Question: Series Convergence for ((-1)^n*n!)/(1*6*11*...*(5n+1))

In summary, the question is whether the series ((-1)^n * n!)/(1*6*11*...*(5n+1)) from n = 0 to infinity absolutely converges, converges conditionally, or diverges. The student tried using the ratio test but found it to diverge, and is unsure how to incorporate the 1*6*11*... part. The series is written in a different form using the product symbol and the student suggests using the alternating series test.
harrietstowe

Homework Statement

Does the series ((-1)^n*n!)/(1*6*11*...*(5n+1)) from n = 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex]
absolutely converge, converge conditionally or diverge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the ratio test for ((-1)^n *n!)/(5n+1)) and I found that it diverges but apparently that is not the correct series to use. I do not understand how to implement the 1*6*11*... part.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an odd series. This is the best way I've been able to write it...

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\left(-1\right)^n n!}{\prod_{k=0}^{n} 5k+1}[/tex]

I don't know if this helps, but hopefully it does.

EDIT: Seems like an alternating series test would help.

Char. Limit said:
That's an odd series. This is the best way I've been able to write it...

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\left(-1\right)^n n!}{\prod_{k=0}^{n} 5k+1}[/tex]

I don't know if this helps, but hopefully it does.

EDIT: Seems like an alternating series test would help.

What do the columns in the denominator mean? I don't think I have seen that symbol before

[itex]\prod[/itex] is the product symbol: [itex]\prod_{k=0}^n a_k = a_0 a_1 ... a_n[/itex]

So [itex]n! = \prod_{k=1}^n k[/itex].

Related to Question: Series Convergence for ((-1)^n*n!)/(1*6*11*...*(5n+1))

1. What is a series convergence question?

A series convergence question refers to a mathematical problem that asks if a given series, which is a sum of an infinite number of terms, converges (approaches a specific limit) or diverges (does not have a limit).

2. How can you determine if a series converges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence of a series, including the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series and can help determine if the series converges or diverges.

3. What is the importance of studying series convergence?

Series convergence is an important concept in mathematics and science because it allows us to determine if a mathematical model or series of data is accurate and reliable. It also helps us understand the behavior of infinite sums and their limits.

4. How does the divergence of a series affect its sum?

If a series diverges, it means that the sum of its terms does not have a limit. This means that the sum of the series will either approach infinity or oscillate between different values. In other words, the series does not have a specific sum and cannot be evaluated.

5. Are there real-world applications of series convergence?

Yes, series convergence has various real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and engineering. In finance, series convergence is used to analyze the behavior of stock prices over time. In physics, it is used to understand the behavior of infinite sums in mathematical models. In engineering, it is used to evaluate the stability and reliability of structures and systems.