Question regarding gamma function

In summary, the gamma function is a mathematical function defined as the integral of a power function with an exponential function. According to the textbook, the gamma function can be expressed as \int_{0}^{\infty }{{{x}^{n}}{{e}^{-ax}}dx}=\frac{\Gamma \left( n+1 \right)}{{{a}^{n+1}}}, where n can be any real number greater than -1. It does not have to be an integer or a half-integer for the gamma function to work.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

I have a quick question about the gamma function.

According to my textbook it says:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty }{{{x}^{n}}{{e}^{-ax}}dx}=\frac{\Gamma \left( n+1 \right)}{{{a}^{n+1}}}[/tex]
where [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is the gamma function. My question is, do n has to be an integer number, or can it also be a half-integer number for the gamma function to work ?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Denver Dang said:

Homework Statement

I have a quick question about the gamma function.

According to my textbook it says:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty }{{{x}^{n}}{{e}^{-ax}}dx}=\frac{\Gamma \left( n+1 \right)}{{{a}^{n+1}}}[/tex]
where [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is the gamma function. My question is, do n has to be an integer number, or can it also be a half-integer number for the gamma function to work ?

Thanks in advance.

n is any real number > -1.

Ok, thank you very much :)

Related to Question regarding gamma function

1. What is the gamma function and what is its purpose?

The gamma function is a mathematical function that extends the concept of factorial to non-integer numbers. Its purpose is to provide a continuous and smooth interpolation between factorial values, making it useful in various mathematical and statistical applications.

2. How is the gamma function defined?

The gamma function is defined as Γ(z) = ∫0 xz-1e-xdx, where z is a complex number and the integral is evaluated from 0 to infinity.

3. What are some properties of the gamma function?

Some properties of the gamma function include: it is an analytic function, it has simple poles at the negative integers, it satisfies the functional equation Γ(z+1) = zΓ(z), and it has a relation to the beta function through the identity Γ(z)Γ(1-z) = π/sin(πz).

4. What are some applications of the gamma function?

The gamma function has various applications in mathematics, statistics, and physics. It is used in the computation of various special functions, such as the Bessel function and the incomplete gamma function. It is also used in the evaluation of complex integrals and in probability distributions, such as the chi-squared distribution.

5. Are there any alternative representations of the gamma function?

Yes, there are alternative representations of the gamma function, such as the infinite product representation Γ(z) = (1/z)eγzn=1 (1+z/n)e-z/n, where γ is the Euler-Mascheroni constant. There are also various approximations and numerical algorithms for computing the gamma function.