Question regarding why an example In kolenkow mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a problem understanding an example in Kolenkow's "An Introduction to Mechanics" on page 71/section 2.9 in the red cover edition. The example involves finding the acceleration of the end of a rope and how it relates to the acceleration of a block. The person asking the question is confused about the length of the string around a pulley, which is represented by the circumference of a circle in the example. They wonder if the length should be multiplied by a constant of 2 since the string does not fully wrap around the pulley. The conversation ends with the person realizing their intuition was correct and asking for the moderators to close the thread.
MidgetDwarf
I am having a problem understanding an example in kolenkow: an introduction to mechanics. The question I have is on page 71/section 2.9 in the red cover edition. The example is telling me to find the acceleration of the end of the rope and how it is related to the acceleration of the block. I know I have to find the sum of the length of the strings and differentiate this quantity 2 times to get the acceleration.

How ever in the book when the string passes one end of the pully (does not fully wrap around it).

I was wondering since the 2 pulleys are circular shape there length is given by the circumference of a circle. How ever since they do not loop around the pulley (circle), they are a half circle.

is that why the example has the length of string around a pully as Pie*r as opposed to being multiplied each by a constant of 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Type in the problem text and attach a copy of the picture, please. People here are of all age from 10 to 100 I guess and from all countries of the World - most of them do not possesses that book on the bookshelves, so we do not know, what is on page 71 in the red cover edition :)

Sorry about, thanks for informing about the procedure regarding homework help on physics forum. It turns out the my intuition was correct. Mods please close.

Related to Question regarding why an example In kolenkow mechanics

1. What is Kolenkow Mechanics?

Kolenkow Mechanics is a textbook written by Herbert Goldstein and Charles P. Poole Jr. It provides a comprehensive introduction to classical mechanics, covering topics such as Newtonian mechanics, conservation laws, and rotational motion.

2. Why is Kolenkow Mechanics important?

Kolenkow Mechanics is important because it provides a solid foundation in classical mechanics, which is a fundamental branch of physics. This knowledge is essential for understanding the behavior of objects in motion and is applicable to many areas of science and engineering.

3. How is Kolenkow Mechanics different from other textbooks on mechanics?

Kolenkow Mechanics is known for its clear and concise explanations, as well as its focus on problem-solving techniques. It also includes numerous real-world examples and exercises to help students apply the concepts they have learned.

4. Who can benefit from studying Kolenkow Mechanics?

Kolenkow Mechanics is suitable for students and professionals in various fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is also a valuable resource for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of classical mechanics.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying Kolenkow Mechanics?

A basic understanding of calculus and physics is recommended for studying Kolenkow Mechanics. Some knowledge of linear algebra may also be helpful, but not required. The textbook itself provides a review of the necessary mathematical concepts.