Question regarding maximum accretion of black holes

In summary, the conversation revolves around the relationship between the accretion efficiency of a black hole, its Eddington luminosity, and the maximum rate at which it can accrete matter. The individual is trying to solve for M(dot), the accretion rate, but is stuck and wonders if the accretion disk's optical thickness plays a role. They also mention the possibility of not assuming a maximum accretion rate.
can't.do.phys
So I've got a question that I can't seem to figure out.

If the accretion efficiency of a black hole is L=εM(dot)c2 with ε=0.1
I have to set this to the Eddington luminosity which is Ledd = 4πcGMmpT to find the maximum rate at which a black hole can accrete by. I found that κ=mpT so I substituted that but then I got stuck. Has it got something to do with the accretion disk being optically thin? the answer should be M(dot)=κM but i can't figure out how to get it. help?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Try not assuming there is a maximum accretion rate.

Related to Question regarding maximum accretion of black holes

1. What is the maximum rate of accretion for a black hole?

The maximum rate of accretion for a black hole is known as the Eddington limit. This limit is determined by the balance between the inward force of gravity and the outward force of radiation pressure. It is calculated to be approximately 10 times the mass of the black hole per year.

2. What factors affect the maximum accretion rate of a black hole?

The maximum accretion rate of a black hole is affected by several factors, including the mass of the black hole, the composition and density of the material being accreted, and the strength of the magnetic field surrounding the black hole.

3. Can a black hole exceed the Eddington limit?

Although the Eddington limit is considered the maximum rate of accretion for a black hole, it is possible for a black hole to accrete material at a higher rate. This can happen if the material being accreted is highly ionized or if the black hole has a strong magnetic field.

4. How does the maximum accretion rate of a black hole affect its growth?

The maximum accretion rate of a black hole plays a significant role in determining its growth rate. If a black hole is accreting material at the Eddington limit, it will grow at a steady rate. However, if it exceeds the Eddington limit, it can lead to rapid growth and the formation of supermassive black holes.

5. How do scientists measure the maximum accretion rate of a black hole?

There are several methods that scientists use to measure the maximum accretion rate of a black hole. One method is to observe the X-ray emissions from the accretion disk around the black hole. Another method is to measure the rate at which the black hole is consuming surrounding gas and dust. Additionally, simulations and theoretical models can also be used to estimate the maximum accretion rate of a black hole.