Question using trig substitutions

• Thread starter hahaha158
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the problem was to evaluate the definite integral ∫(85/√(32-20x-25x^2)) dx. The attempt at a solution involved using the completing the square method to simplify the integral to 17∫1/√(36-u^2) du, where u=5x+2 and du=5dx. However, the substitution u=6sinv and du=6cosvdv was not done correctly, leading to an incorrect final answer of (17/36)(tan(arcsin((5x-2)/6))). The correct answer is 17arcsin((5x+2)/6).
hahaha158

Homework Statement

Evaluate the definite integral

∫85/√(32-20x-25x^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off this question using the completing the square method, and was able to simplify my integral to the point 17∫1/√(36-u^2) du where u is 5x+2 and du is 5dx. I am fairly certain i am correct up to this point as i have verified this on wolfram alpha. I next subbed in u=6sinv and du=6cosvdv.

doing this gives me

(17/36)∫1/(cosv√cos^2(v)) which is just equal to 17/36 ∫ cos^-2(v) which can be written as 17/36 ∫ sec^2(v) and finally gives a result of 17/36 (tanv)

Knowing that v = arcsin((5x-2)/6) the final answer i got was

(17/36)(tan(arcsin((5x-2)/6))) which is incorrect.

I checked with wolfram alpha and through a different method they got 17arcsin((5x+2)/6)

So basically i have an extra tanv/36 from somewhere, but i can't see where i am making a mistake. can anyone please explain what i may be missing?

thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
hahaha158 said:
(17/36)∫1/(cosv√cos^2(v))
Not 36, it was inside a sqrt. And how did that extra cos v get below the line?

haruspex said:
Not 36, it was inside a sqrt. And how did that extra cos v get below the line?

i replaced du with 6cosv dv so i took the 6 out of the integral and left the extra cosv at the bottom. Why can i not do that?

##\displaystyle 17 \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{36 - u^2}} \ du##

Subbing u = 6sinv, du = 6cos v dv, we have

##\displaystyle 17 \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{36 - 36sin^2v}} 6cosv \ dv = 17 \int \frac{6cosv}{\sqrt{36} \sqrt{1 - sin^2v}} \ dv = 17 \int \frac{cosv}{cosv} \ dv ##

By the way, you would call this an indefinite integral.

Karnage1993 said:
##\displaystyle 17 \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{36 - u^2}} \ du##

Subbing u = 6sinv, du = 6cos v dv, we have

##\displaystyle 17 \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{36 - 36sin^2v}} 6cosv \ dv = 17 \int \frac{6cosv}{\sqrt{36} \sqrt{1 - sin^2v}} \ dv = 17 \int \frac{cosv}{cosv}} \ dv ##

By the way, you wouldn't call this an INdefinite integral.

sorry the integral you posted didn't show up correctly, do you mind fixing it please? also why is this not an indefinite integral?

edit: nvm it showed up now, i see what i did wrong, for some reason i tried to replace du with dv/6cosv.

Thanks a lot everybody for the help

Sorry about that. I should really test these on TexMaker before I post them. :)

Comment #1: It's rather hard to read through your post with the spacing (or lack thereof) you use, especially since you don't use LaTeX for your integral expressions.

Comment #2: If I were grading your calculus assignments, you would be losing points right & left for not including the differential . (I'm pretty sure some other Homework Helpers would agree with me, particularly Mark44 .) This omission apparently is what leads to your error below.

hahaha158 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the definite integral

∫(85/√(32-20x-25x^2)) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off this question using the completing the square method, and was able to simplify my integral to the point 17∫1/√(36-u^2) du where u is 5x+2 and du is 5dx. I am fairly certain i am correct up to this point as i have verified this on wolfram alpha. I next subbed in u=6sinv and du=6cosvdv.

doing this gives me
The du should be in your numerator. In the following integral, you put it in the denominator -- well, you put the 6cos(v) in the denominator.

(17/36)∫1/(cosv√cos^2(v)) du which is just equal to 17/36 ∫ cos^-2(v)dv which can be written as 17/36 ∫ sec^2(v)dv and finally gives a result of 17/36 (tanv)

Knowing that v = arcsin((5x-2)/6) the final answer i got was

(17/36)(tan(arcsin((5x-2)/6))) which is incorrect.

I checked with wolfram alpha and through a different method they got 17arcsin((5x+2)/6)

So basically i have an extra tanv/36 from somewhere, but i can't see where i am making a mistake. can anyone please explain what i may be missing?

thanks alot

Related to Question using trig substitutions

1. What is a trig substitution?

A trig substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a trigonometric expression in order to make the integral easier to solve.

2. When should I use a trig substitution?

Trig substitutions are typically used when the integral contains a square root of a quadratic expression or an expression involving the square root of a sum or difference of squares. They can also be used to simplify integrals involving trigonometric identities.

3. How do I choose the appropriate trig substitution?

The trig substitution to use depends on the form of the integral. For a square root of a quadratic expression, use a substitution of the form x = a sinθ or x = a tanθ, where a is a constant. For a square root of a sum or difference of squares, use a substitution of the form x = a secθ or x = a cscθ. It may take some trial and error to determine the correct substitution.

4. Can trig substitutions be used for definite integrals?

Yes, trig substitutions can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. When using a trig substitution for a definite integral, make sure to adjust the limits of integration accordingly.

5. Are there any other methods to solve integrals besides trig substitutions?

Yes, there are other methods to solve integrals such as integration by parts, substitution, and partial fractions. The choice of method depends on the form of the integral and personal preference.