(Question) Trigonometric substitution triangles

In summary, when doing trigonometric substitutions, we may encounter situations where our answer includes terms like "cosp" that require us to use the SOH-CAH-TOA triangle to find a new expression in terms of x. This can result in a loss of information about the original domain, but this can be avoided by using trig identities and drawing diagrams to better understand the computations being done.
[Prefix]
When we do trigonometric substitutions (such as for the integral x^3/(a^2-x^2)^2), we say something like "let x = asinp for -pi/2 <= p <= pi/2" then we carry on and solve the integral.

However, sometimes our answer is ugly and we get some term in our expression like "cosp"- so we draw a little right angle triangle (SOH CAH TOA) to find out that "cosp = sqrt(a^2-x^2)/a <==> p = arccos(sqrt(a^2-x^2))" We then substitute this into cosp to get cos(arccos(Q(x))) = Q(X). Now our answer is nice and it is expressed in terms of x again.

[My Question]
Do we have to place a domain restriction on our answer when we do this? Because to me it is pretty clear that the SOH-CAH-TOA triangle only gives us valid results for x>0 and p>0

What I mean is that sinp = x/a and cosp = sqrt(a^2-x^2)/a is only true for p>=0

But beforehand we already defined our domain to be -pi/2 <= p <= pi/2 (when we did our sine substitution). However, we got "cosp" in our answer, so we have to express it in terms of x using arccos (but as stated above, this is only true for p>0)

So is it true that if we use "cosp = sqrt(a^2-x^2)" anywhere we now have to make our new domain p <= pi/2 ?

In all of the trig substitution questions I've done in calculus related courses, they've never asked for the domain, it was more of a mindless drone thing to do- and I'm really curious about this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do need to pay attention to the triangke you draw and how you have defined the angles.
Some diagrams should hrlp you see what is going on better.

Likes x86
Simon Bridge said:
You do need to pay attention to the triangke you draw and how you have defined the angles.
Some diagrams should hrlp you see what is going on better.

Right, but one thing kind of bugs me.

Say we have x = sinp, defined on p in [-pi/2, pi/2]

we then have p = arcsinx and p = arccos (sqrt(a^2-x^2) )

So there is a weird loss of information here, because whatever we put into arccos it will always output something in [0, pi/2].

So we essentially "lost" all of the information about [-pi/2, 0] when we define p = arccos (sqrt(a^2-x^2) )

This is kind of weird, and it is bugging me. Doesnt this loss of information somehow affect our intregral when we do any kind of cosine substitution?

You can avoid these "domain restrictions" by using the trig identities related to the "right triangle" computations you are doing.

Like I ssid, draw a diagram of what yoh are doing to see if you actually lose the information you suspect, and how to go about recovering it if you have.

Related to (Question) Trigonometric substitution triangles

1. What is a trigonometric substitution triangle?

A trigonometric substitution triangle is a right triangle that is used to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. It is constructed by replacing one of the variables in the integral with a trigonometric function and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the remaining side lengths.

2. How do you know which trigonometric function to use in a substitution triangle?

The trigonometric function used in a substitution triangle is determined by the variable that is being replaced in the integral. For example, if the integral contains a square root of (1-x^2), the variable x will be replaced by sinθ and the substitution triangle will use sine as the trigonometric function.

3. What is the purpose of using a trigonometric substitution triangle?

The purpose of a trigonometric substitution triangle is to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. By replacing the variable with a trigonometric function, the integral can be rewritten in terms of simpler trigonometric expressions that can be easily integrated.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for constructing a trigonometric substitution triangle?

Yes, there are some guidelines to follow when constructing a trigonometric substitution triangle. The triangle should always be a right triangle, with one side representing the variable being substituted and the other two sides representing trigonometric functions. The trigonometric function used should be chosen based on the original integral, and the Pythagorean theorem can be used to determine the remaining side lengths.

5. Can a trigonometric substitution triangle be used for all integrals involving trigonometric functions?

No, not all integrals involving trigonometric functions can be solved using a trigonometric substitution triangle. Some integrals may require other techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions. It is important to carefully analyze the integral before deciding to use a trigonometric substitution triangle.