[Question] Tell me the latest catching news about black holes

In summary, the LIGO "Chirp" was a pretty exciting event that involved capturing data from two black holes that were very far apart.
BlackholeGirl
Hello,

Thank you for opening this thread.

I am strongly interested in the universe, especially black hole.
Though I am only eighteen years old, the more I read books about a black hole, the more my interest is getting powerful.

Therefore, I want to know the latest and exciting news about black holes.
If you have, please feel free to post it.

Thanks.

Likes Fia Ismi Nur Alfiah
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi, BlackholeGirl, I would suggest you search for e.g. "black hole news" on this forum (search button is on the upper right side on the forum page), and you could also search for "black hole" on e.g. the news site phys.org. (a search example is here).

EDIT: And here is a thread with more links to science/physics news sites:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ions-on-physics-nothing-too-technical.918501/

EDIT 2: Bonus: and here is a post which may interest you, even though it's not fresh news:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/our-beautiful-universe.800540/#post-5027918

Thank you, Mr./Ms. DennisN
They are very helpful:)

BlackholeGirl said:
I want to know the latest and exciting news about black holes.
The LIGO "Chirp" was pretty exciting news... What can you tell us about it? :smile:

JLowe said:
Pictures from the Event Horizon Telescope should be releasing soon, I consider that pretty exciting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_Horizon_Telescope

Someone else may have more details.
That sounds like an interesting project. it's new to me.
I don't get the bit about physically transporting data between the sites using disks or whatever flown on aircraft.
Cannot see how this could be useful instead of normal data transmission.

I didn't understand it either, but I believe it is a LOT of data, and some of it at the South Pole, where they needed to wait for favorable weather conditions to transport it.

Perhaps it's too much data to send wirelessly, or perhaps some of the sites don't have good wireless connections. I have no idea why they went that route.

Related to [Question] Tell me the latest catching news about black holes

1. What is the latest discovery about black holes?

The latest discovery about black holes is that scientists have been able to capture the first-ever image of a black hole located in the center of the Messier 87 galaxy. This image was captured by the Event Horizon Telescope and provides evidence for the existence of black holes and the theory of general relativity.

2. How big are black holes?

Black holes can vary in size, but the smallest known black holes can have a mass that is equivalent to just a few times that of the sun. On the other hand, supermassive black holes, like the one at the center of the Milky Way galaxy, can have a mass equivalent to billions of suns.

3. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once something crosses the event horizon (the point of no return) of a black hole, it cannot escape. This includes light, which is why black holes appear to be "black". However, some theoretical models suggest that tiny particles, called Hawking radiation, can escape a black hole.

4. Are black holes dangerous to Earth?

It is highly unlikely that a black hole would pose any danger to Earth. The closest known black hole to Earth is about 1,600 light-years away, which is still extremely far. Additionally, black holes only have a significant impact on objects that come very close to them.

5. How do black holes form?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under the force of gravity. This collapse creates an incredibly dense object with a strong gravitational pull, known as a black hole. Other black holes can form through mergers of smaller black holes or through the collapse of dense clouds of gas and dust.