Question regarding Energy in Circuits with Capacitors

In summary, the amount of energy stored in capacitors connected in parallel is directly proportional to the capacitance value, while in series, it is inversely proportional. This is due to the way the voltage and current are distributed in each type of connection.
Phy_TR
Hey everyone!

I have a doubt that relates to energy stored in different capacitors (when they're in a circuit). I understand how in capacitors connected in parallel, the capacitor with the biggest capacitance stores the most energy because:

E = 1/2 CV2

So naturally the bigger the capacitance the bigger the stored energy. However, I don't understand how this is reversed with two capacitors connected in series. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and I hope I posted this in the correct forum!

Physics news on Phys.org
Phy_TR said:
Hey everyone!

I have a doubt that relates to energy stored in different capacitors (when they're in a circuit). I understand how in capacitors connected in parallel, the capacitor with the biggest capacitance stores the most energy because:

E = 1/2 CV2

So naturally the bigger the capacitance the bigger the stored energy. However, I don't understand how this is reversed with two capacitors connected in series. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and I hope I posted this in the correct forum!
The linking formula is Q = CV
Both series capacitors have the same charge so the PD across each one is inversely proportional to the capacitance value. Fit that into your Energy equation and you have your answer; it's in the V2 term, which 'beats' the C term

Consider the result of connecting 2 capacitors is the opposite to connecting 2 resistors, as capacitors will allow current to pass through and will oppose a change in voltage.

With 2 equal capacitors connected in parallel, they will equally share the voltage and accordingly the current. The capacitors will store equal amounts of energy during the upswing phase of the voltage supply and release equal amounts during the downward sweep, noting that voltage will lag the current by 90 degrees in phase. Using capacitors of different values will shift the amount of energy through each one but as they share a common input and output line, the output will be reflective of the input save for the voltage being 90 degrees behind the current.

With any 2 capacitors connected in series; the second capacitor can only be charged by the energy released by the first, as such they will all have the same charge. Even if the second capacitor is considerably larger in value than the first, it is still limited in how much energy is released to it. As such, the voltage is divided across all of the capacitors while the current remains constant. This in turn declares that total capacitance will be less than the value of the smallest capacitor in the chain by virtue of Kirchoff's Voltage Law.

Related to Question regarding Energy in Circuits with Capacitors

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, it creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the charge. The amount of charge that a capacitor can hold is determined by its capacitance, which is measured in Farads (F).

2. How does a capacitor affect the flow of current in a circuit?

A capacitor can affect the flow of current in a circuit by storing and releasing electrical energy. When a capacitor is fully charged, it blocks the flow of current. However, when the capacitor is connected to a circuit with a lower voltage, it will release the stored energy, allowing current to flow through the circuit. This can be useful in smoothing out fluctuations in current and providing a stable source of energy.

3. What is the role of a capacitor in an AC circuit?

In an AC (alternating current) circuit, a capacitor is used to store electrical energy and release it in a controlled manner. This helps to regulate the flow of current and can also be used to adjust the phase of the current. Capacitors are commonly used in AC circuits for power factor correction, filtering, and timing purposes.

4. Can a capacitor store and release unlimited amounts of energy?

No, a capacitor has a limited capacitance and can only store a certain amount of electrical energy. The amount of energy a capacitor can store is determined by its capacitance and the voltage applied. If too much energy is stored in a capacitor, it can fail or even explode. It is important to select a capacitor with the appropriate capacitance for the intended use.

5. How does the size and shape of a capacitor affect its performance?

The size and shape of a capacitor can affect its performance in several ways. A larger capacitor will have a higher capacitance and can store more energy. The shape of the plates and the distance between them can also impact the capacitance. Additionally, the physical size and shape of a capacitor can affect its ability to handle high voltages and currents. Therefore, it is important to select a capacitor with the appropriate size and shape for the desired application.