Question regarding probability and normal distributions.

In summary, the difficulty is that there is no way you can assume the two test scores are independent, since the same person takes the two tests.
cerealkiller
Hello Mathematicians!

I'm doing some work on obtaining true measures of ability for students, and am trying to find a simple mathematical example that would show that a student's true ability is obtained by having a few equally weighted tests rather than one big test.

The example I'm thinking of is something along the lines of:

A student's "true" ability is 70/100, but if they sit an exam there will be a slight error in their ability measurement. Say that their mark will be normally distributed with a mean of 70 and a standard deviation of 5. So there is a 68% chance that their mark is between 65 and 75.

Now rather than sit a single exam, say that they sit 2 exams instead - both of which their mark will come from a normal distribution with mean 70 and standard deviation 5. The exams will be equally weighted as 50% of their total mark.

Now earlier, if they sat a single exam, there would be a 68% chance that their mark would be between 65 and 75. Now that they are sitting 2 exams each weighted at 50%, what would the probability be that their total mark is between 65 and 75?

Also, what about if there were 3 exams of equal weighting, etc.?

Thanks for the help guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have two scores T1 and T2, identically distributed, and want to calculate T = .5T1 + .5T2 and say something about its distribution?

The difficulty is that there is no way you can assume the two test scores are independent, since the same person takes the two tests. You'd need to make some assumption about the correlation between the two scores.

statdad said:
The difficulty is that there is no way you can assume the two test scores are independent, since the same person takes the two tests.
But it is exactly the dependence on the person taking it that the OP is trying to measure so that he can determine the student's ability. If the tests are spread out over several days, we can assume that the day-to-day variations even out. If the test results are low over several days (perhaps the student is sick for a few weeks), then we may have to conclude that the student is just less capable during that time.

I would say that dividing the test questions into several tests taken on separate days would definitely reduce the effect of day-to-day variations. I think that the central limit theorem could be used to show that the average error rate due to daily variations would approach zero as the testing is spread out over more days.

"I would say that dividing the test questions into several tests taken on separate days would definitely reduce the effect of day-to-day variations. I think that the central limit theorem could be used to show that the average error rate due to daily variations would approach zero as the testing is spread out over more days."

I doubt that splitting things into mini test would eliminate the dependence. The problem is that there is not enough information to allow us to model the form the dependence takes.

Hello,

The concept of using multiple tests to obtain a more accurate measure of ability is known as the "law of large numbers" in statistics. Essentially, as the number of tests increases, the probability of obtaining a true measure of ability also increases.

In your example, if a student sits two exams with equal weighting, the probability of their total mark being between 65 and 75 would be higher than 68%. This is because the probability of obtaining a mark between 65 and 75 on each individual exam is 68%, and with two exams, the chances of obtaining a mark within that range on at least one of the exams is higher.

To calculate the exact probability, we would need to use the formula for the sum of two normally distributed variables. However, as the number of exams increases, the probability of obtaining a true measure of ability also increases.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of using multiple tests to obtain a more accurate measure of ability. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Question regarding probability and normal distributions.

1. What is the difference between probability and normal distributions?

Probability refers to the likelihood of a certain event or outcome occurring. Normal distribution, also known as the Gaussian distribution, is a type of probability distribution that is commonly used to represent real-world data. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and has specific properties such as a mean and standard deviation.

2. How is the mean and standard deviation of a normal distribution calculated?

The mean of a normal distribution is the center point or the highest point of the bell curve. It is calculated by adding all the values in the data set and dividing by the total number of values. The standard deviation is a measure of how spread out the data is from the mean. It is calculated by finding the square root of the variance, which is the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean.

3. What is the 68-95-99.7 rule for normal distributions?

The 68-95-99.7 rule, also known as the empirical rule, is a commonly used rule to understand the spread of data in a normal distribution. It states that approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% within two standard deviations, and 99.7% within three standard deviations.

4. How is the normal distribution used in statistics and data analysis?

The normal distribution is widely used in statistics and data analysis because it accurately represents many real-world phenomena. It allows us to make predictions and estimate probabilities based on data. It is also used to compare and analyze data sets, such as in hypothesis testing and confidence intervals.

5. Can data follow a normal distribution but have a different mean and standard deviation?

Yes, data can follow a normal distribution with different mean and standard deviation values. The shape of the distribution will remain the same, but the center point and spread of the data will change. This is commonly seen in data analysis when comparing different groups or populations.