A= \frac{1}{2}[/tex].
Add the two equations to eliminate tan A and then invert.

thanks. i think we were all just looking at it form the wron perspective. much obliged

Related to Question which the teacher cant help with

1. What is a "Question which the teacher can't help with"?

A "Question which the teacher can't help with" is a question that goes beyond the scope of the classroom material or the teacher's expertise. It may require a deeper understanding of the subject or specialized knowledge that the teacher does not possess.

2. Why do we encounter "Questions which the teacher can't help with"?

As students, we are constantly learning and expanding our knowledge. It is natural to come across questions that challenge our understanding and require further exploration.

3. How can I find the answer to a "Question which the teacher can't help with"?

There are several ways to find the answer to a "Question which the teacher can't help with." You can do independent research, consult with experts in the field, or attend workshops or seminars related to the topic.

4. Is it okay to ask "Questions which the teacher can't help with" in class?

Yes, it is perfectly fine to ask questions that go beyond the classroom material. In fact, it shows curiosity and a desire to learn more. However, if the teacher is not able to answer your question, it may be best to research it on your own or seek out additional resources.

5. How can I avoid asking "Questions which the teacher can't help with"?

To avoid asking questions that the teacher cannot help with, it is essential to pay attention in class and actively participate. This will help you better understand the material and potentially prevent confusion or gaps in knowledge. Additionally, it can be helpful to do some preliminary research before asking a question to ensure it has not already been covered in class or can be easily answered by the teacher.