Morin classical mechanics page 326 example

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration of a mass connected to a cylinder that is rolling without slipping on a fixed plane. The solution to the problem involves using the equation a2=2 a1, where a1 is the acceleration of the cylinder and a2 is the acceleration of the mass. This relationship is derived from the fact that the speed at the top of the cylinder is twice the speed of the center of mass, and can also potentially be derived from the conservation of string length.
almarpa

Homework Statement

A string wraps around a uniform cylinder of mass M, which rests on a fixed plane with angle θ. The string passes up over a massless pulley and is connected to a mass m. Assume that the cylinder rolls without slipping on the plane, and that the string is parallel to the plane. What is the acceleration of the mass m?

Homework Equations

In the solucion, Morin claims that the masses acceleratins are not the same, and they are related by a2=2 a1, where a1 is the acceleratin for M, and a2 the acceleration for m

The Attempt at a Solution

When solving the problem, I used the same value for both accelerations, that is, a1=a2=a, so my result was wrong. Why are the accelerations different, if the pulley is at rest? Where does the a2=2 a1 equation come from?

Regrads.

Physics news on Phys.org
almarpa said:

Homework Statement

A string wraps around a uniform cylinder of mass M, which rests on a fixed plane with angle θ. The string passes up over a massless pulley and is connected to a mass m. Assume that the cylinder rolls without slipping on the plane, and that the string is parallel to the plane. What is the acceleration of the mass m?

Homework Equations

In the solucion, Morin claims that the masses acceleratin are not the same, and they are related by a2=2 a1, where a1 is the acceleratin for M, and a2 the acceleration for m

The Attempt at a Solution

When solving the problem, I used the same value for both accelerations, that is, a1=a2=a, so my result was wrong. Why are the accelerations different, if the pulley is at rest? Where does the a2=2 a1 equation come from?

Regrads.

When a cylinder/sphere rolls without slipping on a surface ,what is the relationship between velocity of topmost point and velocity of the Center of Mass ?

Last edited:
Yes, I know that the speed in the top is twice the speed of the center of mass, so the accelerations must obey the same relation . This is what Morin suggest to get this equation, altought I have not found the proof for this relation, so I would have never tought of this possibility. I was wondering if this constraint equation can be derived from the "conservation" of the length of the string, as Kleppner - Kolenkow textbook usually does.

Related to Morin classical mechanics page 326 example

1. What is the purpose of the example on page 326 in Morin's classical mechanics textbook?

The purpose of the example on page 326 is to illustrate the application of classical mechanics principles to a specific problem or scenario. It allows readers to see how the concepts and equations discussed in the textbook can be used to solve real-world problems.

2. What are the key concepts or equations used in the example on page 326?

The example on page 326 utilizes concepts and equations related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law (F=ma), as well as principles of energy conservation and work done by forces.

3. How can I use the example on page 326 to improve my understanding of classical mechanics?

The example on page 326 can be used as a practice problem to test your understanding of classical mechanics principles and equations. By working through the example and comparing your solution to the one provided in the textbook, you can identify areas where you may need further study or clarification.

4. Can I apply the example on page 326 to other problems in classical mechanics?

Yes, the example on page 326 can serve as a model for solving similar problems in classical mechanics. By understanding the principles and equations used in the example, you can apply them to other scenarios and problems.

5. What are the benefits of using examples like the one on page 326 in learning classical mechanics?

Examples such as the one on page 326 help to bridge the gap between theoretical concepts and practical applications. They provide a concrete and relatable context for understanding and applying classical mechanics principles, making the subject more accessible and engaging for learners.